Darkness & Hiding

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Darkness & Hiding

Postby Murdling » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm curious if being in the area of a Darkness effect is sufficient to attempt a hide check if otherwise observed.

Normally Hide says you need total concealment or the like, but it says there are exceptions. Now, Darkness provides partial concealment but it IS putting you in the middle of a 360 degree sphere of effect so I'm wondering if that's worthy of being one of the exceptions.
Murdling

Re: Darkness & Hiding

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:56 pm

There's technically no such thing as "partial concealment." There's "concealment" and "total concealment," darkness provides the former, and that's all you need to attempt a Hide check.

By contrast, if you have total concealment, you don't even need to make a Hide check. The cover rules work the same way; with cover I can make a Hide check (because I have something to help block vision, but there's still a chance you could see me), with total cover I don't have to (you have a 0% chance of seeing through a brick wall, natural 20 or not).
Ian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers