How to check what length your journal post is gonna be.

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

How to check what length your journal post is gonna be.

Postby Murdling » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 am

I might be the only one this applies to, I really don't know. I do not use Word because I do not use or have Office and can't be arsed to go find a copy, which meant 'a standard page' was an impossible guideline for me to predict at first. So instead I figured out hitting print preview in wordpad works for this, as it'll show it the closest thing I can find to what 'a page' looks like length wise. The whole font and spacing thing seems to be fitted for 11 point font sizeand 1.15 spacing.
Murdling

Re: How to check what length your journal post is gonna be.

Postby Ian » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

Try Google Docs. It's both free and awesome. So is OpenOffice.

Alternately, Notepad++ (my go-to replacement for Notepad) shows a character count. One page of text is about 250 words, and on average a word count is about 1/6 the character count.

I don't think Shamsy's really checking too hard, though. (He can tell me if I'm wrong.) The idea is more that a 30-word blurb doesn't cut it, and "about a page" is a simple place to draw the effort-line.
Ian

Postby Murdling » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:28 am

The 250 word thing won't cut it with 11 point and 1.15, the one I sent with 275 was rejected as too short =P
Murdling

Postby Shamsy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:20 am

Ian wrote:I don't think Shamsy's really checking too hard, though. (He can tell me if I'm wrong.) The idea is more that a 30-word blurb doesn't cut it, and "about a page" is a simple place to draw the effort-line.

That about sums it up. I'm looking for the about a page. There is no word count and if it's a little under or over, no problem.

I'd like to see a degree of consistency in submission, so about a page is how this will be achieved. I hope people enjoy writing these and see it as a worthwhile exercise in RP and character building.
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
Shamsy

Postby Stam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:17 am

*analytics*

Taking your example from the journals and dropping it into Word, it came out as 10-point Trebuchet with 1.15 line spacing (including title and your footnote to fill the page) and manual line breaks. Removing the title and footnote and bumping it to 11-point had it overreaching the page mark. It's also just under 650 words, which is a sizable jump above Ian's benchmark of 250.

So ... yeah, "about a page" is probably a bit vague a metric without some basic specs.
Stam

Postby Jiriki » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:53 am

Failing that, just write some shit down, go make coffee and re read it, then write some more.

Go into the sensory world, imagine how the wall feel, describe it and you'll hit your target. Writing is a piece of piss.
Jiriki

Postby Stam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Oh, I wrote two pages for mine by the same metrics. TL;DR, maybe? ;)
Stam

Postby sayari » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Ian has brill solutions to this issue. Of course I don't have time to write journal entries... soooo ;) I'll just stick to my programming and presentations and stuff!
sayari

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions