Death of an Assassin

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Death of an Assassin

Postby Failbhe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Magistrate Matson furrowed his brow as he listened to the investigating Watch Captain. He picked at the black robes, then smoothed them again with bejeweled fingers.

"It is understood that the hin victim, Milo Tosscobble, was in fact an assassin for hire. He had approached a number of tavern goers in various bars across the city." the captain gestured to the small collection of citizens seated behind him. "These are but a share of those who have been willing to come forward. Others have stated they would prefer to remain anonymous, but would come forward to speak in private if you so wish. They fear the reprisals of any guild the assassin, Milo, may have been associated with. Three of these are of our nobility. We also know he is the hin who stabbed the proprietor of the Angry Coxswain last year. It is unknown if this was a failed assassination attempt but it would not be out of line with what is known of the hin."

The captain then gestured toward Tahiri, "While, certainly guilty of killing the hin, this is also a justifiable one from everything I have been able to ascertain. Given her status as a member of the Gray Hands... " he leaves it sitting there.

The Magistrate leaned foward, "Be it known, you are in a zone of truth. What exactly were your intentions toward the victim?"
Makin - 6th lvl (Cleric of Amaunator 5 / Combat Medic 1)
Ogmios Vox - 1st lvl (Bard 1)
Fios-Khelek Heru (Grunt Ka Thunk) - 20th (Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 / Frostmage 4 / Arcane Trickster 10)
Failbhe

Re: Death of an Assassin

Postby Stam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:42 pm

"I asked him to come quietly to a Magistrate, sir," she responds calmly. "When he ran, I threw lightning. I'd hoped to fell him and then patch him back up with a pair of healing bracelets, then drag him the rest of the way."
Stam

Postby Failbhe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 pm

He frowned again, "You had not intention of slaying him then and no means of apprehending him without the use of as lethal force as casting lightning through a crowded tavern?" he laced his jeweled fingers together over his waist. "Lords above know, you could have killed any number of people. Gray Hands, when called upon are known for their excessive use of force but you are not given the authority to simply brandish your arcane powers."

"Justified Murder. Magical Assault. And Unlawful Hindrance of Business. You have done the city a service in this act of murder though by eliminating a wanted fugitive assassin." He sighed, chewing his lip. "For Magical Assault a fine of 1000 gold. For Hindrance of Business, a fine of 200 gold, payable to the Grinning Lion. As for the murder, you will work for the next three years, laboring for the city. This labor will be as a member of the Gray Hands, no pay to be given for your service. A repeat occurrence of such excessive force while not actively acting at the instruction of your commander will result in a sentence of death. I am taking your vows to the Gray Hands and your honest intentions for doing good for the betterment of the city into account with this decision. As such, I am handing you into the custody of your commander." He gestures toward a man seated in the back. "Enforcer Jardwin."

Jardwin rises. "I accept her Magistrate."

The magistrate addresses Tahiri again, "Are you accepting of this sentence?"
Fios-Khelek Heru (Grunt Ka Thunk) - 20th (Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 / Frostmage 4 / Arcane Trickster 10)
Failbhe

Postby Stam » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Tahiri is silent for a moment as she considers that.

"I'll pay the fines without hesitation," she finally says quietly. "About the rest, I will...may I have a few days to consider that?"
Stam

Postby Failbhe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 pm

"The alternative would be to do hard labor for those three years and be kept under lock and key during that time." he frowns, "I would need your answer before you leave today."
Failbhe

Postby Failbhe » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Tahiri is silent for a few more moments before speaking again. "I don't mind the sentence as much as the charge. Murder, your honor? I didn't intend to kill him, and my power isn't a wild beast. I've missed a target before, obviously, but never struck anyone else in the middle of a crowd. I killed him, sure enough, but that sort of thing hasn't happened often at all. The closest I've ever come ot that was in my trial as a Gray Hand...and I got the drop on the enemy."

"I can understand that. The man is dead. Call is murder or manslaughter; either carries the same sentences. Exile or Hard Labor." he says, stroking his robe once again.

"If you'll call it manslaughter, I'll take Hard Labor."

He nods, "Very well. I will not quibble over such. It is your life and honor that are at stake. Plus, I am loath to send one that the Gray Hands have chosen out of the city. It is far better to have you as an ally within the Gray Hands than either breaking rocks or outside our walls, possibly winding up working for factions opposed to the City."

"Good gracious, I wouldn't do that. I'd probably head back south. There's holding grudges, and then there's holding grudges. Thank you, sir. Next time I'll..." she frowns. "What would you prefer I do next time? Order another ale and write a report?"

"Use non-lethal force. Follow him." he shrugs, "I presume members of the Gray Hands have some means of bringing folks in alive when it is requested."

"Not really in my case, sir. I can hold my own in a bar brawl, but as far as being able to subdue someone, I've got all the wrong tools. Oh, well...I guess I'll just try my best. I'll be back shortly with the fine."

"If you would go with your commander for now then, we will be content with this." he nods to her and then to Jardwim. "She is in your custody Commander."
Failbhe

Return to In Character Roleplaying