New Spell: Conjure Inkling

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

New Spell: Conjure Inkling

Postby Deaths_Mask » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Conjure Inkling
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10ft
Duration: Permanent
Effect: One Summoned Creature
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You can imbue a one-ounce bottle of ink with temporary life, creating an inkling. Your inkling acts independant of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. An inkling can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal. You can communicate with your inkling telepathically. You can only have 1 inkling at a time.
When the inkling drops to 0 hit points, it dissapears, leaving a splotch of ink where it died. Your inkling also dies if it moves more than 60ft from you. As a standard action, you can dismiss your inkling, returning the ink to its bottle. Fially, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your inkling can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Doing so instantly destroys your inkling.

Inkling
Tiny Elemental (unaligned)
AC: 9
HP: 1 (1d4-1)
Speed: 15
Str 3
Dex 3
Con 3
Wis 3
Cha 4

Senses: Blindsight 30ft
Languages: Understands common but cannot speak
Challenge: 0

Amorphous: The inkling can move throuh a space as narrow as 1/8 inch wide without squeezing
Ink Blot: The inkling can leave messages behind in ink wherever it moves.
Deaths_Mask

Re: New Spell: Conjure Inkling

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Permanent duration kicks up the utility of this spell in a hurry. On its face it seems comparable to unseen servant, with some arguably well-balanced pros and cons, but the fact that it lasts until killed or dispelled kicks it well past L1. Any permanent Conjuration, for starters, lends itself to stacking silliness.

With permanent duration, this spell is more or less to unseen servant as Halaster's fetch I (CoS:W, instantaneous summon, but with control limits) is to summon monster I. In the latter case, HF gets a three-level bump over the equivalent round/level summon; that is, Fetch I is an L4 spell, even though it's identical to SM I in everything but duration. Three levels is too much in my eyes, but that at least is your RAW-based comparison.

That said, I went looking around on Google and found the source of this spell. There's one passage in it that you didn't bring over; I'm not sure if that was purposeful or not, but with the original 10-minute limitation, this spell might be pretty much fine as listed.
Ian

Re: New Spell: Conjure Inkling

Postby Deaths_Mask » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:52 pm

So add the 10minute thing back in and it can be fine as a level 1 spell?
Deaths_Mask

Return to Rules Questions & Answers