Looking and thinking ahead

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Looking and thinking ahead

Postby J.C. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Since I am reshuffling the build of Aabott Ravenwild after doing more reading about the PrC and how certain aspects of it work, I have also found something that I think would work well with the build.
The reason I am asking this now, is because I know there are some things that take more time to get decided and I am trying to give the PtB the time to do just that, and since this is a spell from an unapproved source, my asking this now also allows for possible House Ruling if the PtB see fit to allow it.

Abbott has just taken the Rapid Metamagic Feat. Now, that in itself isn't unique, but I have found a spell that I feel is worth putting the time and funds in to research and acquire, it is Arcane Spellsurge, which reads;

Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic, p. 64)
Universal
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 7, wu jen 7 (all)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell speeds the flow of magic through you, hastening your spellcasting ability. Casting times for arcane spells are reduced as follows:
Normal > New Casting Time
1 standard action > 1 swift action
1 full round > 1 standard action
2-10 rounds > 1 round less than normal

Arcane Spellsurge has no effect on any spell with a casting time longer than 1 minute or a casting time not listed on the table.

You can't choose to ignore this effect; that is, you can't opt to cast a spell using its normal casting time. Thus, if all your spells normally have casting times of 1 standard action, they take 1 swift action instead, and because you can't take more than one swift action in a round, you won't be able to cast multiple spells per round while under the effect of arcane spellsurge. (If you have available spells with casting times of 1 full round, you are still able to cast more than one of those spells per round.) However, a sorcerer or other spontaneous caster could cast a metamagic spells (as a standard action) and a normal spell (as a swift action) in the same round.

This spell doesn't stack with any other effect that reduces a spell's casting time.

Special: If you are of the dragonblood subtype, you can cast this spell as a swift action.

Now, I know that a Warmage can only use the Advanced Learning ability to gain spells of the Evocation type, but as this is a Universal spell, and not using the Advanced Learning ability, I see no reason why he couldn't do the "research and funding" route to gain this spell. Besides, at the time he could acquire this spell, he will not only be a Warmage, but a Sand Shaper and possibly even an Archmage. Now being all of this has to have some bearing on his diversified ability to gain spells by Researching.

I would also rationalize, that by adding the Sand Shaper PrC, it adds non-Evocation spells to the Warmage base, and there should be allowances for the Warmage to be able to Research spells other than Evocation with the same restrictions as the other caster classes.

And just so you know, if it is deemed that I must use the Advanced Learning ability for this, I would do that, just so you don't feel I am taking or getting an unfair advantage over the other casting classes.

Thanks for reading my rambling.
J.C.
Last edited by J.C. on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J.C.

Re: Looking and thinking ahead

Postby Stam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Advanced Learning is still the only way Warmages get to add spells to their class list (barring specific PrC exceptions) so ... regardless of convolution of build ... they're still stuck to Evocation.

This made me look up the Extra Spell feat, but per official FAQ it is apparently totally useless for a Warmage:
Main FAQ p. 29 wrote:Can the warmage (CAr) benefit from the Extra Spell feat?
No. Extra Spell lets you add one spell to your list of spells known, but the spell must be taken from your class spell list. Since the warmage already knows all the spells on his class spell list, this feat has no effect.
Stam

Postby Murdling » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

To say nothing of the fact that that spell reads to me as wildly unbalanced.
Murdling

Postby Stam » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm thinking it's not actually that bad, so long as you are not a dragonblooded character. Spending the first action you have to be able to cast your other spells faster - but still unable to cast two a round unless special circumstances - is not particularly broke for a L7.

It's just not available to a Warmage who isn't also a Mage of the Arcane Order.
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers