Craft Wondrous Items

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Craft Wondrous Items

Postby J.C. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:08 pm

I have been reading around trying to determine just what the cost of making Wondrous Items is going to be, and after reading the PHB p92/93 which says,

CRAFT WONDROUS ITEM [ITEM CREATION]
You can create a wide variety of magic items, such as a crystal ball or a flying carpet.
Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.
Benefit: You can create any wondrous item whose prerequisites you meet (see the Dungeon Master’s Guide for prerequisites and other information on wondrous items). Enchanting a wondrous item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To enchant a wondrous item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price.
You can also mend a broken wondrous item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the XP, half the raw materials, and half the time it would take to craft that item in the first place.
Some wondrous items incur extra costs in material components or XP, as noted in their descriptions. These costs are in addition to those derived from the item’s base price. You must pay such a cost to create an item or to mend a broken one.

And reading this from the SRD it says,

Prerequisite: Caster level 3rd.

Benefit: You can create any wondrous item whose prerequisites you meet. Enchanting a wondrous item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To enchant a wondrous item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price.
You can also mend a broken wondrous item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the XP, half the raw materials, and half the time it would take to craft that item in the first place.
Some wondrous items incur extra costs in material components or XP, as noted in their descriptions. These costs are in addition to those derived from the item’s base price. You must pay such a cost to create an item or to mend a broken one.

I really need to ask the question.... What is the cost of making an enchanted Wondrous Item, as both of these statements say "To enchant a wondrous item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price.", which says to me, you pay 1/25 in XP and 1/12th in materials?

J.C.
J.C.

Re: Craft Wondrous Items

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:20 pm

If I read it right. It says. 1/25 of Xp, and The materials is Half of "That" cost. So if the cost was say... 2000, half of 2k is 1k. I could be wrong.
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Postby J.C. » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Ok, after doing some more reading, I have evidence that the amount is 1/2 of the 1/25th.

The Craft Magical Arms and Armor states;

Enhancing a weapon, suit of armor, or shield takes one day for each 1,000 gp in the price of its magical features. To enhance a weapon, suit of armor, or shield, you must spend 1/25 of its features’ total price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this total price.

And Craft Rod says;

Crafting a rod takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. To craft a rod, you must spend 1/25 of its base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of its base price.

And Craft Staff says;

Crafting a staff takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. To craft a staff, you must spend 1/25 of its base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of its base price.

And Craft Wand says;

To craft a wand, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price
J.C.

Postby Murdling » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:48 pm

No. DS is right.

The base price is the 2000 in her example. Not the 1/25th
Murdling

Postby Stam » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:12 pm

What they said.

You pay half the market value ("Base" cost) in gold for magical supplies, and 1/25 of the market value in XP.

Check any magic item entry, and you'll find the cost of crafting the item is almost always going to be half of the retail purchase price.
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers