Techsmith F&P209

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Techsmith F&P209

Postby J.C. » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:19 am

Ok, since I have had to do serious examinations to this new build of mine, I have been doing a "word by word" reading of each step of the build and came across something that I KNOW if I held to be true would jump right up and bite me on my fleshless ass, so before I offer up my derriere for consumption, I am going to be damned sure the PtB agree with what is written.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each Techsmith level, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on). If the character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a techsmith, the player must decide to which class to add each techsmith level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Ok, the way I read this, and it is pretty plain, it says I can pick which casting class I use to add each Techsmith level to at each level. Now, I know that with other PrCs that advance casting levels once you pick the class to apply that PrC to, you are fixed until the end of adding PrC levels.

I just want to be damn sure there will be no ramifications ensuing from my selecting a different caster class to apply the Techsmith to after picking the initial class.

*whew, that used way more brain cells than I was anticipating, now I need a nap*

Unrandom rattlings around in my brain.

J.C.
J.C.

Re: Techsmith F&P209

Postby Kemian » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:33 am

Off the top of my head, I am inclined to say this is likely a Wizards oversight because I can think of zero other PrC's which allow you to choose which spell casting levels to advance at each individual level, which is what I said when you first raised this question to me 2 or 3 weeks ago. Every other PrC you pick 1 Class of casting that is advanced and you are stuck with that 1 class across the life of the PrC.
Kemian

Re: Techsmith F&P209

Postby Stam » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:48 pm

It's actually fairly common-like, I think?
Archmage wrote:If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he became an archmage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of archmage for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Swiftblade wrote: If you had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a swiftblade, they must decide which class gains each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

These are just two examples I'm grabbing off the Interwebs.

The main kicker here is, IMHO, the "before becoming," clause. Bard/Swiftblade who later adds a level in Sublime Chord has Done It Wrong.

Edit: Loremaster covers it quite a bit clearer, I think:
Loremaster wrote:When a new loremaster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class.
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers