Archive

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

How to survive a Kemian run adventure

Postby Kemian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:23 pm

I am looking to start running stuff more frequently this summer so I thought I would mention a few things about the way I do things when it comes to running an adventure.

I dislike killing PC's, I joke about killing PC's frequently because well it is sort of fun to keep people guessing but I really dislike killing of PC's but that does not mean that I won't do so.

The quickest way to die in a Kemian run adventure is to not fully think through your actions and as a result your party uses bad tactics. (If you force me to deal with you charging into the open maw of a Red Dragon about to use it's breath weapon, your character is going to die 99.9 percent of the time.)

Sometimes running away is the only way to survive. (Sometimes things go wrong and you have to run away or even surrender.) There is no shame in this, it is what it is.

If I ask you a question, it might not be for my benefit. (I use questions to get people to consider what they are about to do, sometimes because it is very dangerous, sometimes because they are on the right track but not quite taking the right tact.)

Finally, I try very very hard not to rail road PC's into taking a single course of action but sometimes there is a clear logical course of action, if you intentionally veer off that path...things usually get weird and often they get dangerous. (There is a reason the regular caravan route between cities is used...it is typically the safest route).

Just some food for thought.

Kemian
Kemian

Seriously Wizards?

Postby Alex_Knight » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... s/20120625

Yes. They are reprinting 3.5. I have a thought on this: Pathfinder is the number one selling RPG over 4th edition.

But hey, maybe it could be good for the site?
Alex_Knight

Re: Seriously Wizards?

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 am

I have to wonder why they would be re-printing 3.5 ... unless 4.0 isn't as big of a hit as they had hoped?

((meanwhile, long time no see Alex! *hugs*))
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Stam » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:21 am

3.5e swiftly devolves to the point where PCs and monsters are playing "rocket launcher tag," best first experienced in the original Wolfenstein game with the...L4 boss? Point being, one hit you dead.

4e, from overhearing Ian's opinion and no personal experience whatsoever, is Padded Sumo Wrestling. Many many hits required to take things down, combat drags and drags.

Neither one is really optimal, there. Anyone playtested 5e yet? :p
Stam

Postby Azmon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:38 am

If only right? Hopefully they find a nice medium combat system between the two editions for it.
Azmon

Postby Ian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 am

There actually is one: it's called "Play 3.5e or Pathfinder, but start at 2nd level and stop somewhere between 6th and 10th (depending on splatbooks allowed)." The game actually works more or less nicely within that range, and there's a lot of people that specifically play "E6" style as a result. (And frankly, if we were starting a new game, I'd be tempted to propose doing exactly this as well.)

That said, chiming in with "Welcome back, Alex!" Between you and Andy, it's good to see some of the older faces coming back around.
Ian

Postby Kemian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 am

Dude....Alex, Andy....I think Ian just called you guys Old!

Are you gonna let him talk to you like that?
Kemian

Postby Azmon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:29 pm

E6 Would be fun but take some work.
Azmon

Re: Stam's Stupendous Sorting 'Stravaganza

Postby Stam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:03 am

Some progress made.
Stam

Re: Paying Attention

Postby Jiriki » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:42 am

Yep as my esteemed colleagues have said, stop and take a moment to type three little letters. AFK!!!!!!
Jiriki

New Character

Postby TheMaskedFerret » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Edward Wavecrest, human noble, depending on GM Approval.

Thanks!

TMF
TheMaskedFerret

Re: New Character

Postby Failbhe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:05 am

Looked the character over. Looks good but for the gear on him. Check new messages for a forum pm.

and please note we are transitioning to a new chat system that we are having built along with a new forum.
Makin - 6th lvl (Cleric of Amaunator 5 / Combat Medic 1)
Ogmios Vox - 1st lvl (Bard 1)
Fios-Khelek Heru (Grunt Ka Thunk) - 20th (Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 / Frostmage 4 / Arcane Trickster 10)
Failbhe

PreviousNext

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions