Getting the band back together

News and information about the site, and the direction it is going.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Getting the band back together

Postby Spectre » Thu May 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Good evening everyone, I'm hoping we can do some virtual CPR and breath some life back into this site/game. What I'd like to do is get a headcount of who is around and who has what stories going that they want to continue or start.

Then I'd like to see if we can do some scheduling comparison and see if we have enough staff/ST's/Support/Players (and interest) to take on these stories and maybe find one or two nights a week we can get enough commitment to move these stories forward.

I know it might be a bit tedious and a bit much to ask, RP should be fun for all involved and not need to be "work", but if we want to breathe life back into this site then we need to rally as a community and build energy off each other to get back into the swing of things.

((Of course this is out of character information and I'm sure we can respect any "secrets" of our characters that we don't need to be known in game yet))

So... I have Inacio Thann as my primary character, a human wizard/spirit shaman who is in search of an ancient lost god of the Netherese culture. Ian's epic "welcome to the chat" adventure twisted Inacio and is driving him down an alternate path than what I originally planned for him and I'd like his character development to continue on this long term quest. Right now I am still unemployed and can make most evenings free for RP. I am hopeful to find work soon so that will certainly need an update when that occurs.
Spectre

Re: Getting the band back together

Postby David » Fri May 26, 2017 7:54 am

I am still around and definately looking to do some rp. Evenings are the best time for me as I am usually working. 6pm pst is usually the best start time for me.

As for PCs, I have Kristoff, my level 5 Druid level 1 Master of many forms whose primary goal is just to learn all he can about all the creatures of the realm so that he can use their powers to better defend this world and more importantly the natural world.
David

Postby J.C. » Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 am

Well, let's see. May as well start with the lowest and work my way up.

Venegas, here is a work of art, 9th level Storm Caster that needs to find David Carradine for tutelage to become a Raumathari Battlecaster.

Then there is Zaramalsvir, a 12th level Dark Creature who needs to return to the City of Shade to gain a Veserab mount.

Damn, writing it down really seems trivial and simplistic, but then, I guess it is :)
J.C.

Postby Rosemadder » Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 pm

I am back!
I have Cyn Slykarock, n 8th lvl ftr Barb Dwarf. She's all bark and all bite.

Sorry, JC, David Carradine had major marital problems, and is now undead and unliving probably in Thay. Am Sure someone else can be arranged.
Rosemadder

Postby Shamsy » Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Most U.S. Friday and Saturday evenings are fine for me. I check the site every day but time zones mean I miss everyone during my Monday to Friday.

Shalla Mottlebrush:
Unplayed so far. Not even a session of RP. I'd like to try her out some time but she's my lowest priority PC. She's currently living in the streets just trying to survive. I have a story planned for her, but no PC specific goals (if I keep her). Level 3+1

Mror Darkbeard:
I've enjoyed playing Mror. I've wanted a generic ‘dwarven fighter’ for a long time. He's a member of the City Watch and a smith. He has no real goals but is duty bound to the city and will take up a worthy cause if pushed. I REALLY want to continue a plot Winter started with him involving demons, but that's not looking to happen any time soon. Level 3-5 (deliberately kept low to play with new players, I've enough xp to go to 5th).

LothGar:
Ian ran an adventurer where LothGar lost a dear friend, Bill the paladin. He wants both revenge and to have her (or her soul) released from captivity. You can read about him in the forums under the living legends thread. 12th level (xp for 14th but I'm not planning to go higher yet).

Burgon Goldwirth:
His goals are simple - wealth, power and avoid danger and adventure. Loves a feather bed, eating and reading books in front of a warm fireplace. My cowardly fat merchant cleric. Level 12.
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
Shamsy

Postby Shamsy » Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm

A great initiative Spectre

To add: casual RP aside, everyone wants to adventure and few people want to run. While running is rewarding and can be fun in its own way, it's hard work, time consuming and can be stressful. It should be something everyone steps up and does from time to time. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Secondly, level spread has and will always be an issue. I highly recommend making at least 3 PC (as per site rules on timeframes) so you can cover a range of levels. One PC in every 5 levels is perfect. Mind though it takes LITERAL YEARS to hit high teens.
Shamsy

Postby raskule » Sat May 27, 2017 12:30 am

I have Nasuk - lvl 2 sorc, Gwendalyn Dax - lvl 4 Rogue/Swash, Aruka - lvl 4 druid.

I just need a few days to a weeks heads up. I mostly can be reached on skype as I have fallen out of the habit of checking the forums. I too am unemployed atm but am job hunting so this can change any time and will definitely keep posted.
raskule

Postby Spectre » Sun May 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Awright, seems like we have enough players for an adventuring party, do we have any DM's interested in picking up any of these story lines and running one day in the week? Maybe we can rotate ST's each week so a ST is only running something once every couple/few weeks? This would give the DM's a good chance to play as well.
Spectre

Postby Azmon » Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 am

I still pop in here and there. :)
Azmon

Postby Shamsy » Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 am

Spectre wrote:Maybe we can rotate ST's each week so a ST is only running something once every couple/few weeks? This would give the DM's a good chance to play as well.

That's a good idea. It’d actually be rather interesting to play a longer multi session adventure where you only run one ssession out of every few. Kind of like when different authors write a trilogy. I'm happy to kick that off with the first session if we can get at least 2 others lined up to take turns after I set the adventure up.
Shamsy

Postby Spectre » Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 am

I think that's a super interesting idea... letting the next ST pick up the story and take it where they want based on the previous play and their ideas.. It could really wander all over and touch on alot of story ideas... though I'd suggest some kind of "limits" so we don't get super wonky and spread out story and location wise, and also allow the next ST to plan ahead some. It would play out kind of like a "Choose your own adventure" book where each new choice is selected by a different person.
Spectre

Postby David » Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. If we did a multi session adventure like this, we would want to try to make it so that if someone misses a session or two because of RL interference, they would be able to join back in. We will already have PCs popping in and out due to STs rotating.
David

Postby Shamsy » Tue May 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Spot on spectre. That's what I was thing of exactly. I'm not worried about putting limits on. We’re all sensible enough and I think the week or two between adventures is more than enough prep time so not worried on that front either.

David is right about needing continuity where someone may be absent. Usually I just do the old “Smith follows quietly” and “Smith battles his own opponent”. I don't like to have an absent PC ‘played’ as I feel it's both unfair if something happens and only the player really knows the PC. Not to mention SCORE access.

So I'll kick something off, now we need hands up from volunteer ST.
Shamsy

Postby Shamsy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:54 pm

*Sounds of crickets*

Sigh. Well the lack of response is disappointing. Can no one else really run one session a month?
Shamsy

Postby raskule » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:43 am

Not sure some are still checking this. I'll do some pokes on Skype and let them know.
raskule

Next

Return to Community News