Master of Elements

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Master of Elements

Postby J.C. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Whew, you all had better watch out, the few braincells I have working today are giving me a headache, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Dungeon Masters Guide, p179

Mastery of Elements:
The archmage can alter an arcane spell when cast so that it utilizes a different element from
the one it normally uses. For example, an archmage could cast a fireball that deals sonic damage instead of fire damage.
This ability can only alter a spell with the acid, cold, fire, electricity, or sonic descriptor.
The spell’s casting time is unaffected. The caster decides whether to alter the spell’s energy
type and chooses the new energy type when he begins casting. This ability costs one 8th-level spell slot.

Now, my question is, using the example above, would the new Sonic Ball act as a Sonic spell with changing the SR/Save aspects of the spell as say an Orb of Sound, well as the energy type?

A rational braincell implosion.

J.C.
J.C.

Re: Master of Elements

Postby Kemian » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Fireball is still SR yes. Changing the energy type to Sound does NOT effect Spell Resistance.
Kemian

Postby J.C. » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Another thought has just risen to the surface and has bugged me, so I am letting it loose on you all.

This ability to turn a spell into a different element only says what element you can use to do the turning, it does not say what element you can use to turn the spell into.

So, that being said, is it possible to turn that same fireball into a Ball of Force?

Also, can this be used as many times per day as the amount of available spells to change?

Sorry if I stunk up the place with another brain fart.

J.C.
J.C.

Postby Kemian » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:23 pm

This ability is for changing one of the five energy types to another one of the five energy types.

Fire to Acid, Electricity, Cold, or Sound.

Cold to Acid, Electricity, Fire, or Sound.

Electricity to Acid, Cold, Fire, or Sound.

Acid to Electricity, Fire, Cold, or Sound.

Sound to Fire, Cold, Electricity, or Acid.
Kemian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers