The fuses have been lit.

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

The fuses have been lit.

Postby Jiriki » Wed May 20, 2009 2:20 am

The shadowy figure regards the expeditious retreat with a smirk on his face. The door shutting behind him as he dim doors out. Then heads off to report to his leader.

The figure behind the small ivory carved desk grins with self assured approval. "Good. So that is phase one complete. We shall have to work out some more plans later. I am amused. Did they get all they were looking for?" he looks to the scout that reported back.

"They did Sir." He chuckles and leans forward to take a small lump of the greyish white food that sits on the table, but only after a nod from the figure behind the desk. The food is as good but salty, but it's nutrious and he knows it.

"So phase two is to be set in motion.. Make sure that this goes off without any problem. I pay well for success. But the price for failure is also expensive." With a wave of his hand he goes back to writing something on the dark vellum before him on the desk. "You may go."

When the scout is gone, another figure comes out of the shadows and speaks in another tongue. Whispering quietly to the figure behind the desk. The person behind the desk nods once more and continues to write. With a nod of approval, the unseen figure steps back into the shadows and when the figure at the desk finally ventures to look round, there's nothing there.
Jiriki

Re: The fuses have been lit.

Postby Jiriki » Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 am

~Somewhere in the catacombs below the city.~ Did it work? *The voice is whispered quietly into the darkness that surrounds him. The hairs rise on the back of his neck as he senses suddenly that he's not alone. The shadows form a figure and he starts to fumble with the special lantern that hides the light, sending it down. Only to have the lantern pulled from him somehow in a grip that he cannot combat. There's faint sound as the lantern light is extinguished with an unseen force. Surrounded now by only the faintest sound of someone breathing in total darkness the man feels the sudden rise of terror. An urge to run.*

You will know when the wanted posters are put up in the city won't you? *There's that almost impossible to hear whisper again as the person he's with answers.* Now you will leave. You will carry on as before. When we want your, House.. *There's a sneer in that word, as if in another time and place he would dearly like to use another word.* to do something more, we will contact you. If you speak of this with anyone, you will pay for it. If you think of dreaming about it, you will pay for it. *There's a promise of menace in those words. A promise of something perhaps worse than death.. something that would make him wish for death. He mutely nods and swallows convulsively.* I... I er...

*His words are cut off with a hand closing oh so slowly around his throat, a hand that came from no where... he could feel the urine suddenly pouring down his thighs in a hot stream of fear that had made itself physically present. There's a tone of amusement in the voice that continues as the person whose hand grips his throat and starts to squeeze, forcing even in that darkness tiny pinpricks of light to dance before his eyes.* You will go. Now. *Quiet assuredness as the pressure boils to near unconciousness, then the hand is gone, the sound of another person breathing is suddenly gone. Leaving him alone. He turns at that moment and flees. Forgetting about the lantern.. remembering only the hand that threatened so much more.*
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with gold."
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:35 am

Down deep, the cavernous room reverberated with the sounds of laughter. Mirth cascaded like the water that leeched down through the tonnes of stone above them. The entire group stood chuckling and cheering as they celebrated their success at the chaos that now lay in the city above.

At last a tall figure stood forward, raising his goblet in toast to his the victorious host that stood before him.
"Now my brothers and sisters, we shall make good on our victory. Well shall this be remembered. With great joy shall we revel within our hearts at the success. The fuses have been lit."

There was a cacophany of noise that surrounded the triumphant leader. He turned to the woman that lay bound and struggling on the stone tablet that had been set up. Above it a large monolithic figure of an armed being, none could tell if the figure was male or female but all grew silent as a smaller figure stepped forward, chanting in a low carnality that promised pleasure to those surrounding. The eyes of the struggling woman widened in terror as she beheld the large starlike blade that was held in the clerics hand. The cleric, dressed in an robe that could only be described as revealing showing nearly all of her skin, revealed in the stones that shone through out the cavern, the cleric raised her hands high, the chanting rising higher and higher as she stared up at the stone statue.

The eyes in the face plate shone suddenly, a deep malevolent crimson that stared balefully. Each and every member of the host fell to their knees, turning their faces away from the painful light, all except the cleric that stood bathed in the light.

A voice boomed throughout the cavern.. none could tell whether the voice was male of female, but it was one of those sounds that just reverberated around the cavern and within the skulls of those within.

The woman on the tablet screamed, a terrible sound for any of good heart that might have heard it, pleading for help, begging even as the cleric stood over her glanced down suddenly, a face of rapture with a high sweat sheen on her glistening skin.

"No, please? I'll do anything!" The woman on the tablet begged, tears of terror running freely even as she tried to wriggle free of the almost gently place hand that stroked her face. "plea...."

The woman saw suddnely that there was not only the cleric that stood over her. But rather that of a taller more imposing figure that suddenly seemed to super impose the cleric. Encompassing it. The oddly shaped dagger fell, fast, a sharp incredible pain as the blade peirced her skin oh so slowly. Cutting into flesh millimeter by millimeter punching down somehow through into her diaphragm, a gout of blood pushing up in return, breathing suddenly becoming almost impossible as it perforated into the deeper tissue, even then the woman on the tablet was still alive. She was still alive as the blade artfully cut into and around her heart, by then the pain was excruciating. She could only stare and then scream as a hand replaced that dagger, plunging in and plundering around inside her, moving slowly closer to her heart, then it was there, up above her. A still pulsating organ that pumped once, twice and then was raised high above her head.. the blood dripping down on to her face. Then silence. The darkness claimed her......
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with gold."
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:28 am

The two figures stand close together on the rooftop, one either side of the darkened spire, making it look to the observer that the former temple's roof had two new figures carved up there. If only they knew...

"So has the acquisition been given the item?" Speaking quietly, the first figure regarded the masses below with his red eyes balefully.

"Yes. Along with instructions and I doubt the acquisition will be foolish enough to get caught. If it does, then it has been informed not to expect any form of rescue." The second figure reaches up to pull the scarf down from his face slightly crouching fluidly, his red amber eyes gleaming catlike in the darkness momentarily.

The first nods silently and then smirks. "And the other matter? The tracking? Any success?" He leans so casually against the spire as if it were just another part of him. Others might clutch in panic at the heights, but not these two. The second snorts.

"The Quarry appears to have gone to ground. We appear to be inconclusive as to others in his life. But the events on their training ground were interesting.. Are you aware, the blame for that is being laid at our feet?"

The first turns and ponders this.. wandering around the spire with pursed lips as he thinks this over... "I was not aware. But one other death is not my concern nor my business. Given time they will all either die under our swords or serve on their knees." He smirks again and regards the folks below, still unware of their guests above them.

"If only those cattle knew... If only they could see... I would love to see their faces when the dawn of realisation lights up in their eyes.. that moment of panic and terror... " He raises a hand in mockery of supplication.. "Oh no, please.. " His voice a parody of human fear and terror. "Please mister big bad drow.. don't kill me!" There's a harsh laugh from his companion and then the mockery falls to miming the action of firing crossbows at random targets.

"This place would be ideal in the future for an air attack.. we should start training them in those tactics. Pick off targets at random..." He mulls that over as his companion snorts again and stands then comments.

"Sun will rise.. We should head off.. I hate that moment, I can feel my eyes beginning to water just thinking about it.." He grumbles even as they move to the edge of the former temple building and step off into nothingness. Their spells taking them gently to the ground and then with silent, casual steps, now avoiding the guards and patrols with alarming ease, as if they already possess the streets stepping into shadows and out again before heading back below.. into the their world. The lands below, to the Underdark.
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 pm

The sound of the air unzipping breaks through the sound of silence beneath the city. Two figures jump slightly at the sound and then the image of a stumbling person stepping out. He clutches his upper shoulder, blood pouring from between fingers as the bolt sticks out from there. There's a sharp sound of laughter and a woman steps forward.

"My my.. two in two eh?" She peers curiously at the wound and then walks away with disinterest.

"They were lucky both times. But atleast this time I am certain I killed one. I saw his body fall from the rooftop." He curses and grunts as he pulls the shaft from his shoulder, then with sticky fingers he uncorks a potion and swallows it. Sighing with relief as the pain dissipates.
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 am

The pain kept him awake. He relished in it, admitting his failure had been - hard. His hands strained and his fingers flung open from their bunched fists as the whip lashed down on his open wounds once more. The heads digging into his flesh and ripping out more chunks as they laid down across his back and then were gone again. The impact knocking the breath out of him. By Lolths eyes but could his sister flog a man. The silent eyes of those watching didn't flinch, they didn't turn away, there was no sympathy, no understanding, no support.

When the next blow rained down on his tender flesh he had to bite down into his cheek to prevent from crying out. He knew her too well. She'd relish the pain caused even as the rivers of blood poured down his back in a cascading torrent, stinging as the sweat mingled with it and poured into his wounds. He breathed out. Carefully through gritted teeth, counting in his head to seek out the next blow. The one that didn't come. Had he lost count already? Then his sister was in his line of sight.

"You were told to kill the imposter. You failed. You won't do that again now will you - brother. The goddess won't tolerate your failure. Neither will I."

Through the mist of pain he saw her smirking, gods but he wanted to bury his dagger into her beautiful amber eyes. He could almost hear her screams as he cut them out one by one, then her panic as he let her loose into the underdark. Damned and hated by his brethren. That and that bastard caster too.

"Yes Sister." He swallowed down his gall and hatred as much as he could and when she turned somehow managed to resist the urge to lift himself up by his wrist bindings and wrap his legs around her neck, even then his muscles contracted as if unable to let go of the urge. He'd killed like that before also. Wrapping and squeezing until the blood had stopped, then continuing long past the death-throes that had claimed his tormenting mother.

She reached up and cut the bindings, letting him drop to the floor and lay there in the darkness. He dared not close his eyes on her though. She'd have loved that. Any sign of weakness right now could prove fatal. Trembling muscles that almost, almost refused to respond to his demands pushed him up. Then his legs took over and he got to his feet, resisting the urge to rub some life back into his hands and suddenly tingling fingers.

"No, you won't fail again." She whispered almost to herself as she walked away. The others in his unit waited until he walked towards them. Frowning curiously as they examined his back and then nodded. One stepped forward, his most trusted companion - friend. He hated him just a little less than the others.

"You'll heal soon enough." He nodded as he too checked the wounds. "I thought she was going to actually kill you this time." He chuckled then passed an alcoholic drink to him.

"Not if I get to rip her eyes out first." Is the reply. No one flinched, no one gasped out loud. He swallowed the drink, tasting it carefully first and murmering a spell across the top. No one was offended. Even as he did it he could feel the strength leeching from his body, with great care not to show weakness he moved to a place where he could sit and drink the beverage.

"I'll try again soon. This time, I'll kill her. I won't let her insult the Drow again." His eyes gleamed hatefully into the darkness.
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:34 am

The planning of it all had been so simple.

The figure sat nonchalantly on his bunk in the cell, one foot raised to rest casually on the bunk, the other dangling off it with ease. As always the sneer remained in place. Through the bars, the watch officer investigating the string of murders glared at the drow thoughtfully, then made his way again to question the prisoner. Once more, care was taken to ensure that the foul creature was tied up, then he stepped into the cell to begin questioning. He patted himself for a scribe stick, then frowned angrily again at himself. Standing he turned his back on the drow and it was then that it struck. The wriggling figure had somehow managed to release his bonds enough to move his arms, now he lunged and wrapped those bonds around the officers' throat, gargling and going purple as the air was suddenly cut off, the drow whispered a word of magic that made the officer's ears pop.

When the struggling was over, the drow stood again. Then stripping the over garments of his latest victim, he slipped them over his own clothing and muttered more of that arcane language and pulled the blanket down over the body of his victim that now lay on the bunk. Then taking the keys, he smirked and made his way out of the gaol. Claiming his weaponry wasn't to be such a problem, so he made his way to the armory having committed to memory the route, then took back what was his. A small furry face peeked out from behind a pile of cloaks, squeaking at the 'officer' who in return nodded, then followed the rat that scampered out the door, a small box in another room contained his own personal items. The contents of which had been poured over enviously by most of the watch. One or two of them had even come to gloat over their 'wins' for when he - the prisoner - was done.

Once retrieved, he nodded to the small rat, who leapt suddenly and landed on his shoulder, the 'officer' hid him in a fold of his cloak hood and then stalked out the door.

Later, when one of the guards was being questioned, the answer would come back.

"No sir, Capn Fallstaff just seemed even angrier cos the prisoner still refuses to speak... or so he said...he said he was going out to clear his head before trying again."

Turning left out the main door and squinting in the late afternoon sun, the 'officer' made his way into the alleys again and was gone.
Jiriki

Return to In Character Roleplaying