Factotum Class Features: Faking It Is Enough?

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Factotum Class Features: Faking It Is Enough?

Postby Stam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:25 am

The Factotum gets two class features that very closely replicate other class features, namely Cunning Strike and Opportunistic Piety.

Cunning Strike replicates Sneak Attack. Now, we have a house errata in place establishing how many Inspiration points you can expend in any one attack, which sort of establishes you being able to put up one die of sneak attack damage per two class levels. Can you use this to meet feat or PrC requirements?

The same for Opportunistic Piety - one of its functions operates almost exactly like Turn Undead. Can this be used to qualify for and/or power other feats, abilities or whatnot which require expending a use of Turn Undead?
Stam

Re: Factotum Class Features: Faking It Is Enough?

Postby Stam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 am

...second question, on Cunning Strike.

It does not appear to specify a duration. Is it 1 round, the duration of the encounter, or something else? Ser Google on the subject has most people concerned on how many points you can spend to enhance it, and not at all on how long it lasts once you do so.
Stam

Postby Ian » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Cunning Strike replicates Sneak Attack. Now, we have a house errata in place establishing how many Inspiration points you can expend in any one attack, which sort of establishes you being able to put up one die of sneak attack damage per two class levels. Can you use this to meet feat or PrC requirements?

The same for Opportunistic Piety - one of its functions operates almost exactly like Turn Undead. Can this be used to qualify for and/or power other feats, abilities or whatnot which require expending a use of Turn Undead?
I don't particularly like the idea of allowing this, for a couple of reasons:

1) Fluff:
No matter what your alignment, you cannot control undead—your understanding of divine magic is too rudimentary.
The implication here is that you can only fake it up to a point, and your fakery is almost-but-not-quite as good as the original. Seems to me almost-but-not-quite shouldn't be enough to, say, get you into a prestige class.

2) Mechanics: Particularly if the thing being qualified for assumes you'll have an ability to perform the qualifying power on a predictable schedule ("whenever you qualify for sneak attack" or "3 + Cha times/day, give or take" for turn undead), throwing in the factotum mechanic for accessing the ability could lead to some odd interactions. The fluff example is also an example here: If you use Piety to qualify for something that builds on the ability to control undead but doesn't specify "control" as part of the requirement, you're building something on nothing.

For one-offs or item interactions (such as an item that can be fueled by uses of turn undead), I'm definitely okay with allowing equivalence. I'm just very leery on letting that transfer to something with as many moving parts as class choices. I'm somewhat open on this, though.

Stam wrote:It does not appear to specify a duration. Is it 1 round, the duration of the encounter, or something else?
Opportunistic Strike wrote:You must spend the inspiration point to activate this ability before making the attack roll.
The duration is absolutely not more than 1 round. The only notes I have found on the matter suggest that the duration is actually one attack, and one points at the quoted text for implied justification.
Ian

Postby Stam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I was specifically looking at whether Cunning Strike could qualify one for Ambush feats and one specific PrC (the Turn Undead part was just tossed in for completeness sake). Said PrC requires Sneak Attack for entry, but does not progress it.

Thanks!
Stam

Postby Murdling » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm

What about Divine Feats?
Murdling

Postby Stam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:31 am

I think I found your answer: Opportunistic Piety explicitly states that it requires a Standard Action. That will make it incompatible with most (but not all) Divine feats.
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers