A few magical items...

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

A few magical items...

Postby Stam » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:26 pm

Rod of Eldritch Power (CMage, p. 127) reworked into a WI (probably glove or bracer slot?). Allows a 5/day swift action use of a single blast shape or essence, predetermined at creation. Pricing varies based on level of invocation (4k for Least, 16k for Lesser, 36k for Greater, Unlikely to be seen on this site for the Dark).

I'd also be interested to know (for the higher-level invocations) if this can be further broken down by dividing the costs by 5 for single uses per day.

Alternatively - although I see this as completely unlikely - is there a Knowstone equivalent, or one that can be created, for Warlocks?

Third Eye: Penetrate. Face slot item from TBTSNBN, p. 142, that grants a +2 bonus to CL checks vs. SR. Priced at 8k, I'd guess this is showing a pricing scale similar to weapon enhancements?

Note: I accidentally hit Edit instead of Reply when I first worked with this post, so I hacked off parts of it before I caught what I'd done. Sorry. -Ian
Stam

Postby Ian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Rod of Eldritch Power (CMage, p. 127) reworked into a WI (probably glove or bracer slot?). Allows a 5/day swift action use of a single blast shape or essence, predetermined at creation. Pricing varies based on level of invocation (4k for Least, 16k for Lesser, 36k for Greater, Unlikely to be seen on this site for the Dark).

The rod itself? Sure, that pricing is probably fine. As a WI? Pay the inappropriate slot premium. Craft Rod is useless enough as it is; the ability to work its few decent entries into other items without some sort of drawback is best avoided.

I'd also be interested to know (for the higher-level invocations) if this can be further broken down by dividing the costs by 5 for single uses per day.

No.

Alternatively - although I see this as completely unlikely - is there a Knowstone equivalent, or one that can be created, for Warlocks?

The Codex Advocare, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, grants one extra Least Invocation known for 20K gp. This is as close as it gets, and there are no other equivalent items for higher-level invocations. (If you wanted to say such could exist, you'd have to have them go by the standard geometric pricing structure: 80K, 180K, 320K. Good luck with that.)

Third Eye: Penetrate. Face slot item from TBTSNBN, p. 142, that grants a +2 bonus to CL checks vs. SR. Priced at 8k, I'd guess this is showing a pricing scale similar to weapon enhancements?

You'd probably guess accurately, and that seems fine by me; 2K x bonus squared for SR-penetration check boosts is fair enough.
Ian

Re:

Postby Stam » Thu May 26, 2011 8:42 am

Ian wrote:

The rod itself? Sure, that pricing is probably fine. As a WI? Pay the inappropriate slot premium. Craft Rod is useless enough as it is; the ability to work its few decent entries into other items without some sort of drawback is best avoided.

Thread necromancy for follow-up questions!

If I put this power in a Ring instead of a WI, will it still incur the Inappropriate Slot premium?
Does the Inappropriate Slot premium stack with the Multiple Abilities premium?
If the enchantment is made into a Slotless benefit (x2 price factor) will this bypass the Inappropriate Slot and/or Multiple Abilities premiums?

(More specifically, I'm looking at Eldritch Spear, Least blast shape invocation.)
Stam

Re: A few magical items...

Postby Stam » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 am

*posts again to note that after a purchase today, Tahiri no longer has the funds to make this, so priority for answer just got way downgraded*
Stam

Postby Ian » Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 am

These answers apply to all items, and are thus fairly easy:

- I've more or less decided that, due to the requirements and otherwise situational nature of the Forge Ring feat, pretty much anything is considered appropriate for the Ring slot. Unless you're going for something totally bizarre, ignore the Inappropriate Slot premium when considering ring pricing.

- Inappropriate Slot and Multiple Abilities premiums stack.

- Slotless bypasses Inappropriate Slot, as a Slotless item by definition is in an appropriate slot (i.e., none at all). It does stack with the Multiple Abilities premium.
"Nothing will ever change. That cycle of mediocrity isn't due to some obstacle. It's who you are. The thing standing in the way of your dreams is that the person having them is you."
Ian

Re:

Postby tachus » Thu May 26, 2011 12:45 pm

You'd probably guess accurately, and that seems fine by me; 2K x bonus squared for SR-penetration check boosts is fair enough.[/quote]

slightly hijacking thread with another question... with regards to this +CL vs SR ability, is the face slot the 'appropriate' slot? or are there others it could be put on without the price increase?
"Oderint Dum Metuant" - Emperor Caligula

"Experience is not what happens to a man; It is what a man does with what happens to him." - Aldous Huxley

PCs: Sambiir TaKorc-Wands, Vairc Delvaux, Kell Ironclaw, Zander Stormwave
tachus

Postby Stam » Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Ian wrote:These answers apply to all items, and are thus fairly easy:

- I've more or less decided that, due to the requirements and otherwise situational nature of the Forge Ring feat, pretty much anything is considered appropriate for the Ring slot. Unless you're going for something totally bizarre, ignore the Inappropriate Slot premium when considering ring pricing.

- Inappropriate Slot and Multiple Abilities premiums stack.

- Slotless bypasses Inappropriate Slot, as a Slotless item by definition is in an appropriate slot (i.e., none at all). It does stack with the Multiple Abilities premium.

Ignoring the hijack (or perhaps re-hijacking it):

1) Thanks!
2) Would you mind stickying these somewhere for future reference of all?
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers