Is this race usable?

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Is this race usable?

Postby J.C. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:25 am

I am asking here because after an extensive search in the forums, I can't find any reference, pro or con.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'hin'ni

D'hin'ni
Descended from halfling slaves of the Calim Empire and their djinn overseers, typically found on the Sword Coast, Calimshan, Secomber, Lake Esmel, and the Purple Hills.
Available Regions: Same as lightfoot halflings.
Characteristics:
* +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis.
* Small size, speed 20.
* Halfling Blood.
* Darkvision 60 ft.
* +1 bonus to all saving throws.
* +2 bonus to attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
* +2 to Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently.
* Air Mastery: Airborne creatures take -1 to attacks vs. D'hin'ni.
* Spell-like abilities: At will--prestidigitation; 1/day--gust of wind, whispering wind, or wind wall (CL equal to HD).
* Auto Languages: Auran, Common, Halfling. Bonus: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Orc.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer, Warmage
* Level Adjustment: +1.

Also, Dragon 350 p54

Thanks, J.C.
J.C.

Re: Is this race usable?

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3566

In other words: Yes. (Warmage is not actually listed as a favored class for them, but since we ignore favored class rules anyway, it's a moot point.)
Ian

Re: Is this race usable?

Postby Seekerthefallen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Planetouched D'hinni
The bald creature looks like a tall halfling with darker skin. He wears loose-fitting clothes made of cotton and silk with multiple earrings hanging from his ears. He wears a stern and disapproving look.

D'hin (singular d'hin'ni) are a race of planetouched descended from lightfoot halflings and djinn. They are generally impulsive and somewhat flighty, unable to concentrate on a single task for more than a moment. Most d'hin encountered away from their homes are warriors.

Strategy and Tactics
D'hin prefer to fight defensively usually sniping with ranged attacks as a foe approaches. They rely heavily on hit-and-run tactics, very much like those of halflings, but they place more emphasis on mobility and less on cover and concealment.

Ecology and Society
D'hin live among halflings and fill all the myriad roles of their pureblooded kin, although they do tend more toward the study of magic than true halflings. D'hin speak Auran and Halfling, while those who travel outside halfling lands (as traders, mercenaries, or adventurers) also learn the Common tongue.

Most venerate Brandobaris or Shaundalkul, although the entire halfling pantheon (including Tymora) is revered.

Environment: As they tend to live among halflings, d'hin usually make their homes on warm plains.

Typical Physical Characteristics: D'hin vary widely in their appearance, but adult males are universally bald and females wear their dark hair long. They tend to stand a little taller than halflings, but not so tall as to be mistaken as dwarves. Most favor comfortable loose-fitting clothes made of cotton or silk.

Alignment: From their halfling ancestors d'hin retain a certain amount of disinterest in moral or ethical debates, but from the djinn they keep a level of capricious unpredictability. Most, then are represented by the chaotic neutral alignment.

Treasure: D'hin possess the finest scimitars, curved daggers, and ornate clothing they can afford. Jewelry, especially earrings, features prominently in their personal possessions as well. D'hin carry the standard amount of wealth for their challenge rating.

In the Realms
D'hin trace their ancestry back to halfling slaves of the Calim Empire and their djinn overseers. Persecuted by the genie-hating humans of early Coramshan, the d'hin fled northward into the Calishar Emirates as part of the great halfling migration. Today; d'hin are most common along the Sword Coast, concentrated in halfling communities in Calimshan, the Purple Hills of Tethyr, the eastern shore of Lake Esmel, the Sunset Vale, and in the vicinity of Secomber.

D'hin are treated as lightfoot halflings for purposes of determining available regions.

D'hin as Characters
D'hin possess the following racial traits.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom.
Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus to attack rolls, +4 bonus to Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
D'hin'ni base land speed is 20 feet.
Halfling Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a d'hin'ni is considered a halfling.
Darkvision out to 60 feet
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+2 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
Racial Skills: +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
Air mastery: Airborne creatures take a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls against a d'hin'ni.
Spell-like Abilities: D'hin can cast prestidigitation at will. They can also cast gust of wind, whispering wind, or wind wall, once per day. Caster level equal to character level. The save is Charisma-based.
Automatic Languages: Common, Halfling, Auran. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Orc.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.
Level Adjustment: +1
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Return to Rules Questions & Answers