An Adventurous Proposal

News and information about the site, and the direction it is going.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: An Adventurous Proposal

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Mark wrote:[10:01:33 PM] Marek: You can be a semi-lycanthrope called a Shifter. Which I imagine might draw the furry crowd... okay, nevermind. Eberron is off the table.

lol
Arrow-Bolt

Postby tooitalian » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Arrow-Bolt wrote:
Mark wrote:[10:01:33 PM] Marek: You can be a semi-lycanthrope called a Shifter. Which I imagine might draw the furry crowd... okay, nevermind. Eberron is off the table.

lol

You mean Druids don't already? :P
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
tooitalian

Postby Murdling » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm

In all seriousness if one of them wanted to show up here and do their thing there's a PrC for it that we allow.
Murdling

Postby Stam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, but barring weird entry it'd still take them at least eight levels.
Stam

Postby tooitalian » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10 pm

AHEM

Let's keep it on topic people. All fun and good but now we're getting into class building, an old favorite of ours lol
tooitalian

Postby Jiriki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 am

Fallout:Faerun

I am really really behind this idea. We have precidence of a cataclysmic event changing the world of Faerun in the past.

Look at the map, that big desert used to be a sea. It all changed, the ice peaks retreated.

We can use this, but it'll take all of us that have them reading the books bit by bit to find the snippets of change that happened. Did you all know there was a city beneath the sea down by Calimport? I can use this. I can feel my creative juices working even as I type this now.
Jiriki

Postby Azmon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 pm

^ Have spoken to Murd a few times on this, but why not consider rewriting the Spellplague events/aftermath?
Azmon

Postby Rosemadder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:55 pm

spellplague is already under consideration. However. Spellplague was used to specifically create 4th ed. We refuse to embrace the unembraceable. Or rather, spend the money.
Or both.

Rememer guys, in rewriting FR: Fallout, you are asking us to rewrite FR. dear Gods. Some gods.

Thhe remaining gods.

Does anyone want to propose anything other settings not yet discussed ( outside of FR). And pls contact your contacts for our site and suggest they come back and consider!
Rosemadder

Postby Stam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Eh, depends how MUCH work we want to put into the apocalypse. Blow up a continent we don't care about, earthquakes and magic and godloss everywhere else.

Seems like we have at least managed to eliminate many less-feasible options.

So far it seems the following all have ... well ... a following:
  • Eberron.
  • Hyborea.
  • Fallout: Faerun.
  • Alternative Faerun Location.

Did I miss any? Anyone want to propose Other Options?
Stam

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:30 pm

If we stay in Faerun, but some of us want a chance to play some Eastern theme RP, we could introduce a Shou-town ( http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shou ) in the new Faerun nation (or old if we stay in Waterdeep in some form)
Arrow-Bolt

Postby Murdling » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 pm

No that sounds like a decent summary to me so far man.
Murdling

Postby tooitalian » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:54 pm

I've told this to a couple DMs and I'll say it here publically too. Whatever we do, I'm here to stay. I love our community and I'm not going anywhere. Until I finally say something so offensive I get banned :roll:

That being said, I vote for Fallout Faerun. What is more in tune with the idea of collaborative writting than that? To make this easier on the DMs, I propose this. Either everyone pitches in and writes even a little bit, or we don't do FF and we go to a prexisting setting. I know I'm not the only one excited to let loose the creative juices, I would love to see every player feel the same. Our DMs have put their time and their resources to make this site function, we the players owe it to them to do the same. Every single one of us.
tooitalian

Postby ChronoregulatorBeta » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm

I plan on staying no matter what, it'll all be a heck of a ride! But my vote is Eberron due to the availability, similarity, cool setting and other various thing. However, should F:F be the thing, I would be happy to help with -something- in regards to it as well! (Heck, we could compile the new setting into our own series of books like the other settings have and pitch it to WotC! lol Players Guide to the Fallen Lands, anyone?) xD

tl;dr- I vote Ebberon but am happy to help should some other choice be picked
ChronoregulatorBeta

Postby Arrow-Bolt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:01 am

Stam wrote:Eh, depends how MUCH work we want to put into the apocalypse. Blow up a continent we don't care about, earthquakes and magic and godloss everywhere else.

Seems like we have at least managed to eliminate many less-feasible options.

So far it seems the following all have ... well ... a following:
  • Eberron.
  • Hyborea.
  • Fallout: Faerun.
  • Alternative Faerun Location.

Did I miss any? Anyone want to propose Other Options?

I would like to add to the the list "Alternative Fearun Location with Homebrew"

My concern with Fallout is the same concern with a darker/gothic tone like Ravenloft. It becomes one tone and same-ish after a while.

Generic Faerun (with some homebrew) will give everyone something they want.

- Too restrict rules on divine magic casters ---> Add a faith for all alignments who has an after life for those who wish for non-personal gods/divine-forces to gain powers/spells from, but the faith rewards individuals who sincerely follow their personal ideals strongly, and if you do not follow them strongly enough they end up on the wall. (A person who just coasts with life and stands up for nothing might end up on the wall)
- Eastern RP themes ---> Add a Shou Town
- Too perfect a city/nation like Waterdeep ---> Plenty of Faerun nations that not so perfect (personally Cormyr or Lantan shoulds cool ^^)
- Want to experience RP not in Faerun/Toril ---> Add a version of the World Serpent Inn, with portals to other faerun places, or toril places. Even allow spacejammer/placescape like adventures or RP settings.

Everyone can RP where they like.

Ian said it would take half a page write up for any new players to find out what is different from generic Faerun and to this game's version of Faerun.

My chars are less then 4 months old (1st made in March), level 1 or 2, I mean I came here to RP in a Faerun game. My chars and I myself the player have not gotten this chance to find this place old and stale. I would love the chance to RP here for a decade or so explore faerun for myself ^^;

I mean there are plenty of Eberron games out there since it is the new shiny thing RP setting, but I came here since it was Faerun. A system I know and enjoy.

I really do sincerely hope we stay in Faerun ^^; I mean sure re do the house with paint and better Geomancy (aka Feng Shui), but I have a heartfelt hope we do not tare down a cozy well lived in home (or paint the house one tone ^^;). I mean if Faerun was so bad, there would a lot less of us here.
Arrow-Bolt

Postby Lifeinwinter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi folks, my computer has been down due to a huge fracture caused in the screen of it due to a few more coming off the main one, so I've been posting lightly due to my phone.

I am, at the moment, at a borrowed computer so I will get this out now.

It's been pointed out that there are a few options left with interest and support so I'll weigh in on each just to add to the soup of many ingredients.

I'll start with saying that I agree with those before me that stated a setting change isn't a fix to the activity, and that it shouldn't be considered one. It should be considered it's own thing, and it's been long coming. As Marek Mark pointed out the choice of setting was picked by a person I used to know here, and that was it. We have no been presented with a choice in the matter, and that to me, no matter which way it goes, is absolutely golden. Good job team, it was a long time coming. Now I'll touch on those choices, and even compare each to the very true and well made point someone before me made about coming here specifically because they wanted an FR game in red.

Moving to another place in FR- Simple, easy, it's been done before, it wasn't quick, but it was smooth. Again I say good job team, you've done it once, you can do it again, with some insight now on why to pick a location. Lots of reasons have been given for why and where and scrolling back on this forum will show most of them. FR is alive Greyhawk doesn't stand a chance to the fame. For better or worse.

Hyborea - Sure? Why not? It's already what some people have been saying for a long time what would make things better. Again look at the forum for reasons why. Wouldn't be a hard transfer for players, or PCs if that's what most people want. I never heard much of it, so I'm not sure how many would be looking for such a place to begin.

Fallout Faerun- This will be hell, drastic, and most likely always a in the working stage. I've been around the block on internet RP sites both similar and non similar to this one. These ideas spark a lot of creative suggestion in one's head when they are brought up. Loose boundaries for shaping make your mind wonder, you see the world forming, you get this absolutely amazing visual landscape in your head, the delicious pie crust. Then it comes time to do the work. It's outrageously too much to ask the DM team to do. Time constrictions and limits. Having been on it for some years I am not saying it is the team we have, I am saying it is any team of small individuals with real lives. So suggested everyone has to pitch in, and I can only relate this to how often people run scenes: How many are started vs how many actually run their full course? A drastic difference. People will burn out, delay, disappear (For both running scenes, and helping build this fallout world) and I honestly feel like it just won't get done. Putting conflicting ideas on how to do it aside (They will be on par with the conflicting ideas we have to even pick a setting if we do or don't change), I believe it will always be in the construction not livable stage. ( I get the irony that the wasteland is unlivable so you can launch I suppose just making a room called 'Cardboard shelter') However if the majority of people think they can and will stick to a project like this, and not disappear or burn out, or not contribute at all, then I say challenge me. I won't be sad to be proven wrong, because the idea is nice, I'm just not on board for the payload myself. I doubt very much anyone is looking for online for a place hosting such an idea. And when they do, my god how much they will have to catch up on and unlearn.

Eberron - It's my personal favorite, and that's how my minute vote went into the sea of drowner. As I mentioned, setting isn't a fix, but it is a preference, and I didn't have a choice when I started during the site's conquest of it's second year alive (Terrible twos were great), and this was the choice. On personal preference I like the steampunk and magic. Kind of touches that warm place in my heart Arcanum did if any of you are familiar with the computer game. And in contrast to FR, instead of having a million elves to choose from to get the statblock you want (It may not be everyone's reason for choosing a race, but as a person who approved many characters, it's a LOT of people's), you have more races, and they're uniquely differen't instead of more variations on the same Tolkienesqu ones you've had since he wrote the influence. I prefer more races to just variations and regionals. Again that's all preference which is what I'm establishing here. And Ebberon did well, sold out, and even took its place in the future of DnD. We may not move on in editions, thank god, but Ebberon is alive and well, and on par for being sought out with FR or any other setting.

Just a post point, new people are the life and blood of places like this. They come with the fire, and the population as others leave or fade in and out. It's very important to pay attention to what we're offering those that come to us in the future, and I think some of our options will have dramatically different effects on that.

Opinionatedly
Winter
Lifeinwinter

PreviousNext

Return to Community News