Genesis?

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Genesis?

Postby J.C. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:19 pm

I was told by Mark when I submitted Turalis Jhank that I couldn't submit the character and get the Genesis area along with the build.

My question is, IF the character has the funds at build, why not?

And if not, what does it take besides funding to purchase the Genesis, or get it made?

While I was making this build, I approached Murdling to set up the Genesis area and he said he would, and I believe I can still get him to do this. I have the funds.
J.C.

Re: Genesis?

Postby Spectre » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33 am

I've been trying to locate this spell so I could be knowledgeable and put in my two cents...

I can't find it as a 3.5 spell, so that might be some of the issue of approval... it's not in the edition we're playing in....

Just a supposition.
Spectre

Postby J.C. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 am

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm

Here it is. This is the easiest way to find it.
J.C.

Postby Spectre » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 am

Aha, it's in the Epic category... that may be why I didn't see it anywhere.
Spectre

Postby Rosemadder » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Posted in DM forum.
Rosemadder

Postby Kemian » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Alright for everyone watching at home pay attention:

The Genesis Spell is allowed on site because while it appears in the Epic section it also appears in another spot as a regular 9th level spell. (I will post the reference for that as soon as I locate it.)

Second, If your character comes in with the funds to purchase the spell as a scroll And the capability to cast that spell as well as the ability to get onto the Astral Plane to cast the spell then we have no issue with bringing in a new PC with a personal Demiplane as part of your back story so that you can enter play with that as part of your deal.

Third, What does it take to use the Genesis spell to create your own Demiplane. The means to cast the spell once AND the capability to meet all the requirements of casting said spell and the time required to fully realize the completion of the Demiplane.

What does all of that mean? It means you have to be able to get to the Astral Plane to cast the spell in the first place (Cause per the spell that is the only place it can be successfully cast.) You have to be able to cast Genesis from a scroll (Which may require a roll or two if you it is not in your spell list or you can't cast 9th level spells yet.) or actually having the Genesis in your spell list.

The casting time for this spell is 7 days that means 7 whole days in the Astral Plane presumably by yourself where you are spending 8 of a 24 hours casting. (In other words you are going to want people with you in case something comes along to try and eat you). Then once the 7 days of casting is complete it requires a full 180 days for the Demiplane to grow to it's full size and be usable. (So 187 days before you can use it and likely a scene of some kind to cover the 7 day spell casting time).

I hope this clears things up.
Kemian

Postby Kemian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 am

The Genesis Spell is allowed on site because while it appears in the Epic section it also appears in another spot as a regular 9th level spell. (I will post the reference for that as soon as I locate it.)

Alright so I was wrong the reason the spell is allowed on site is because it is on the SRD regardless of it being listed as Epic. It is a 9th level spell which can be cast by Non Epic level spell casters.
Kemian

Postby tachus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 pm

so had another question come up about genesis...
SRD wrote:The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. The spellcaster determines factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain.

Does this allow the caster to specify all the planar traits as well? like the physical (gravity, time, etc), alignment, energy, etc? or only the actual physical characteristics, like dirt, rock, etc?
"Oderint Dum Metuant" - Emperor Caligula

"Experience is not what happens to a man; It is what a man does with what happens to him." - Aldous Huxley

PCs: Sambiir TaKorc-Wands, Vairc Delvaux, Kell Ironclaw, Zander Stormwave
tachus

Postby Kemian » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 pm

If you are asking if it allows you to determine the speed at which time flows. The answer is yes. I wouldn't see why you couldn't place planar alignment traits on this as well.
Kemian

Return to Rules Questions & Answers