Privacy of PM's

News and information about the site, and the direction it is going.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Privacy of PM's

Postby Jeremy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Hey gang,

I just wanted to clarify something. I heard recently that rumors were going around that DM's could somehow see Private Messages. This is patently untrue. The ONLY person that has any kind of ability to that regard would be ddream the site programmer and even then he would have to be able to get to it within a few hours before the logs are cleared. Basically I don't want anyone worrying that somehow the DM Big Brother is watching over their shoulder and if you have any questions about it please feel free to send me a PM and we can talk.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Re: Privacy of PM's

Postby Stam » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:52 pm

I did a bit of searching about the site and I can't locate the widget that says that chat PMs no longer have the abovementioned privacy. Is this still the case or should this be taken down?
Stam

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 am

I am unaware of a feature that allows chat PMs to be researched. However, given that I have the capacity to get into the back panel and have no desire to go figuring out how to find PMs in the chat, PMs are still effectively safe.
I move the stars for no one. You've run so long you've run so far. Your eyes can be so cruel.  Just as I can be so cruel.
Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:13 am

Amendment: I am the one with access to the chat back panel and I am unaware of how to look up PMs. I have no interest in figuring this out, so PMs are, as far as I know and have the capacity to look up, still only between the senders. DMs, in chat, CAN NOT, I repeat, CAN NOT, view PMs.
I move the stars for no one. You've run so long you've run so far. Your eyes can be so cruel.  Just as I can be so cruel.
Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:23 am

Second amendment: The only way a PM can be viewed by a DM in chat is if you PM the DM. PMs are only viewable between the parties that they are sent to. That applies to anyone. Effectively, in chat, DMs do not have any additional powers than any other players. To do anything (boot, ban, etc) would require logging into the back panel.

I realize that every so often we get the concern that DMs are able to view your PMs in live chat. Let me reiterate:

THIS IS NOT TRUE. PMs CAN ONLY BE VIEWED BY PLAYERS WHO SENT THE PM AND THOSE SET TO RECEIVE IT. IF SOMEONE READS YOUR PM, IT WAS EITHER MIS-SENT OR SHARED BY ONE OF THE PARTY MEMBERS THE MESSAGE WAS SENT TO.
Mark

Postby Stam » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 am

Huh. Okay, I must have been thinking about the interim chat. Thanks for clearing that up!
Stam

Postby Rosemadder » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:23 am

I can't believe someone legitimately found a way to resurrect this thread.
Rosemadder

Postby Kemian » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Yes the interim chat that we had been using allowed for DM's to view all PM's. This was a feature which IIRC could be turned off by the DM's and many of them did so at the time. The new chat...Marek already said the pertinent stuff.
Kemian

Return to Community News