Stacking reload bonuses

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Stacking reload bonuses

Postby The Redneck » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 am

The Rapid Reload Feat (Players Handbook, p. 99) cuts a Standard Action reload, such as for firearms and heavy crossbows, to a Move action. For hand or light crossbows, it becomes a free action, which allows for iterative attacks.

The "Quick Loading" enchantment (MIC, p. 41) basically does the same thing, although it also adds storage for 100 bolts. A "Quick Loading" light or hand crossbow reloads with a free action, while a Quick Loading heavy crossbow (and presumably firearm) is a move action.

So my question--do these stack? If I have a firearm or a heavy crossbow with the Quick Loading enchantment and the Rapid Reloading Feat for that weapon, can I reload it as a Free Action and get iterative attacks?
The Redneck

Re: Stacking reload bonuses

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 pm

The Redneck wrote:The Rapid Reload Feat (Players Handbook, p. 99) cuts a Standard Action reload, such as for firearms and heavy crossbows, to a Move action. For hand or light crossbows, it becomes a free action, which allows for iterative attacks.

The "Quick Loading" enchantment (MIC, p. 41) basically does the same thing, although it also adds storage for 100 bolts. A "Quick Loading" light or hand crossbow reloads with a free action, while a Quick Loading heavy crossbow (and presumably firearm) is a move action.

So my question--do these stack? If I have a firearm or a heavy crossbow with the Quick Loading enchantment and the Rapid Reloading Feat for that weapon, can I reload it as a Free Action and get iterative attacks?

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. My Google-fu suggests this question hasn't come up much and doesn't have a real definitive answer, so I'm going to say that yes, they stack: If you're willing to invest a feat and 6K gold, you can have iterative attacks on your heavy crossbows and guns.

(It even works out neatly as a comparison to the melee equivalent: For a feat and 6K gold, you can use melee weapons that deal damage a size larger, whereas with this combo you can use ranged weapons that deal damage a size larger without being totally nerfed.)
Ian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers