Draconic Questions

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Draconic Questions

Postby Deaths_Mask » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:31 pm

My question is this... Aasimar and Tieflings have the Outsider Wings feat that grant them, well... Wings. The Draconic-template has the same but in Races of the Dragon. Would it be allowable to take the Dragon Wings feats from that book should a character be Draconic?
Deaths_Mask

Re: Draconic Questions

Postby Ian » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Deaths_Mask wrote:My question is this... Aasimar and Tieflings have the Outsider Wings feat that grant them, well... Wings. The Draconic-template has the same but in Races of the Dragon. Would it be allowable to take the Dragon Wings feats from that book should a character be Draconic?

Funny fact: Dragon Wings from RotD is objectively a worse feat than Outsider Wings. Even Improved Dragon Wings is objectively a worse feat than Outsider Wings. WotC appears to have decided in late 3.5 that native flight was really good (which it is, to be fair) and that it needs to be nerfed (which it probably doesn't).

I kinda just want to say, "Sure, draconics can take Outsider Wings and call it good." But Outsider Wings is also a Tier-2 feat, the only 3.5 dragon-eligible equivalent to its prerequisites (Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline) is caster-only, and I don't want to lock non-caster dragonkin out of wings. So there's a follow-on complication for me to consider.

Let me ponder this for a bit. (If other DMs have thoughts, toss them at me.) I'm inclined to say yes to draconics with feat-wings, I just have to figure out how it should work.
Ian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers