A waif named Wolf...

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

A waif named Wolf...

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 am

Friends of Rauvin and Ashe are summoned one morning, informed of a special ceremony that they are encouraged to attend in Honor of the new little Bloodmoon. They are asked to meet at the sea gate of NorthWard...

Rauvin and Ashe, along with their spawn, are sent for finally. A wee, woven beastie arrives at the shop and motions for them to follow. He'll dance along the road way, leading them to the gate out on the beach where Rauvin and Astrid had shared some private moments. Here they meet up with any of those friends who were able to attend, and the bouncy basket boy would then trot along northerly.

The trail will lead along the shore, sometimes on the soft sand, other times riding up along more soled ground away from the rocky shore. Walking casually for about two hours before a trail leads off across the sand-grass dunes to the east. Salty air and sounds of seagulls follow you for another half hour or so before small, windblown trees appear. The trail continues along, Astrid leaving easily readable markers for Rauvin to follow, through some low rolling hills and into a thicket of low pines, cherry trees, and plums. Brightly blooming hibiscus and silvery aspen decorate the path also laden with ripening fig and a myriad of berry bushes.

Finally the trail reaches a hillside. A tightly woven hedge surrounds it at the base with a neatly trimmed, arched entry with wild rose vines entangled through out. You walk in, and it's almost another world. The trail becomes a neat, narrow stairway that winds counter clockwise up the hill. Stones with runes of various meanings line this path, and you can see several dozen yards up the hill a series of tall, thick stones in a regular pattern reaching to the sky.

You encircle the hill one full round before the path rises straight upwards in neat little steps. Every other step has carved in it words of encouragement and virtues to aspire to such as Patience, Courage, Hope and Diligence. The steps in between sparkle with a rainbow of semiprecious gems and colorful rocks. At the top, you pass between two pairs of joined stones, each one 7ft tall with a slender 6ft long stone laid over them. Twelve similar pairs stand at nearly even intervals around a 80ft diameter ring into a shallow basin ahead. Inside this circle of stones is a slightly sloped area, covered about 1/3 of the way in with a blanket of wild flowers. The scents mingle with each other and the fragrance of something else you figure comes from the small fire burning at the center. The path leads around the ring both directions, and ahead to the middle where Astrid stands. On the two side paths are several wooden benches for any guests to sit and observe.

In the middle of all this is Astrid, standing in a 20ft ring of cleared earth, elaborately laid stones and bricks form a mosaic of seasonal design all across the ground here, edged with more colored rocks. Astrid wears ceremonial robes and holds onto "Falco" with a most stern and serious stance. Several little odd creatures bounce about tending to an enormous wood pile, and others guard a large table strewn with foods of all kinds.

"WELCOME" Astrid greets you, with a smile and moves to the edge of her ring. "If the witnesses will take a seat there " she indicates the upper ring of benches "and the family join me here.. " She motions to two smaller benches on opposite sides of the fire ring (like at 10:00 and 2:00).

Here in the center you notice more runes in the mosiac, and the 'altar' is decorated with symbols of Silvanus and (rauvins) as well as other symbols of Joy, Peace, Prosperity and other typical pleasantries.

Once everyone is in place, she will turn to the witnesses and greet them.

"Welcome..."

She focuses on the new parents. She speaks in Illuskan for Rauvin's sake, making occasional explanations for Ashe and the others.

"In our world, family and tribe and clan is everything. We depend upon each other for our very survival. In sickness... for food and companionship" Her tone is 'official', stern and rehearsed. "Without family, we are but empty shells traversing a lonely road amidst a hostile environment that tears at our mind, body and soul to make us weak." She pauses for effect.

"Family, and belonging to ... and with ... others, is the lifeblood of humanity. We draw strength from one another's presence, and it gives purpose to our lives... a reason for being." Here she sighs a bit heavily but continues.

"Rauvin and Ashe... have found one another, across hundreds of miles" she waves the staff in a great arch, pointing out towards Silverymoon. "and have become one ... even if they haven't had the union blessed by the shaman.. " Ok, she couldn't help but interject that part.. tsk tsk. "And have as one, produced a new life. Their blood lines joined to become stronger yet in a new generation.... If we were back in High Forest, there would have been a great party... and celebrations... and kin would come from all around to welcome him... There would be a great reading of ancestors.. honoring those who have brought each of you to this point in time. But we are not there... and our situations are not as they are back h...back in the forest. We have travelled individual roads, independently for too long. Sires and dames are unknown... we cannot revel in the greatness of our kin. We have endured singly. And, as such, a new history has been born, not just from the loins of Ashe and Rauvin... but from their union and commitment to each other. A new line begins... and we shall rejoice in that!"

Astrid raises her hands up in the air and the little wood woses and bogun whoot and rattle some primitive instruments. Then she stops them and turns back to Ashe and Rauvin.

"Through our lives, we take on many roles, and as such, many names are given us. Rauvin... Bloodmoon, hunter, protector, Friend of the Wolf... Brother... " the last her voice cracks slightly, as she turns to Ashe "Ashe.... smithy.. companion, mother.. And, a name defines who we are to others. Our place in our world.. Your son, is here to be named. He shall receive four names... One from each of his parents. One for the world to know him as, and one, from the spirits... that only he and they will know... " she smiles wryly.

"Rauvin, Ashe. Father, Mother. If you would stand and declare the name that you select for your son. Think carefully... for this name will be with him for his whole life.. "

She then steps closer to the fire and pulls the staff to her shoulder and waits for them to stand and speak.

Re: A waif named Wolf...

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

((OOC: This would be an open thread, for anyone who considers themselves "friends" of Rauvin and Ashe who would be interested in attending a special Naming Ceremony. Feel free to make comments.
Especially, I need Ashe and Rauvin to respond/post to Astrid's request.....
Please??))

Postby Talinor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:06 am

((I'm waiting for Bex, and I'm pretty sure she's not back until next week))
Talinor

Postby Jiriki » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 am

((Is back))

The dig about them not being 'wed' is greeted with a raised eyebrow and a popping of two knuckles. But she narrows her eyes and listens, if anyone was hoping for this woman to stand all luvvy duvvy for this they were mistaken. Her arms are folded for the most part even as she watches impassively..

She drawls lazily when Astrid speaks to her.. "Wolf. He's already got his name."
Jiriki

Postby Talinor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm

*Rauvin stands next to those of his family. His wife-mate, his cub...and the wolf he called brother. In front of the one he named blood-sister. His arms bent at the elbows, the fists resting on his hips. He was dressed in a mixture of what he might call herdlander and wild styles. The tanned head of the bear of his own personally given manhood hunt as a hood upon his head. His new black dragon scale breastplate covering his torso. The dark green cloak made by the ancient ones (or so he thought) that protected him while hunting. But he also wore the bear claw gauntlets marked by his personal totem.. the spirit hunter Gwaeron Windstrom, and necklace of fangs and claws around his neck. The ornate darkwood greatsword was slung across his back, as well as a plain dagger at his waist. Piled on in various places were the items needed if this were to turn into a hunt, when of the wild, one was always prepared for unforeseen events.*

*His eyes narrowed when the shaman admitted that she had not done her duty and stepped forward to bind the first couple of what might be a new tribe someday together.

His nose flared slightly when the ideas of kin that neither himself nor Ashe enjoyed were mentioned...but otherwise he stood impassively*

*He listened to Ashe speak, and was glad she would have come to this at all. His own barely remembered fleeting moments of youth was ingrained in the necessity of keeping the spirits on your side. When it was his turn to speak... he did so, explaining things to Ashe in illuskan*

"As it should be. Alpha female gives name of cub time. Alpha male gives name of ancestors.. Rauvin has none but Rauvin.. so Rauvin it must be. "

*He looked at Astrid and spoke again*
"We have howled.. when he might earn it.. Wolf shall be named Arlen after manhood hunt. This first in tribe... Rauvin grow more strong vow to spirits, when strong enough will lead tribe on hunts in honor of that which gives blessing."
*And looks back to Ashe*
"The name totems give him.. come from shaman who listens."

*And then he waits... for it is no longer his time to waste his breath on howling*
Talinor

Postby Jiriki » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Ashe's eyes narrow more.

"Exactly.. why do you want to name our son? What precisely does his life have to do with you?"

Her entire frame is a series of tense lines.
Jiriki

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Standing stoically, keeping a cheerful yet reverent face as the pair speak, hiding her own reactions to their words or responses to the ceremony so far, she smiles to Rauvin and bows to Ashe.

"It is not /me/ who desires to name the boy. It is the way of the the spirits, the way of the tribe, and the way of life. Wolf is the name that people will know him as. As his mother, you have the honor of selecting another name... one that expresses your own ties to your son. One that distinguishes him as /your/ son, and blood of your loins. The spirits too have revealed unto me his true name. The one that only binds his soul to the souls of all.. past, present and future... "

She looks around and shifts her weight somewhat. This ceremony was likely over her own head. Something that the Eldest elders attended to, and she'd only managed to see a few, hidden in bushes.

"It is a special time, to ... to show support for him, and to let him know, that, uh, that kin is not blood only. Our tribe, such as it is, and your friends " a wave of the staff to the witnesses "are also family, and ... are ... part of seeing to his raising and welfare."

She plants 'Falco' on the dirt before her again with a nod, yes, that was it exactly. Surely Ashe could understand that?

Postby Talinor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:34 pm

"No" *He says the word distinctly..and speaks in his broken common for all gathered to understand*

"Too much howling. His cub name is wolf. To howl different sounds only waste breath. And dishonor mother who howled the sound. His father who accepts the sound. The tribe that supports him, and the spirits that hear it."

*His demeanor was firm, his muscled flexed slightly as if daring someone to challenge him on such a matter. He seemed to repeat himself, as if used to being misunderstood..but this time trying to make sure he is not.* "You are shaman, blood-sister. But you speak in herdlander way. A hundred different howls is not more strong. Four howls sounds to honor. One to honor mother. One for the tribe and ancestors. One to be won. One to honor spirits.

Not many howl sounds for wolf. All other howl sound for wolf..dishonor mother, father, tribe, ancestor.. spirits."

*He nods his head at the other words however* "Yes, ritual for all tribe. Show strength pack, tribe to all. Honor spirit. Honor tribe. One tribe, one family. The hunt pack, the tribe live, die.. one. We swear protect all who swear same. All of pack of tribe. If ritual start new way....is good."

*He takes the dagger from his belt with his right hand, and stabs it through the middle of his left hand.. growling through the pain* "Blood is tribe. Blood is life. We share, we honor. In time we live, we die. Young grow strong, tribe grow... this Rauvin see in mind past, many moon past..of Rauvin cub time."

*It was rare for him to speak of the nightmares of his youth, mostly he kept to the merely dark times of living alone in the wilderness...perhaps these words were the first heard by those gathered...and demonstrated by his action. But few would be surprised, he was a man more of action then of howling*
Talinor

Postby Jiriki » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 pm

*The mentioning of support did illicit a defiant gleam.* I'm here aint I? If I didn't support either of my men then I'd leave now. And there's sod all you could to do stop me. But I'm here, I'm here for MY family. I'm here cos that's what Rauvin wanted.

*Her eyes take a slightly golden gleam to them for a moment as the sun catches them, there's a challenge there - coming for ya, ready or not - this too is completely new territory and when Rauvin stabs his own hand she nods in grim determination, then takes the dagger from him and cuts her own hand deep enough for the blood to run free her teeth clenched, clasping it to Rauvins, wound to wound and keeps eye contact with him as she speaks.* Blood of my blood, bone of my bone, this ties us together until we are gone.

*The half elf then narrows her eyes looking at Astrid and there's a silent challenge in those fathomless brown orbs as she adds.* There. Tied.

*She tosses the blade into the air and catches it by the hilt easily, handing it back to Rauvin with a slight smile, a personal one that only he'd understand.*

Wolf is my son. He's mine and Rauvins blood, we made him, we chose to name him, we bring him up. We also choose one or two friends to assist with his education and upbringing. I choose a half-orc and a human priest of the morninglord along with another trusted human and a scattering of people that are of the outter circle. What Rauvin chooses to bring to the table is his business. But ultimatly, if your spirits should choose to name the boy something then that is also Rauvins business. I'm here for him. Now, whether that makes us a tribe I dunno, but it makes us a clan for sure. A family.
Jiriki

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:20 pm

She let them speak, clutching the staff tightly, and gave a deep sigh.

"And so it is, and so he has the name of his family, and the one of the spirits." She removes a pendant from her own neck and hands it over to Rauvin. "This bears the name that has been given him by the spirits. Only he and they will know the meaning... and by that name will the gods know him... "

She waits for Rauvin to put the necklace on Wolf, and with a nod to both, she again raises her hands skywards "And so shall it be... that this new life, is known to the world now, as WOLF! and so shall he be, until such time as he reaches manhood and earns a new name for his new position in his family, the tribe, and the world!"

The bogun and woses hoot and cheer, and she turns to face the silent guests. "You may now join in the feast.. " Then she gestures to the tables set with food and wine, and bows to each compass point, before walking past Rauvin and Ashe towards the north. "Celebrate and rejoice... the gods and spirits are pleased." she gives a smile as she passes.

Return to In Character Roleplaying