wild shape question

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

wild shape question

Postby David » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:07 am

So I know normally when you wild shape, your gear melds with you, but if you wild shape into a form that wears armor and can wield weapons (like a master of many forms turning into a giant), would you keep your armor and weapons?

David
David

Re: wild shape question

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 pm

According to the write up of wild shape in the Druid description, all gear melds into the new form and becomes useless. The MofMF PrC gives you a wider range of forms, but it doesn't say anything about the character's gear staying available. There's a magic item called a wildling clasp that allows an item to remain available. (I think that's the name of it anyway.)

One of the differences between the druid's wild shape and the arcanists Alter Self and similar spells is the fact that the arcane versions allow for the possible continued use of items.

Unless a PrC (or equipment) says otherwise, I would assume the standard rules of the basic wild shape apply.

Sorry. :(
JuneBarcarolle

Postby David » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm

So I was just recently looking over wild shape and all it says in the player's guide is that it functions like polymorph. When I looked up polymorph, it says it functions like alter self, and in alter self it says that if the new form can wear the equipment, then it stays. I could not find anything under wild shape itself that talks about equipment melding with you. I just assumed it said it.
David

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Found this in the 3.5 PHB errata

Wild Shape

Player’s Handbook, page 37

Replace sentence 3 of this class feature with the following text:
This ability functions like the alternate form special ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here.

Add the following sentence to the end of paragraph 1:
Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night.

Add this new paragraph after the current paragraph 1:
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

---

There are feats or spells or something you can do to keep the bonuses from gear in wild shape mode.

I just don't-know /can't-remember where the feats/spells/something is.
Arrow-Bolt

Postby David » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am

Okay, thanks for the update

David
David

Postby Moog » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am

The "Wild" Armor or Shield Trait allows use of Armor (And Enhancement) Bonus while in a wild Shape as a +3 bonus cost. - DMG 1: Pg 219

The "Beastskin" Armor Trait lets you 'spend' an extra use of Wild shape when you change forms so that your armor transforms with you to be fitted to your new form. This gives you the Armor bonus, Armor Check penalty, slowed movement rate, and otherwise functions as a suit of armor fitted to the new form. Weight of the armor changes as appropriate for a suit of armor for said form. This all happens for a +2 Armor bonus cost. - Complete Adventurer: Pg 127
Moog

Return to Rules Questions & Answers