Called MiC p9

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Called MiC p9

Postby J.C. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:13 pm

CALLED
Price: +2,000 gp
Property: Armor or shield
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) conjuration
Activation: Standard (command)

At first glance, this armor or shield looks like any other item of its kind. Closer inspection reveals a small image of a beckoning hand inscribed on its surface. Provided that you and your called armor or shield are on the same plane, you can call it to you by speaking the proper command word, regardless of the intervening distance, if you aren't wearing armor at the time, a suit of called armor appears on your body, as though you had donned it in the normal fashion, if you are wearing other armor when you speak the command word, the called armor appears in your space or in an adjacent space you designate that is capable of holding it. A called shield appears on the proper arm if you are not already using another shield when you call it, or in your space or a designated adjacent space if you are.
If any other creature has worn your called armor or shield since you last wore it, you can no longer call it until you wear it again.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, teleport.
Cost to Create: 1,000 gp, 80 XP, 2 days.

While I have no problem with this enchantment, I would question the need for it being 9th level since Teleport is only 5th level and the cost does not lend itself to a 9th level spell enchantment. Also, we have those on the site that have "Called Armor" and I would wonder if that was made using the 1st level Paladin spell from some undefined source?

*Curses the random bubbled of brain gas making it to the surface*

J.C.
J.C.

Re: Called MiC p9

Postby Lifeinwinter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Caster level is excused on this site for purposes of item creation. If you have the means with that exception then you can create the effect.
Lifeinwinter

Postby J.C. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Oh yea, I slightly remember reading something about that.

Thanks for the reminder.
J.C.

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 am

Also, you're conflating caster level and spell level. Teleport is a 5th-level spell, which means it requires caster level 9th to cast. Hence the item has caster level 9th.

As Winter noted, you don't have to meet the caster level minimum to make the item, so long as you have all the other means listed. That's not immediately relevant for this item, however, as the caster level is the first level at which you would have the ability to cast teleport. (SLAs don't count.) That discrepancy comes into play for items where this isn't the case--such as flaming weapons, which have CL 10th but require a spell available as early as 3rd level (flame blade).
Ian

Postby Murdling » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm

..Or with Warlock 12 shenanigans.
Murdling

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Murdling wrote:..Or with Warlock 12 shenanigans.

I was so confident this was coming I would have laid money on it.
Ian

Postby Murdling » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:10 pm

Ian wrote:
Murdling wrote:..Or with Warlock 12 shenanigans.

I was so confident this was coming I would have laid money on it.

Sorry, I guess?
Murdling

Return to Rules Questions & Answers