Touch of Rot

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Touch of Rot

Postby Azmon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Touch of Rot
Necromancy [Poison, Evil]
Level: sorcerer/wizard 1
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One Living Creature
Duration: 1 round/caster level
Saving Throw: Fortitude halves; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Calling upon dark powers, with a touch you infect the target causing flesh to slowly rot away. Each round the subject takes 2 points of damage per 2 caster levels. A successful Fortitude save reduces the damage by half for the current round and ends the spell.

(Based upon Thunderhead SpC pg219 and that range, target selection and what the save does have been changed to make up for increased damage.)
Azmon

Re: Touch of Rot

Postby Kemian » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:24 pm

Just off the top of my head I don't see a level cap for damage. For a first level spell I would say Caster Level 5 for a 1st level spell.
Kemian

Postby Azmon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Seems a bit low and remember it scales per 2 caster levels.
Azmon

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 am

First level arcane spells actually cap at five dice.

That said, the base spell thunderhead doesn't scale at all--it deals 1 point of damage per round, period, with damage increasing only by the uncapped duration.

This is in keeping with most damage-over-time spells of similar level, including acid arrow, which deals a flat 2d4 (~5) damage/round for a capped duration of up to 7 rounds. (It has other benefits suitable to being a level higher, but I'm looking at base DoT mechanics.)

Because you're scaling both damage and duration with level, your version quickly goes logarithmic, even if capped to five damage iterations. To fix it, the damage needs to be truly static.
Ian

Postby Stam » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:18 am

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that a properly-written spell would scale well enough with level to still be worth casting at higher levels - even if it's a titchy L1, and you only use it on Minions. A spell dealing 10 points of damage at L10, even one repeating per round, isn't spectacular. 20 points of damage per round at L20 isn't a good deal better. A successful save also ends the spell, unlike the other DoTs currently being used for comparison.

But I see your point on the duration. At L10 this is dishing up a hundred points of damage. Maybe cap the damage as you suggest, and add a max duration of 5 or 3 rounds?
Stam

Return to Rules Questions & Answers