Healer Character

Have an concept for a character? Lets talk it out. Have a build you want to show off or need help with? This is the place!

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Which do you think I should choose?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 am

Build 1
No votes
Build 2
No votes
Build 3
No votes

Total votes : 0

Healer Character

Postby Tarl Stormrider » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 am

First off, the poll doesn't work, but I am leaving it up here in-case they fix it or want to see the error it gives.

Ok, so I am looking at two(possibly 3) different builds for a healer I am planning to make eventually. It will probably be a little while before I make him, so I have some time to plan him (or her) out. I haven't posted skills or spells, but any spells (or skills beyond the obvious) that you can suggest would be appreciated. I've put a poll on here as well (just don't expect me to listen to it :D ) Actually the poll doesn't work yet, so you might just have to post your opinion below if you want.

Build 1: Human Cleric (of Ilmater-Domains Healing/Purification) 5/Combat Medic 5, then Radiant Servant 10.

Feats:
1st Level-Combat Casting and either Augment Healing or Sacred Boost
3rd Level-Dodge
6th Level-Between Sacred Boost, Augment Healing, or Sacred Healing
9th Level-Extra Turning
After this I suppose it is wide open.

Build 2: Moon Elf Cleric (of Lurue-Domains Healing/Summoning) 4, Warlock 1, then a Combat Medic and Eldritch Disciple in no specific order planned.

Feats:
1st Level-Combat Casting (maybe Spellcasting Prodigy and move this feat to 3rd or 6th level)
3rd Level-Dodge
6th Level-Between Sacred Boost, Augment Healing, or Sacred Healing (or Combat Casting)
9th Level and beyond - Wide open

Possible Build 3: Human Cleric (of Ilmater-Domains Healing/Purification) 5/Combat Medic 5, then Master Alchemist through at least 4th level.

Feats:
1st Level-Combat Casting and Dodge
3rd Level-Brew Potion
6th Level-Magical Artisan (Potions)
9th Level-Skill Focus: Craft (Alchemy)
After this I suppose it is wide open. Probably craft scepters, staffs, or wondrous items.
Last edited by Tarl Stormrider on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tarl Stormrider

Re: Healer Character

Postby Kemian » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:45 am

Tarl,

For build 1, you may want to consider Sacred Exocist instead of Radiant Servant, It allows for your Undead Turning to go up with each level of the PrC in addition to the Spell casting progression.
Kemian

Postby Stam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Put that way, Build #2 does look like a nice versatile piece of random fun class features. It won't be as strong as your Basic Combat Medic (read: Cleric20) but it'll be solid.

And if you go with #3, Yaelina will have company. (She's about to take Mystic Wanderer L1 now.)
Stam

Postby Jiriki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 am

I tried to vote for Two yesterday.. it wouldn't let me though. So... BUILD TWO!
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with gold."
Jiriki

Postby Stam » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah, the poll isn't working for me either.
Stam

Postby Azmon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I like 2 the most
Azmon

Postby Rosemadder » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:13 pm

i vote #1, cause Ilmater has a SICK name, and + i like the build specially with Kem's comments
or number 3, cause WTFLurueBBQ?
Rosemadder

Postby tachus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:01 pm

personally i say 2 or 3... cause those sound the more interesting...
"Oderint Dum Metuant" - Emperor Caligula

"Experience is not what happens to a man; It is what a man does with what happens to him." - Aldous Huxley

PCs: Sambiir TaKorc-Wands, Vairc Delvaux, Kell Ironclaw, Zander Stormwave
tachus

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I also could not vote, for some reason. But I also think number 2 sounds cool.
Andy

Postby tooitalian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 pm

For optimal healing I say build 1. With build 2 I bet you'll end up changing it along the way, it has great potential to be a versatile PC
tooitalian

Postby Kemian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:45 pm

I like the first build.
Kemian

Postby Tarl Stormrider » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:46 am

Kem, looking at Radiant Servant, he goes up in turning as well, plus gets the extra greater turning ability.
Tarl Stormrider

Postby Tarl Stormrider » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:18 am

Completely revamped my third option to include a healer that could offer his or her services with potions as well (at least through 6th level with potions of heal). Based on the wording of Craft Potion, I think I could put my Combat Medic Kickers into the potions as well, but I will need clarification from a DM about this.
Tarl Stormrider

Postby Rosemadder » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 am

KICKERS!! Not Knickers. Got it
Rosemadder

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Tarl Stormrider wrote:Based on the wording of Craft Potion, I think I could put my Combat Medic Kickers into the potions as well, but I will need clarification from a DM about this.

Nope. The healing kickers specify that they only go off "when you cast a conjuration (healing) spell on an ally," which is not the same as brewing a potion you then give to an ally. It likewise says you can't use the kickers on yourself, which there's no way to enforce if you can imbue them into a potion.

And yes, when brewing a potion "you make any choices that you would normally make when casting the spell," but I'm pretty sure that refers to spells themselves that give you a specific choice (resist energy being the most obvious example)--not external abilities that you happen to be able to use at the same time.

That said, I'd be willing to allow the creation of custom Elixirs using Brew Potion and the Healing Kickers, but I'd then set market price/creation cost on them based on their actual effect rather than the base spell.
Ian

Next

Return to Concept & Build Discussion