Master's Strike (new spell)

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Master's Strike (new spell)

Postby Murdling » Wed May 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Transmutation

Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Melee
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (or Reflex - see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The caster slowly braces their legs, rooting to the ground in a solid stance. They reach one arm back and throw a single simple straight punch. Should the attack land it strikes with meteor-like force, doing considerable harm and potentially knocking it's target back.

Most of the time this spell is used with a degree of caution considering how close the caster must be to the target, however it can be used more recklessly. Inviting a counterattack can leave the victim open to a much more dangerous blow.

Master's Strike requires a melee attack roll (not a touch attack) to hit it's target. Should the attack land it does 1d6 bludgeoning damage per clvl, up to 15d6. (The caster receives a competence bonus to the attack roll equal to their Int or Charisma bonus as determined by what class they are using to cast the spell.)

If the caster is the target of an AoO *from the spell's target* the spell does another 50% damage assuming it isn't disrupted. If this occurs and the spell still lands the victim must make a reflex save or be knocked back 1d6 squares and rendered prone.
Last edited by Murdling on Fri May 15, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murdling

Re: Master's Strike (new spell)

Postby J.C. » Thu May 14, 2015 8:00 am

This sounds like a pretty good spell, if it fleshes out, but I would question the 20d6 max.

I was just looking at some 3rd lvl spells and can't find any that top out at 20d anything, rather all I see max out at 10dx, so that might be the first thing to fix.

I would also lean more toward possibly being a Conjuration based spell.

You might also want to give it a Crit range of 20x2

My 2¢
J.C.

Postby Ian » Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 am

J.C.: Spell effects by default have a critical range of 20/x2.

Murd: The way the spell is worded pretty boldly declares Transmutation. Evocation channels energy (in the DnD sense, not the physics sense), this simply lets you land one solid punch.

Also, what J.C. said about the damage cap is valid. 3rd-level spells don't go to 20d6. (There's one exception in the entire game: it's Evocation, it requires four rolls to hit, and it's the best single-target L3 damage spell in the game.)

Stacking multiple ability modifiers to the attack roll is a suboptimal way to handle what you're doing with the attack roll. The standard mechanic for this is best: Allow the primary casting ability to replace Dex or Str. If you want to give the attack a better chance to hit, give a typed bonus, make it a touch, or allow the caster to replace BAB with caster level.

It took me like three tries reading the last paragraph to figure out what the heck that effect was doing, and I still don't understand why it does that--it seems a non-sequitur to the rest of the spell.
Ian

Postby Murdling » Thu May 14, 2015 9:23 am

Alright let me shuffle a couple things around..
Murdling

Postby Murdling » Fri May 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Edited things a touch more
Murdling

Postby tooitalian » Sat May 30, 2015 2:47 am

I like this spell
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
tooitalian

Postby Murdling » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Alright since this died after my last edit apparently I'll try to just flat out concede a few things from it so it's not something that requires so much thought.

Transmutation

Master's Strike requires a melee attack roll (not a touch attack) to hit it's target. Should the attack land it does 1d6 bludgeoning damage per clvl, up to 10d6. (The caster receives a competence bonus to the attack roll equal to their Int or Charisma bonus as determined by what class they are using to cast the spell.)

If the spell is not cast defensively treat it as being empowered. Extra risk for extra strength on the hit. Targets struck by this version must make a reflex save or be knocked back 1d4 squares.
Murdling

Postby Kemian » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Approved:

Murdling wrote:Alright since this died after my last edit apparently I'll try to just flat out concede a few things from it so it's not something that requires so much thought.

Transmutation

Master's Strike requires a melee attack roll (not a touch attack) to hit it's target. Should the attack land it does 1d6 bludgeoning damage per clvl, up to 10d6. (The caster receives a competence bonus to the attack roll equal to their Int or Charisma bonus as determined by what class they are using to cast the spell.)

If the spell is not cast defensively treat it as being empowered. Extra risk for extra strength on the hit. Targets struck by this version must make a reflex save or be knocked back 1d4 squares.
Kemian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers