Archive

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Away for possibly a week and a half.

Postby Jeremy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:31 am

Hey gang,

I may be away as much as a week and a half. Kerry and I are moving to a new place in London and also traveling to Amsterdam for a week so we do not know if we will have internet access. If we do it will be sporadic. If you need to ask me something just send a PM and I will check them whenever I can.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Amsterdam is a wonderful little town, have fun!
ManthisFocht

Rough Road Ahead...

Postby DmDrow » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:37 am

Sorry about literally disappearing off the internet for so long without warning but my life has had some pretty rough seas lately. Still weathering the figurative 'storm' I am not too certain when I shall be joining the games again. I will try some time after christmas.

Again guys I am really sorry. =/
DmDrow

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:02 pm

No worries, deal with your 'storm' and when things calm down we'll still be here. As a precaution though, please PM myself or another DM with your character's names, and we'll make sure they stay intact during yout hiatus.

Good luck with your RL issues.

Best Regards,
Keith
Keith

Back Again...

Postby tachus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:39 am

Hey all... just got back in port today... being out for a month sucks.... the seas werent great, got a bit rough for a while... but we got to stop in Guam for a few days, which was filled with beautiful weather... anyways, hopefully i can start being on a bit more at reasonable times... hopefully... see you all IC...

tachus
tachus

Postby Jiriki » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:45 am

YAY!! ~THROWS A PARTY!!~
Jiriki

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:49 am

Well, hafa adai and welcome... did you save me any kelaguen or finadine? *sniff* I need some red rice baaaaaaaad!

Have they widened Marine Drive in Tamuning yet, and did you visit the new underwater aquarium?

Postby tachus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:43 am

eh....? no idea what half of what you said was... we were there for like 4 days... and i worked most of it... and i didnt go onto the marine part of the base... mostly just went swimming and relaxed after being crammed on a ship for like 2 weeks... *shrug* anyways... it seems like i'm back to the same old being around at the wrong-ish times... hope to catch people soon...
tachus

Attention Book Readers

Postby Xairren » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:33 pm

DISCLAIMER: I love to read and thought I'd share this with all of you, if it is not your thing please ignore. Thanks.

I've been having some friends tell me about trading paper back novels on the internet for a while now. Went ahead and have tried it and I'm already thrilled with it. I'm getting rid of several books that I've not read for years and finding others that have been out of print for some time.

The web site is www.paperbackswap.com

To say hi to me there just send a note to my username "bnj1776"

Enjoy,
Brian
Xairren

Eragon : Like watching a really bad made for TV movie ..

Postby Failbhe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 am

I have NEVER seen such a great book get turned into such a FLAMING PILE OF DOG VOMIT!! It was like the guy who wrote the script only read the cliff-notes on the book and then mixed things up to make the movie interesting. The elf DOES NOT EVEN HAVE POINTED EARS! and the DWARF IS TALLER THAN 2/3 of the humans! The dragon had FEATHERS and FUR! The make up jobs are like some early star trek where Kirk hits on some alien, though the dialog fit right in with the Kirk-like acting stylings.

How anyone could possibly salvage this movie to make the sequel is beyond me. They hacked off all the major story points for the second movie.

On the plus side, it has a dragon in it.

Please keep in mind, the movie was NOTHING like the books. The books are great!!! I recommend reading them as highly as I recommend not seeing the movie.

It just felt really hurried and they skipped whole sections of plot to get to a fight at the end that made no sense at all.
Failbhe

Postby Jiriki » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:13 am

Thanks for the tip Donn. I'll not be going to see that then. If the books are as good as you say then I know what I'll be spending my chrimbo cash on!!
Jiriki

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:09 am

Would this be a bad point to say that, granted all of the above, I really enjoyed the movie?

I haven't read the book, so I can't judge points for accuracy, but as far as enjoyable fantasy cliche goes, it pushed all the right buttons with me. Jeremy Irons and Jon Malkovitch have elevated over-acting to the level of high art. The uninspired, predictable plotpoints, to me, felt more like old standbys.

Kind of like, "You guys are all sitting around in a tavern, minding your own business, when one of the local farmers wanders in looking all distressed and says to the bartender..."

You know, sure it's a cheesy and not especially convincing, but there's something familiar and silly about it that I really enjoyed.

And there were no Wayens brothers, and you didn't need to watch deleted scenes to understand the narrative, so it's automatically better than the D&D movie... as much as that's saying.
Andy

Postby Failbhe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:30 am

Question for you Andy.

Did you read the books? Am just curious if it really helps to not have the plot of the books in mind when you see the movie.

Jess and I were discussing it last night, in Harry Potter:Sorceror's Stone terms (Putting a first movie in a series vs a first movie series). It was as though they had Dudley Dursley being nice, Mr. Dursley would have sent Harry straight off to school, made George and Fred out to be uptight and straight laced, dropped McGonagall, Snape and Ginny from the movie entirely, had Hagrid being normal sized and there being no ghosts in the castle, rather than playing quidditch they would have been playing soccer, would have had the 3 headed dog be killed off by the troll in the halloween scene, cut out the whole Nicholas Flamel storyline, made Prof. Dumbledor out to have stolen the stone and is hiding in the School to cover his shame, and the final scene against Quirrell would have had them doing battle on brooms throwing fireballs at one another.

It would have been an interesting story, it would just not have been the story that was written and next to impossible to make the Chamber of Secrets.
Failbhe

Postby Jiriki » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:35 pm

DAMN!!

Game, set and match Donn....

Wow that was one way of putting! :lol:
Jiriki

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:15 pm

I understand the inclination to be defensive when a story we love is changed for the worse and we aren't given real opportunity to understand why the story teller made the creative decisions that they did.

But, um, I don't want to put anything down, but your complaints are mostly aesthetic details. From all accounts I've heard, the books sounds mostly like cliched, derivative, overblown pulp fantasy tripe to begin with. Nothing anybody's told me about it interests me except that the author was young. It sounds to me like a 400 page collection of references to better writers. I'd probably love it, myself, for just those reasons, but I find it ironic that in the end it's probably about as good a piece of literature as the movie is a piece of film.
Andy

PreviousNext

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions