Advanced Learning

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Advanced Learning

Postby J.C. » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:13 am

C Arcane p14 reads;

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 16th
level, a warmage can add a new spell to his list, representing
the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell
must be a wizard spell of the evocation school, and of a level
no higher than that of the highest-level spell the warmage
already knows. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added
to that warmage’s spell list and can be cast just like any other
spell on the warmage’s list.

My question is, upon gaining one of these levels, can the Advanced Learning be delayed to allow learning time for a particular spell, or is it mandatory that the spell be chosen upon gaining that level?

Thanks for the clarification. J.C.
J.C.

Re: Advanced Learning

Postby Murdling » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:23 pm

The vast majority of such features have to be cashed in immediately. In fact the only exception I can think of is Improved Familiar, because in that one's case the act of summoning the familiar is separate to taking the feature.

Since this has no such distinction, you'd be stuck with having to pick from what you have available when you level up.
Murdling

Postby Stam » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:35 pm

What he said - the ability specifies when you get it (level 3, 6, 11, 16) and ... that's when you get it. Plan accordingly on your level-up thing to get the spell you want!
Stam

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:13 am

I'm actually okay with allowing some delay on Advanced Learning, in particular if the warmage is attempting to research a new spell for it. Otherwise we run the risk of screwing over a player just because the DMs take too long to approve a new spell, or to hand out loot after an adventure, or decide to level you up mid-adventure when you can't complete a research check.

Without making a firm ruling on what RAW expects (which is the angle Murd and Stam are certainly coming at it from), I'm making a nod to the limitations of our game and saying this is fine within reason. You can't stack it up or wait extra levels and then take a higher-level spell with it, but if you're making a good-faith effort to move on it when you hit level, I'm not going to shut you down because the timing wasn't perfect.
Ian

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Ian wrote:I'm actually okay with allowing some delay on Advanced Learning, in particular if the warmage is attempting to research a new spell for it. Otherwise we run the risk of screwing over a player just because the DMs take too long to approve a new spell, or to hand out loot after an adventure, or decide to level you up mid-adventure when you can't complete a research check.

Without making a firm ruling on what RAW expects (which is the angle Murd and Stam are certainly coming at it from), I'm making a nod to the limitations of our game and saying this is fine within reason. You can't stack it up or wait extra levels and then take a higher-level spell with it, but if you're making a good-faith effort to move on it when you hit level, I'm not going to shut you down because the timing wasn't perfect.

I think I will say I agree with Ian. Given that often there is just bad timing, as long as a player provides some effort=proof to show they were trying to utilize things..
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Return to Rules Questions & Answers