An Adventurous Proposal

News and information about the site, and the direction it is going.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: An Adventurous Proposal

Postby Murdling » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:17 pm

So I just want to poke in on one specific point. I don't know that we're going to choose to just move to another location in Faerun, but if we do this is a relevant thing for me.

I don't really like Cormyr or Lantan.

Cormyr sounds like setting everything in the nice pastoral countryside around Waterdeep instead of in the main city proper and that's just not my bag. Probably great for people whose tastes run toward things like Rohan I guess but that's not me.

Lantan is.. well, it's Gnomish. I have Gnomes and even I don't really want that 24/7.

If we were to move cities I'd vote for something like Calimport or Westgate. A decent sized city with a lot of surrounding world to use but nowhere near as clean or safe as Waterdeep.
Murdling

Postby ManthisFocht » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Murdling wrote:If we were to move cities I'd vote for something like Calimport or Westgate. A decent sized city with a lot of surrounding world to use but nowhere near as clean or safe as Waterdeep.

Like Silverymoon?

Tongue in cheek, but it touches back on my main point that we should be talking about whether or not we are comfortable up and changing locations/settings every few years to keep things fresh (this being the 2nd time, and presumably not the last) or if we would rather focus our energy on pushing ahead and making do with what we have for consistencies sake.
ManthisFocht

Postby Murdling » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:32 pm

When we opened up the notion of this option (changing at all) we included that in the poll. So far we have three votes out of twenty four that want to stay in Waterdeep and change nothing.

I think we already answered that question Jimmy.
Murdling

Postby Rosemadder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:18 pm

We are not at the stage of Narrowing Where in the World, besides asking... which World and in Faerun, kinda, a little more info. please don't feel pressured (yet!) to protect or run from a particular spot like Lantan or Bimbral.

So far, you are all contributing Greatly to our understanding of our joint needs! Keep it going!
Rosemadder

Postby ManthisFocht » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Murdling wrote:When we opened up the notion of this option (changing at all) we included that in the poll. So far we have three votes out of twenty four that want to stay in Waterdeep and change nothing.

I think we already answered that question Jimmy.

My point was more emphasizing that this is not the first location/setting change, and will likely not be the last, and if people aren't going to be okay with fundamental setting/location changes every few years (as is now becoming the precedent) then they should say so.

I don't much care either way, just want to underscore that this "reset trend" (which again, I am not meaning to label as bad in anyway) seems like its going to become a regular event... Years apart, but regular none-the-less.
ManthisFocht

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Murdling wrote:So I just want to poke in on one specific point. I don't know that we're going to choose to just move to another location in Faerun, but if we do this is a relevant thing for me.

I don't really like Cormyr or Lantan.

Cormyr sounds like setting everything in the nice pastoral countryside around Waterdeep instead of in the main city proper and that's just not my bag. Probably great for people whose tastes run toward things like Rohan I guess but that's not me.

Lantan is.. well, it's Gnomish. I have Gnomes and even I don't really want that 24/7.

If we were to move cities I'd vote for something like Calimport or Westgate. A decent sized city with a lot of surrounding world to use but nowhere near as clean or safe as Waterdeep.

I would like to share, as I understand it Cormyr is not safe.

It is a kingdom in the middle of untouched forest full of untamed monsters, and ill-intent savage peoples wishing for Cormyr to fail. Even the near by nation neighbors wish it to fall so it may be vulture to its remains.

Cormyr does not have the walls, trade routes, or magical forces as Waterdeep has.

To summarize something Ian said, Cormyr is beset by state-enemies on all sides, amidst nadir (worst of circumstances).
Arrow-Bolt

Postby Zach82 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 am

Cormyr would also force characters to form adventuring parties, which I count as a plus.
Zach82

Postby tooitalian » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:15 am

Again, I don't care what the final decision is, but how are any of those points in contrast to Waterdeep? We have sewers inside the city full of baddies, and forming adventuring parties is fundamental with every D&D game. I don't see how changing to Cormyr would be a big or beneficial difference. It's a new settings to be sure, but based upon the concerns I've read, I don't think that's a good fit for everyone.
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
tooitalian

Postby Murdling » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 am

Yeah. We have plenty of groups who regularly adventure together. They just don't form by people going into a tavern and signing a sheet agreeing to forfeit 10% of their rewards. It happens by spontaneous exposure, getting to know the person, saving a life or two.

The presence or lack of regular adventuring buddies for your PCs is not something this thread is going to solve.
Murdling

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:15 am

tooitalian wrote:Again, I don't care what the final decision is, but how are any of those points in contrast to Waterdeep? We have sewers inside the city full of baddies, and forming adventuring parties is fundamental with every D&D game. I don't see how changing to Cormyr would be a big or beneficial difference. It's a new settings to be sure, but based upon the concerns I've read, I don't think that's a good fit for everyone.

Now correct me if I am wrong Zach82, but I think the conclusion that is being drawn towards is that Cormyr is less perfect and has less infrastructure then Waterdeep and thus has more danger.

