Creating Healing Items

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Creating Healing Items

Postby tehwalrus » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

How does item creation work when crafting permanent items with healing spells?

For instance a Cure Minor Wounds ring with unlimited uses, or a small medallion that when pressed to a wound will cast Cure Light Wounds 5 times a day.
tehwalrus

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:00 am

We use the table for item creation in the DMG for most item creation pricing. Basically you have to have the appropriate Magic Item Creation feat, and find a way to meet the pre-requisites for any particular item.

For example, if you were looking to create a Necklace of Cure Light Wounds (not an unusual item) you would need the Craft Wondrous Item feat and either be able to cast Cure Light Wounds, or have someone else help you that did have the spell. Pricing would be based on the number of uses per day and caster level. (I believe the price is 400gp for CLW 1/day at CL1.)

A ring of unlimited Cure Minor Wounds is essentially a modified ring of regeneration. To create a ring would require the Forge Ring feat, in which case a character needs to be 12th level to qualify. And while technically you could buy such a ring from an npc sooner than actually reaching 12th, I suspect that the price would be well beyond what most low level characters around here could afford. (Pricing non-standard magic items is not my forte, so I'll leave the numbers to the experts. *g*)
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:12 am

Unlimited curing items as a general rule are not allowed as they break the game at minimal cost. We also use a modified table from the DMG for certain X use/day items. Please speak with a DM prior to crafting X/day items.

Thanks
Keith

Postby Stam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 am

If the cost is strictly following the table, broken for sure...but, if one did want to create an item that allowed unlimited uses of, say, Lesser Vigor at CL 1st. What would be deemed an appropriate cost premium for what is effectively complete out-of-battle healing?

(It's like granting Fast Healing 1 to the entire party, but only a minute at a time each. So, huge, but of little combat ability at the level it would be buyable at.)

And, keeping in mind that a 5/day item of same is 1,800, and five or six of these can potentially do the same job...comes to 9,000 gp for five...
Would 10k-15k seem appropriate for such an item, given all that?
Stam

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Unlimited curing items are not allowed. That would include the vigor series of spells.
Keith

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Even WotC doesn't "strictly" follow the table and adds its own disclaimer to the chart. It's a decent place to start to get ballpark ideas, but for actual prices of magic items in general you would want to run the item in question by a DM. And of course, not everything is going to exist even if numerically it can be generated.
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
JuneBarcarolle

Re: Creating Healing Items

Postby Ian » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:16 am

Since I'm going back through in my somewhat-loopy insomniac state to address some old questions, I'll tag this one as well.

Keith and June indirectly addressed the question at hand, discussing custom magic items in general, but I'll add some specifics on unlimited healing.

1. Unlimited healing items get tagged primarily because they break the paradigm of limited party resources. In particular, hit points are supposed to be a precious party resource, and as a party progresses through multiple possible encounters in a day, hit points are supposed to be one of the primary contributors to a steadily increasing difficulty; recovering them is supposed to bite deeper into the resource pool, and take some time to deal with that the party may or may not have.

With unlimited healing, meanwhile, everyone starts a battle at full health 100% of the time with but a trivial investment of time and *no* investment in resources. Yeah, you can account for that as a DM, but most people aren't used to doing so, in part because (in my experience) most people are used to the existing paradigm and don't allow items that break it.

So yeah, items that provide healing are at a premium. We don't do unlimited heals, and you can expect charged-heal items to run extra as compared to their formulae.

2. Fast healing is valued pretty highly by WotC, at least in Core. (MICmp is a separate flavor of weird in this regard.) A Ring of Rapid Healing, granting fast healing 3 (i.e., permanent vigor) will run you 300,000 gp. The feat granting the same is also Epic and requires Con 25. Do I think that's the most appropriate baseline? Not really, but the point is that with that precedent to work from, unlimited FH is most certainly not something we're going to happily see parties get a hold of with an 1,800 gp piece of magical crap.
Ian

Postby Xairren » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Would prices be any different for "Faith Healing" items?
Xairren

Postby Ian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Theoretically not. The faith healing spell is supposedly balanced against cure light wounds (Maximized, but works only on followers of your own deity), so prices on CLW-based items should hold true for FH-based items as well.

On the other hand, one traditional way to game the system has always been to sneak in cheaper items with meaningless use-limitations like, "It's a staff of Maximized heal, but it only works on snobby elves named Xairren...that's worth at least a 75% price cut, right?" Allowing such always been a pretty easy way of destroying item balance, though in this case (FH v. CLW, not the staff for Xairren) the balance seems relatively equal.

So I suppose my answer is a qualified no--it doesn't affect the pricing one way or the other, but this would be open to review if there's something I'm missing.
Ian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers