Archive

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Ambidexterity

Postby Shandiir » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:41 pm

I take it ambidexitery is no longer a feat in 3.5? Sorry the only books I have are AD&D 2nd ed and original D&D3rd ed
Shandiir

Postby ilanian » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:04 pm

3.5 pretty much combined Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting into the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. If you take that feat and have a light weapon in your off hand your penalty is only -2/-2

Two-Weapon Fighting Rules has a nice table to explain everything.

If you don't have the 3.5 books you can go to www.d20srd.org and access the 3.5 rules online. It doesn't have everything that is allowed on the site, but it does have the basics.
Necromancy:
Helping to lessen our dependency on the funereal industrial complex.

Reduce
Reuse
Reanimate
ilanian

Postby ilanian » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:41 am

I'm going to disagree with Donn almost completely about this movie. June and I just got back from seeing it, and I think it absolutely rocked.

I haven't read the book, and enjoyed the plot, the characters, the effects, and especially the dragon.

The dwarves were shorter than everyone else, but not that much shorter (which makes sense as D&D dwarves are between 4.5 and 5 feet, and the average human is around 5.5 feet).

From what I could tell, there are three groups other than the kingdom subjects talked about, elves, dwarves, and another group (not going to try to spell it). The other group is the one seen, leaving (again from what I could tell) only one elf in the entire movie. Granted she didn't have pointed ears, but is that really necessary?

My recommendation, especially if you haven't read the book, is to check out previews for the movie and then make up your own mind whether or not to see it in the theaters based of what you see. If you think you might like it, see it in the theaters because the effects will look so much better.
Necromancy:
Helping to lessen our dependency on the funereal industrial complex.

Reduce
Reuse
Reanimate
ilanian

Postby Jiriki » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:51 am

The whole point of the Elves having 'pointy' ears is the effect Saphira has on Eragon physically. Therefore it's totally redundant for them to leave that crucial detail out.

I have the books now (i got them for chrimbo, thanks mum!!) and to be honest... The more I hear about the film, the more it sounds like it was rushed out on the strength and popularity of the writer's reputation within the high school community network. I understand he's rather an enigma what with his age and all, also, the success of the trilogy of those films that for years directors said they couldnt undertake the making of...

Lord Of The Rings.

In the end.. prior preparation prevents a piss poor performance, they should have either spent more money on the budget and had people actually READ the books properly, and should have taken longer to ensure they got it right. Both in light of what i've heard about the dragon having feathers.... (She's JEWELLED for crying out loud!) and the elves not having pointy ears.

I also have a horrible feeling that yet again, they've twatted about by forcing both the books together... That alone is a stupid thing to do!
Jiriki

White & Nerdy

Postby tachus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:31 am

It has come to my attention that some people haven't heard this yet... so just cause I know you all will appreciate it properly... go watch it...

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2772721?ns=1

tachus
tachus

Postby Dalabrac » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:44 am

sweeeet....I love Weird Al
Dalabrac

No internet at home

Postby Stam » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:44 pm

We got burgled. Both laptops are gone and we don't have a desktop, so we won't be online much until insurance comes through with payment.

*sigh*
Stam

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:58 pm

OUCH! I'm so sorry. Hopefully the insurance co. will be nice and cooperative so you guys can get everything sorted out quickly.
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
JuneBarcarolle

Book list

Postby Xairren » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Here is a good Forgotten Realms novel list if your interested.
Xairren

Postby Jiriki » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:53 am

The timeline looks fantastic. Thanks for the link!
Jiriki

Dresden files

Postby Stam » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 pm

Anyone here read these books?

(If not, they're a great read.)

If so...someone mind telling me how the TV series stacks up against the books? I'm guessing badly (and hence am semi-glad I don't have a TV) but I'm still curious.
Stam

Postby Xan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Never read the books, Stam. I like the TV series... it's not blowing me away, but it has potential.

Would Dresden be sort of like a Mage from WoD? Just curious........
Xan

Forgotten Realms Products for 2007

Postby Stormwalker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 pm

March
Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave Here is the first-ever Forgotten Realms hardcover super-adventure! Designed to take characters from 4th to 8th level, the adventure pits the heroes against the evil agents of Shar and Cyric as they plot to corrupt the worship of Mystra, goddess of magic. The adventure begins in Cormyr, but the characters must also travel to the Plane of Shadow to thwart the villains’ machinations.

June
Expedition to Undermountain This is a 224-page super-adventure that revisits the greatest dungeon in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Located beneath the city of Waterdeep, Undermountain has lured countless heroes to their doom. Like other adventures in the “Expedition” series, this product takes a classic D&D location, updates it for D&D v.3.5, and features many new surprises. It also includes source material for the players and a new combat encounter format designed to make the Dungeon Master’s job easier, as well as information to help Dungeon Masters adapt the adventure to serve their home campaigns.

July
Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered by evil Sharrans and the nefarious forces of Zhentil Keep. To drive the villains out of Shadowdale, the heroes must organize and lead a desperate revolt of Dalesfolk against their conquerors, as well as thwart the sinister designs of Shar’s servants and the Zhent garrison.
This is the second part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, although it can be easily played as a stand-alone adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

November
Anauroch: The Sundering of the World Here is the final part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. It can also be easily played as a stand-alone high-level adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the land of Anauroch, home of ancient Netherese ruins and the Empire of Shade.

The Grand History of the Realms This chronicles the rich history of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, presenting a detailed timeline accompanied by essays from Elminster of Shadowdale and other Realmslore experts. Although not a game supplement, it serves as a handy reference guide for players and Dungeon Masters seeking information on specific historical events. In addition, the book features an exclusive Forgotten Realms short story by best-selling author R.A. Salvatore and new revelations for Realmslore aficionados.
Stormwalker

Postby Stam » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:39 pm

We now have a spiffy new Dell desktop at home.

(Unfortunately, Windows Vista was the only choice of operating system. Gripes likely forthcoming.)
Stam

PreviousNext

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions