Power Shot (bows)

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Power Shot (bows)

Postby Stam » Wed May 16, 2012 2:05 pm

From here.

(Side Note: Hank's Energy Bow is pretty much well underpriced as per what's already approved here. It seems to be a +2 Force Large Composite Longbow with the Adjustable Str Mod property. That makes it a +4 equivalent bow with 3,000 gp of additionals before looking at the Power Shot ability...need I say more?)

That said: Power Shot is the ability archers need to fix the damage output problem (the abovementioned Force property takes care of the prior DR problem), and it's something available to melee from level 1.

I had unofficially kicked this around with Ian a few months ago, but nothing concrete came of it.

So: How much would you pay...?
Stam

Re: Power Shot (bows)

Postby Ian » Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 am

Feats- and feat-equivalents-on-items has always been interesting. And I'll look at this through that prism, since Power Shot is basically Power Attack for ranged weapons (minus the option for double damage with a two-handed wield).

Some breakdown/process stuff follows; if you don't care, skip to the non-quoted text at the end.

Process wrote:Arms and Equipment Guide came closest to giving any sort of even 7.33-ish rule of thumb on pricing. Feats are roughly 5K, +5K per prerequisite feat, +2500 per non-feat prerequisite. That's of course highly subjective, given that feats within even the same tier range from "reasonably decent" to "hilariously awful." WotC's own pricing seems similarly arbitrary: Improved Unarmed Strike is 1K, while Alertness is 5K, but both are first-tier feats with no prerequisite and similar utility. Yes, AaEG's...uneven pricing structures are well-known.

So basically, the closest 7.33 equivalent says Power Shot is about 7500g, and we'll give that exactly as much credence as it deserves.

The other factor here is whether we make it plus-based (such as on a weapon) or flat-cost (such as on a wondrous item). Plus-based cost varies depending on when you add it, of course, but the minimum cost tends to be lower than the item equivalent (generally by dint of only being applicable to the weapon you're using). Feat-giving items tend to use a mix of these, even when they directly enhance combat ability.

That said, we do have similar items to work from here: We have gloves that grant Two-Weapon Fighting (Tier-1.5) for 8K, a face-slot item granting Far Shot (Tier-2) for 8K, a bow enhancement with Precise Shot (Tier-2) for +1 and a rod for the same feat (spells/SLAs only) for 12K, and a weapon enhancement with Improved Critical (high Tier-1.5) for +1.

Power Shot would be Tier-1.5, but unusually so in that (if it were a feat at all, anyway) it's a staple feat that absolutely every archer would want, and it scales in a way many feats don't. In this way, I'd say it's most like Precise Shot, another feat every archer on the planet wants, and one that if placed on an item is logically limited to a certain segment of attack types.

So we'll price the Power Shot feature like so:
- If placed on an item, it costs 12,000 gp. It fits in the Arms, Hands, or Ring slots, and applies to bow or thrown weapon attacks.
- If placed on a weapon, it is a +1-equivalent weapon enhancement. It becomes the powerful enhancement, and can only be applied to bows or throwing weapons.
- To create either sort of item, you need the spell bull's strength or arrow mind.

It's possibly too cheap there insofar as I see most archers grabbing it as a matter of course, but for its actual benefit that's probably about par.
Ian

Re: Power Shot (bows)

Postby Stam » Thu May 17, 2012 6:20 pm

On behalf of myself, Donn and anyone else who makes an archer: Thanks! :)
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers