Liber Mortis and Necromancers

A place for rules questions to be posted. Rules questions should be asked here, not in OOC chat or FPMs. The DM's will answer whenever they can. Rules questions are not our focus, so it may take some time for questions to be responded to. Please be patient.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Liber Mortis and Necromancers

Postby Cathaidan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:58 pm

I have noticed that this book isn't on the approved list of things for the game. That's fine, and I can find plenty of fun within the PHB. What I was curious about was the True Necromancer prestige class. The 3.5 write up is far better than the 3.0 version that was printed in Tome and Blood, and if it is alright, I think it is a wonderful flavor thing to add to the game. Is there any chance on that prestige class being approved?

Thanks!
Cathaidan

Re: Liber Mortis and Necromancers

Postby Kemian » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 am

The version that basically allows for both full Spellcasting access to both Divine AND Arcane across 20 levels? The short answer is no, because both Divine Spellcasting and Arcane Spellcasting are both very powerful Class Features separately. Putting them together at full spellcasting progression is frankly more than a little unbalanced. There are a couple of PrC's that are permitted that allow for both Arcane and Divine spell casting but not full spellcasting progression. The team has taken a look at Libris Mortis as a whole and found it wanting largely because of these balance issues.
Kemian

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Generally speaking, the only PrCs allowed are the ones in approved sources. That still leaves a whole lot of possibilities, though. ;)

At this point in time we've had time to review pretty much everything written for 3.5. If a book is not on the approved list, there's a reason for it. We only approve whole books, not just pieces. Sorry.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Cathaidan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 pm

It isn't an issue. I was just curious. I know the Liber Mortis version is pretty strong. I think that was done on purpose, because the 3.0 Tome and Blood version was so weak that there was no reason to actually take it as a PrC. I didn't know if you all had vetoed it for the reason that it was too strong, or if it was more of a setting issue. Thanks for the heads up!
Cathaidan

Return to Rules Questions & Answers