Adventuring in Waterdeep wilds or sewers, one merely needs get to a well patrolled road or top side from sewer to be a great degree safer then before. At least it is an easier adventure hook a 2nd party might take to save the 1st party if it comes to that if your defeat was evident on those roads

In the wilds of Cormyr there are far few well patrolled roads or even established roads. Fewer well established near by settlements to flee too. Your only saving grace might be an ally you told you were leaving a settlement and the direction you went, they might send a 2nd party to follow the trail you blazed before hand, weeks old now.

The problem I keeping hearing is Waterdeep is too too perfect a place. Well organized, efficient army and police, powerful back up magical forces, well established network of roads, towns and trade routes. Their docks, shipping sea lanes and navy likewise superb.

I want to express Cormyr, or any Faerun nation less perfect then Waterdeep, would afford more obvious lanes of RP and adventure (taking into account setting is one piece of it, effort and good will from the whole player community being parts of it as well)

As a footnote establishing roads (cutting down vast lanes of deep untouched thick forest, Laying stone works, bridge erecting) and building towns, and the protection squads of that work would be Great RP, and chars can add to the towns they identify with and aid expanding them. Altering and adding to the maps of Faerun
Arrow-Bolt

Postby Zach82 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I think Cormyr has its charms, as arrow aptly describes here, but I for one don't see the need to move the game at all. Cormyr or the Dales seem like the best alternatives. They are uncivilized enough that our PC's will have room to shine, detailed enough that our DM's have good resources, and generic enough to support a wide variety of character concepts.

The problem I see is that they aren't cosmopolitan enough to support nearly the variety of character types we come up with, but I seem to be the only one that sees a problem here anyhow. We also wouldn't be getting rid of a bunch of gods, but for the life of me I can't see what the issue is in that regard, and I've given up trying.
Zach82

Postby Shamsy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 am

I believe just about everything I could say has been said, and perhaps more elegantly than I would say it.

I was going to sit out of this, but I play here to so thought I'd throw in a BRIEF summary of my thoughts.

Fallout FR would kill the game for me, but this is a community decision.

Eberron is a perfect setting if we start again with new characters.

Spelljammer and Planescape make a lot of sense for transitioning characters.

I love Ravenloft, but this is a very personal setting and not (IMHO) suitable for an 'open game' like ours. Eberron does have a 'Mournlands' though for those wanting to search out horror.

I'm open to other ideas for settings, but would like to leave FR, despite being so familiar with it.
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
Shamsy

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I feel the best approach to a setting change is to go with an additive method, adding content and options upon the existing setting, opposed to a subtractive method, removing content to create a new setting.

Changing to another Faerun nation, Toril nation, or if we are careful about it a Faerun-Fallout, then we can use an additive method [additive methods by homebrew as much or as little as we need] to address all concerns.

I feel it is a shame if we cannot bring all that was built up from the past with us if our choice turns to something like Ebberron.

But that is merely my opinion which I only wished to have said then left un-said.

Thank you all for baring with me and my ramblings ^^;
Arrow-Bolt

Postby A.J. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:48 pm

For what my 2 cents are worth:

1) I am/was *really* working hard to level the city, my schedule is as it has always been non-cooperative. That said,

2) My vote is for Planescape for a very simple reason. Being the Center of the Multiverse, as it stands, it is the perfect launchpad for a site where DM's can throw players into *any* setting and always have the threat of never finding their way out. This can allow for setting specific threads, gear, PrC's, and other materials that can be carried cross-setting. The fact that all Planescape is based upon is a mythical city at the center of everything, aka The City of Doors, has always appealed to me to be the best launchpad for any D&D game. You could get into Eberron, Ravenloft, Faerun, and homebrew worlds, perhaps even Cthulhu or Hyperborea... O.o This really seems in my opinion to be the best bet to fit many many styles. Spelljammer as well could be incorporated and we as a community could embrace the entire D&D cosmology, pick our faves, and launch campaigns within campaigns. Also, there is an entire site that has already dedicated itself to translated 2e Planescape to 3.5...

3) Noting #2 is a monumental task...

My 2 cents.
A.J.

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Thank you all for your feedback on these questions, and for engaging in a blessedly civil discussion. This conversation has been very informative for the DMs as we try to figure out the best way to make the most entertaining game we can for everyone in our community.

Most everyone appears to have said their piece, but this thread and the associated polls will remain open for a while--if you have further feedback, we'll take it. For now, the DMs are discussing the various ideas you all brought up, and will likely come back to you in the near future with further questions, ideas, and requests for feedback, on this and other topics.

Note! All of the DMs are in agreement that no decisions can or will be made lightly or quickly, and even if a decision is eventually made to make a major transition of some sort (whether in setting, location, or theme), the implementation of that change would be some time in coming and with ample warning to all of you.

Point being, please don't hold up your plans for new characters or storylines on our account! We're not going to spring any sudden changes on you, we intend to continue running and otherwise handling things as normal, and we encourage players to continue playing and making characters in the same fashion.
Ian

Previous

Return to Community News