Tongues spell, x/day item

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Tongues spell, x/day item

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 pm

So say one wants to buy an item (necklace maybe?) of Tongues

It will cast 1/day the Tongues spell via command word

Going off the formula of (spell level) * (caster level) * (1800 gp) * (1/5)

1) Is that the correct formula to use to calculate the market price of 1/day tongues spell item?

2) Is there a cheaper forumla to use?

3) Is there a pre existing similar item on some book?

Thanks for all your helpful input folks =D
Last edited by Bob on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Re: Tongues spell, x/day item

Postby Stam » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:56 pm

I can answer (1) for you...only if you want Ian to find out where you live and use your copy of the DMG as a rectal suppository. *g*
Stam

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:42 am

The answer to (2) is "No. If 7-33 turns out to be the basis of such an item's final price, you're using the right entry. You really should be answering #3 before looking at #1 or #2, though."

The answer to (3) is "Good question. Not sure off the top of my head--seems like I've seen one somewhere before, but I don't recall where. Let me know what you find out."
Ian

Postby Rosemadder » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Is it Pierced Tongues (-2 mod to listeners trying to understand you) or Healthy Intact Tongues?
Rosemadder

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:37 am

Please confirm the costing below is accurate.

Message from bob on this item:

Allison would like to create a magic item that will cast the Tongues spell (PHB I) once per day via command word.

I believe it will be on a headband item for the head slot (as Ian posted an explaination of magic item slots and types here )

Since I cannot find a pre existing item that does this, I will be using the magic creation formulas denoted

here (Under headings: "Command word" & "Charges per day")

and

forum thread here

As denoted here (Under headings: Spellcasting and Services: Service)

Allison will pay 80 gp (for a 2nd-level-spell: 20 gp * caster-level)
... for a bard of at least 4th level; to cast 2nd-level-bard-spell Tongues spell (PHB I)

The market price of the magic item itself should be

(Caster-Level) * (spell-level) * (1800 gp) * (1/5)
= (4th level bard) * (2nd level bard spell) * (1800 gp) * (1/5)
= (4) * (2) * (1800 g) * (1/5)
= 2880 gp

The creation takes Allison 3 day
And costs her a total of 116 EXP
And 1520 gp (1440 gp raw materials + 80 gp to hire the bard )

Allison will start the item on June 13/2010 and will be done on June 17/2010

The magic item should be able to cast the tongues spell via command word as a 4th level bard, and the effect should last 40 minutes
Keith

Postby Stam » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:20 am

Assuming the Bard version of the spell is allowed for use to reduce cost, the spellcasting services would be 240 gp (80 gp per day of crafting).
Stam

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 am

I think someone misunderstood when I said "If 7-33 turns out to be the basis of the final price." As per this thread, always use it as the basis for evaluating worth, not as the end in itself. *g*

That said, when using the formulas to gauge an item's price, there is a certain order in which you have to look at the classes--this is so every item based on a certain spell has the same save DC, reacts the same way to spells based on spell level, minimum CL, etc. Otherwise you have to print crap like bard's crystal ball, cleric's crystal ball, and wizard's crystal ball, all of which have different DCs (since it's a different-level spell for each class) and react differently to, say, a globe of invulnerability. That would suck, so we don't do it.

The specific book reference escapes me at the moment, unfortunately, and it's an obscure reference anyway. But basically, you first look to see if the spell exists as a Sor/Wiz spell, then if it exists as a Cleric spell, then a Druid spell, then a Bard spell, and finally a Ranger or Paladin spell. Whichever is the first class you get to with that spell on its list, you price it on those terms.

In this case, tongues is a Sor/Wiz spell first, so you price it as a 3rd-level spell with minimum CL 5th. 5 x 3 x 1800 x 1/5 = 5400g.

Is it worth 5400g? That's a question more suited for after I've safely absconded to work.
Ian

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:04 pm

So the market price of the item might be 5400 gp and the cost of raw materials to make it might be 2700 gp?

Does that mean Allison might be able use her own Tongues spell from her cleric class, and the item will cost 2700 in raw materials? Or does Allison need to seek out a wizard now?
Bob

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Bob wrote:So the market price of the item might be 5400 gp and the cost of raw materials to make it might be 2700 gp?

Does that mean Allison might be able use her own Tongues spell from her cleric class, and the item will cost 2700 in raw materials? Or does Allison need to seek out a wizard now?

If you have access to the required spell, you can make the item. The class list is used specifically for ensuring the same item has the same effect and value regardless of its maker, nothing more.

A Bard 4 with CWI and Tongues as a spell known, for instance, gets to make this item a level before a Wizard does, though he'll pay the same price to do it, it'll have the same effects, and will sell for the same price. (To that theoretical bard: Merry Christmas. The PHB will be kicking you in the balls for the New Year for being a bard.) Meanwhile, a cleric like Allison gets to wait until she has 4th-level spells, but it still costs her the same amount and has the same effects.

So should the market price of this item be set to 5400g (hint: it is), it would indeed cost Allison 2700g in materials and 216 XP, regardless of what level she gets the spell at.
Ian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers