Dark Lantern

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Dark Lantern

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:29 pm

I found this under a list of things that would benefit a Spellthief, in fact it would benefit a Rogue of any color. It's suppose to couple with HIPS, really.

Tome of Magic, around page 155ish

Updated Below: Included the spell, that is used in the craft of the lantern. So, that everyone can see the basics behind the item.

Dark Lantern:
Designed by Shadowcasters, a dark Lantern sheds a mystical light in the form of a Shadowy illumination.

Description:
This item is a hooded lantern, constructed of black iron with a mithral filigree. It's crystalline panels are tinted bright gold. When light, the lantern radiates shadowy illumination out to 60ft. The light flickers more slowly then a normal fire, and the crackle of the flames sounds more like plodding footsteps.

Activation:
You strike a light within, just as if it were a normal lantern. The lantern must have oil or other fuel. You also speak a command word, such as "Shadows" or "Darkness" The Activation process requires a full-round action. You can deactivate the lantern by opening it and blowing out the flame within. ( altogether a standard action.)

Effect:
A dark lantern sheds a mystic light that creates shadowy illumination, modifying the brightness of ambient light as well as spells of equal or lower level with the light or darkness descriptor.

Aura/Caster Level: Moderate Evocation, CL9th
Construction: Craft Wonderous Item, "Dusk and Dawn" 1000g, 80xp and 2 days
Weight: 2lbs
Price: 2000g
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Re: Dark Lantern

Postby Kemian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:41 pm

In my opinion the spell that should be associated with this item would be Darkness or Deeper Darkness. Pricing doesn't look terrible to me, although it could be argued that since you could set this tool on the ground after activating it that you could make an argument for it being considered slotless and as such subject to x 2 premium. Since you have to hold the item in your hand to activate it AND it requires a full round to activate I am inclined to disagree with that assessment.

As this reads I do not have a problem with the item and I don't find the pricing to be out of line but I invite Ian and the rest of the DM team to chime in here.
Kemian

Postby Seekerthefallen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:03 pm

"Dusk to Dawn"

Tome of Magic: pg 144

Dusk and Dawn
Apprentice, Shutters and Clouds
Level/School: 1st/Evocation
Range: Close (25ft+5ft/2levels)
Area: 20ft ft-radius emanation centered on a point in space
Duration: 10 minutes/Level(D)
Saving Throws: None
Spell Resistance: No

By drawing shade from the Plane of Shadow, or banishing the shadows back to it, you controll the level of illumination in the area.

You make a dark area lighter or a light area darker, blanketing the affected area in shadowy illumination. Creatires with darkvision can see through this area normally.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:25 am

Dark Lantern:
Designed by Shadowcasters, a dark Lantern sheds a mystical light in the form of a Shadowy illumination.

Description:
This item is a hooded lantern, constructed of black iron with a mithral filigree. It's crystalline panels are tinted bright gold. When light, the lantern radiates shadowy illumination out to 60ft. The light flickers more slowly then a normal fire, and the crackle of the flames sounds more like plodding footsteps.

Activation:
You strike a light within, just as if it were a normal lantern. The lantern must have oil or other fuel. You also speak a command word, such as "Shadows" or "Darkness" The Activation process requires a full-round action. You can deactivate the lantern by opening it and blowing out the flame within. ( altogether a standard action.)

Effect:
A dark lantern sheds a mystic light that creates shadowy illumination, modifying the brightness of ambient light as well as spells of equal or lower level with the light or darkness descriptor.

Aura/Caster Level: Moderate Evocation, CL9th
Construction: Craft Wonderous Item, "Darkness" spell, 1000g, 80xp and 2 days
Weight: 2lbs
Price: 2000g

Seekerthefallen

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm fine with this. It invokes the part of the darkness spell that makes Murd and I roll our eyes a little bit (the fact that a spell that creates "darkness" can actually illuminate a pitch-black area), but that's more or less irrelevant to the item aside from us likely getting a little chuckle whenever it's actually used. Approved.
Ian

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you. It's just a fun niche' this for later.

Seekerthefallen

Return to Rules Questions & Answers