Mounts

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Mounts

Postby Sister » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:36 am

I'm currently making a gold dwarf and their preferred mounts are lizards.

Do we allow lizard mount? (Can I have one?)

If not is there a list of approved mounts I could look at?

And what would the price be for one?

were would i find stats for a lizard mount?
Sister

Re: Mounts

Postby Stam » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 am

This post here covers some mounts.

Edit: Seems the lizard mounts weren't included there. There are some listed in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and some listed in Drow of the Underdark. Both are approved sources here, but neither one lists the cost of the mount.
Stam

Postby Sister » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Ok I've looked, with some help, and can't find lizard mounts with a price.

and the list posted in the link above from stam doesn't have lizard mounts listed.
Sister

Postby Failbhe » Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 am

Only place I know of with a price on riding lizards is in the Arms and Equipment guide from 3.0. They list the cost as 300gp + 1000gp to be trained as mounts. They are quite rare anywhere outside of underdark, but Waterdeep is connected to underdark.......
Makin - 6th lvl (Cleric of Amaunator 5 / Combat Medic 1)
Ogmios Vox - 1st lvl (Bard 1)
Fios-Khelek Heru (Grunt Ka Thunk) - 20th (Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 / Frostmage 4 / Arcane Trickster 10)
Failbhe

Postby Sister » Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 am

where did you find that at? Cause i been looking for price and info and come up with a big fat nothing.
Sister

Postby Kemian » Fri May 01, 2015 10:47 am

The Arms and Equipment Guide is a 3.0 book.
Kemian

Postby Sister » Fri May 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Well dang. I don't have that book to look at.
Sister

Postby Ian » Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Riding lizards actually are in the Mount writeup Stam linked, but way down the list--they got lumped with camels in the category of mundane animals used as mounts due to extreme environmental adaptation. They also somehow didn't make the price list.

It looks like I tagged riding lizards at 1300 gp, probably because of their entry in the A&EG, though I don't typically consider that book much of a source (it has a lot of problems). Still, it's a good enough estimate for government work.

As Donn noted, they're Underdark-specific mounts, heavily used by drow, and it would make sense for the gold dwarves (who tend to emerge less from the Underdark) to favor them as well. Actually using one on the surface would be somewhat unusual, and as reptiles it's safe to presume venturing into the wrong climate with one will necessitate some additional protection methods.
Ian

Postby Sister » Fri May 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the info.
Sister

Postby Rosemadder » Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Dwarves are in the habit of using ponies, certain ones bred to withstand dwarven densities and not get flattened by them. Shield ponies, for example, which even though there is a size disconnect, specifically are stated to carry dwarves.

In addition, I think dire boars are used as dwarven mounts. And i would totally seat one with the appropriate classes on a rhino. Given a connection to the right area. I think a dwarf and a rhino have a hell of a lot in common. Mind, that rhino would only be able to go into certain caverns, and not the small other ones.

Think about Strong Freaking Mounts and holding up a heck of a lot of weight. We have more mounts out there than are technically written down, IF you can find a trainer to caatch and tame one to the exotic sattle. AND if its appropriate to the rider's race and religious preferences. IF you can afford the gold, post your wild idea (think thOUSANDS) and see if something can be arranged.
Rosemadder

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions