A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am

Matron Mother Rose
    It's a fine afternoon at the waterfront. The usual skulkers tromp about or lurch about, depending on their level of inebriation. Occasional fishermen sit and repair nets on the docks, others ply their trade, whatever it might be, poor as it is. The Dock ward is unlovely, uncared for, but governed rather tightly by far more organized persons than the local Waterdeep Watch.
Matron Mother Rose
    The smell of rotted fish and the healthier tang of the sea join with horse dung and various humanoid urines on this section of the edge of town, far south, where darkness shadows the Waterdhavians even though the sun shines overhead.
Matron Mother Rose
    (( in maps: This section of the road is barely 10 feet wide, and contains an alley which has been blocked by trash, rubble, and other unpleasant sundries for some time. The locals dump their unwanted items here instead of taking it to outside of town or paying a fee to those who do. )
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Strolls back from work dumping a number of dead rats into the water.
Connor McCullen
    Connor walks the fetid street carefully, his runed black robe draging the ground. He just knows he's going to have to get it professionally cleaned, but remembers he's crawled out of worse than this... he hums a tune to himself as he mianders the streets.
Matron Mother Rose
    (Map key: Blue area: ocean, yeah its not missing water, i just didnt want to blue the WHOLE damned thing! Jars: rubble and junk: it is mostly 10x10x10 in size except for a small shoveled area around a beat up door. brown squares: doorways.)
Dalton
    Dalton marches along the small road still chomping his apple. Or what little is left of it.
Matron Mother Rose
    In this squalid dump, two unfortunate persons have a door from their separarte dwellings onto this alley; the door to the right is closed tightly. The other on the left, has an assortment of persons, though not neccesarily NICE persons. an assortment of men dressed in red and black armor in an assortment of races stand around a smaller, rickety old man in a (ratty) blue robe.
Matron Mother Rose
    They , for those near enough to note the occasionally raised discussion, appear to be having a particularly stimulating discussion on businesss matters....
Connor McCullen
    Connor attempt to nonchalantly walk to the corner and listen in on the conversation...
Connor McCullen
    [listen] - Dice Roll (1d20): 2 Total: 2
Connor McCullen
    ((nice))
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Finishes dumping the cargo and moves on.
Dalton
    Dalton continues on down as he seems to be nearing that runed robe again, but he dosen't say anything as there seems to be a small buzz he's trying to pick up on.
Connor McCullen
    [Connor tries to concentrate on the conversation the men are having while ignoring the sound of the crashing waves...] - Dice Roll (1d20): 13 Total: 13
Matron Mother Rose
    The speaker, which some hear, and some most certainly do not, is a half orc. His mohawk raises up from his spiked helmet, which coordinates nicely with his spiked banded mail and likewise his spiked shield. Ther'es a theme here. The others are assorted half orcs in similiar armor, except for the lone human, who wears the red and black robes of someone who think he's a magical badass.
Redskull Bonecrusher
    [Continues walking with little regard to others.] - Dice Roll (1d20): 8 Total: 8
Connor McCullen
    After a small but quick movement, the flames in his eyes change to a crystal blue color.....
Matron Mother Rose
    ((Another listen check please.)
Connor McCullen
    and he just watches the group of half orcs for a moment or two before the flames return to their normal ember color...
Connor McCullen
    [listen] - Dice Roll (1d20): 18 Total: 18
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Continues walking with barely a glance at the mob of what evers
Matron Mother Rose
    Redskull and Dalton can hear a low growl of rude-sounding conversation from the alley, the little old man hard to see with all the half-orcs surrounding him on both sides of the large junk barrier.
Matron Mother Rose
    Two of the half orcs turn around, all casual like, to check out what is happening behind them by the waters edge, and note the proximity of Dalton and Connor. One of them, who looks rather like a greeny faced (ugly) rock with tucks, he's so solid, pops his knuckles, and speaks in a growly, rather threatening voice. "Just business. And none of yours."
Matron Mother Rose
    (please roll target's modified level check (1d20 + chr lvl +wisdon Bonus + saves vs fear!)
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Redskull hears this exchange and decides to sit down on a nearby crate to watch the show with a slight smile.
Connor McCullen
    Connor just averts his gaze out to see and lights a pipe... waiting to see what happens... Thankful that the eye contact has stopped but still able to feel the half-orc's eyes on him...
Matron Mother Rose
    The old man whispers something to the big spiked leader, and that one grins, slowly, evilly. "Well then. Looks like you ain't such a good business man after all. Let's go. Clang, take Henri' and Morg and settle accounts." And with that, much of the gang jumps over the smaller portion of hte barrier, leaving the rock-twin Clang, the human in the robes and one other half orc in the alley.
Dalton
    'Course it's none o' my business' Dalton says with a forced smile. 'All my work is coin up front. Just looking at the ol' blue over here.' He's not quite ready to leave, though the greeny has made him weary about getting close.
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Sighs in disappointment
Matron Mother Rose
    Help! Cries the old man. Right before Morg steps forward to take a kick to his knee joints, felling him. The sound of two ancient bones snapping is clearly audible. The old man screams in pain and terror, and again when he snap-crackle-pops as he hits the cobblestones in front of his own doorstep.
Connor McCullen
    Connor's eyes blaze a crimson as he gets a maniacal smile on his face... he makes several gestures with quick practiced speed and summons power from the pits of hell themselves... [summon swarm spiders]
Redskull Bonecrusher
    Laughs loudly
Matron Mother Rose
    Oh? What sort of work do you do, oh man who is wisely minding his own business? The kind that keeps you sufficiently gainfully employed? Or you looking for... added income?
Matron Mother Rose
    (Roll inits please!)
Matron Mother Rose
    Posting order, keep track of your own HP and such! =>Connor Henri Redskull Dalton Half orcs:
Dalton
    'Not if it involves picking on the elderly' Dalton takes on a more displeased face that he's most pleased with wearing.
Matron Mother Rose
    (Restating also: Green guy is Henri. Red are half orcs, one of which is particularly rock-faced. Blue guy is the now-fractured old man.)
Matron Mother Rose
    Connor Henri' (Swarm/Bitten) Redskull Dalton (Pulling out bow and arrow this round) Clang (Swarm, bitten) Morg
Matron Mother Rose
    Henri, who rather thinks a lot of himself , apears shocked that Connor acted, he who otherwise didnt complain before. Outraged, he steps to the side several times before spitting out a draconic word, focusing hard to keep from losing his spell. (10' movement then cast)
Matron Mother Rose
    The draconic word settles like glue in Connor's mind, slowing him down considerably... slides off Connor's mind like butter on hot vegetables, and he is left untouched, and in control of his swarm....
Matron Mother Rose
    Connor Henri' (Swarm/Bitten) ==>Redskull Dalton (Pulling out bow and arrow this round) Clang (Swarm, bitten) Morg
Redskull Bonecrusher
    [Seeing that no one is about, Redskull decides to have a bit of fun himself, stands and sends a sicking blast at the human caster. (ranged touch)] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 3, +1 Total: 4
Connor McCullen
    ((looks shocked as there are 2 human casters here... ))
Matron Mother Rose
    Henri the human caster smiles as a half orc to one side adds nice distracting spellworks to the mix, and assumes Redskull is being helpful... Clang and Morg yell "BOOYAAA, Brother!!" cheering him on.
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [The last moment he changes his mind and scores a hit on the rubbish behind the gang caster (half of..)] - Dice Roll (1d6): 3 Total: 3
    Dalton
      'Connor this is none of our..!' He grumbles pulling out the bow, and an arrow as he mutters 'Need to stop meeting people..damned fools'
    Matron Mother Rose
      Henri's face falls as he realizes who Redskull was trying to hit... the half orcs yell in outrage this time, as they are betrayed!!!
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang roars again in anger, and being the more thinking sort of half orc, charges at Connor! who has pissed it off with little buggies! His great axe is ready for beheading Connor by the time he finishes his charge!
    Connor McCullen
      ((eep!))
    Matron Mother Rose
      The half orc laughs as his battle axe bites into Connor's flesh... rather deeply. Stiil,l, he leaves his guard rather open for someone to take a pot shot at him later.
    Dalton
      Dalton lets loose the arrow with what he felt was a good shot, though it barely misses. 'Damn....'
    Dalton
      Morg will live this round.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Morg might not live this round. There is a minor scuffle behind him and as he turns to see what the hell, the old broken man has managed to draw a wicked looking kopesh, and has hamstrung Morg, whose boot now gushes quite a lot of blood through the brand new slash in the leather.. "AAArghhh!! I HATE OLD PEOPLE!!"
    Connor McCullen
      Connor allows the spiders to dissipate as his eyes blaze into an inferno of hatred, he makes hasty movements with his hands, (similar to the prior ones he made) and suddenly Clang is surrounded by a swarm of bats...
    Connor McCullen
      [Bat bites!!!] - Dice Roll (1d6): 5 Total: 5
    Connor McCullen
      +1 bleeding
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang isn't a happy half orc. In fact, the stream of cursing at Connor is quite vehement and creative, for one of his kind. Henri on the other hand, frowns as no one at all is doing anything about Dalton. Dalton needs some luv too. Therefore, he fires off a ray of something particularly wicked at the poor scout.
    Matron Mother Rose
      The ray hits Dalton dead on, and in fact deadens certain nerves all over his body. Suddenly, he feels wobbly, and his limbs only somewhat respond to his commands....
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Redskull moves away from the swarming bats and launches another blast at the human... Henri' still] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 19, +1 Total: 20
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Grins at the damage done
    Dalton
      After taking a direct shot to his precious bread and butter agility Dalton turns his newly handicapped attention onto Henri hoping to repay the favor with a brand new arrow. In hopes of finding or creating a new opening he takes a short sprint down the road.
    Dalton
      But his newly hardly responsive body doesn't seem to know how to hold a bow straight.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang doesnt even seem to notice the bats, ignoring their bites and flutters, as he pretty much bull rushes Connor with a loud roar...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang is gleefully violent as he pushes Connor back, taking himself out of hte swarm mess, and generally loving to throw his weight around! (Map adusted for bull rush. )
    Matron Mother Rose
      Morg squeals like a little girl as something odd happens over there in the corner, somethign hidden....
    Connor McCullen
      Connor, his eyes bursting into eldritch black fire, raises his hand quickly and makes one quick gesture as his hand bursts to life with black eldritch fire of it's own, just before it's let loose into the ugly half-orc's face!
    Connor McCullen
      ((see if he likes dem apples!))
    Matron Mother Rose
      Henri'--laughs-- at Clang's distress. Nor is Dalton bothering him much, so his focus changes. Just laughs, and then draws a rapier, igniting it to full flame with a word and gesture. With an elegant motion he is ready for melee himself.. " To your guard, tusker!" he cries at.. Redskull? Yes. Redskull. Blade of Fire spell...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) Henri' (-8 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 ==>Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -9HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity) Life is sweet in the bully business. some are hurt, some are ineffective, Connor is troubled with Clang who has him a mere shove from a 10' drop over rocks and surging DEEP waves....
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Fires again at the human caster...] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 17, +1 Total: 18
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) a mere shove from a 10' drop over rocks and surging DEEP waves.... Henri' (-9 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 Redskull ==>Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -9HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity)
    Dalton
      'Worst day ever' He would sigh if he had the motor skills left. Instead he uses that energy to send an arrow at Clang.
    Dalton
      Though the hells seem to bar the way, and ready to collaps on the spot tripping over the laces his boots don't seem to have he manages to get that arrow head into Clang.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) a mere shove from a 10' drop over rocks and surging DEEP waves.... Henri' (-9 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) =>Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity)
    Connor McCullen
      ((prays))
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang, who seems to be a LOT tougher than the average half orc, who seems to be in fact not really noticing so much the repeated attempts to bite, flap, shoot, or poof him into oblivion, BULL RUSHES AGAIN to poor Connor, who is but a 5' drop into.. etc. etc.
    Connor McCullen
      [Being so close to the smelly ugly stupid half orc, Connor slips a sickle from the folds of his robe and attempts to strike the over muscled buffoon where it hurts... he grabs his sickle with both hands and in a swift upward motion, aims for his groin... (to hit)] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 16, +2 Total: 18
    Matron Mother Rose
      [Nasty, nasty. That sickle digs in and Clang goes SOPRANOOOOOO in his girly scream. And throws his weight into the attack to bullrush Connor right off the dock into the rocks and surf 10' below.... (Str roll!)] - Dice Roll (1d20+4): 4, +4 Total: 8
    Matron Mother Rose
      (yeah, that's totally a girly bull rush...)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Ok, so it wasnt a manly push. Still, Connor can't match the sheer muscle of Clang, who pushes him to the very very teetering edge of the streeet, no railing-- but he's not in the water yet!! HE CAN STILL MAKE IT! (Or not.)
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Dex check Connor and ROLL HIGH!)
    Matron Mother Rose
      (OR reflex save whichever you like)
    Connor McCullen
      [Connor deftly holding onto the handle of his sickle decides to give it a little twist as a warning, his own form of intimidation... (dex check)] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 11, +2 Total: 13
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor attempts to roll sideways to save his ass and DOESN"T fall in teh water!! But the rolling, now... that gives the half orc (Angry one this, now..) a chance to clobber him again. Sideways? Also sorta.... sorta... keeps him still on the edge.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang Swings with his battle axe.. and hopefully wont overbalance himself into the water as well!
    Connor McCullen
      Connors roll is just far enough to grant him the zinging sound as the blade passes mercifully by without impact....
    Matron Mother Rose
      Dalton, having only rolled sideways on the edge, which still kept him uh on the edge.. slips this time and ....
    Matron Mother Rose
      falls...
    Connor McCullen
      Connor...falls...
    Connor McCullen
      *SPLASH!!!*
    Matron Mother Rose
      SPLASH! Moving on... Morg bursts into FLAMES!! and the old broken man laughs.. and.. readies ANOTHER SPELL! =>Connor(-6HP) a mere shove from a 10' drop over rocks and surging DEEP waves.... Henri' (-9 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Matron Mother Rose
      The surf is harsh , what with the rocks and such. The waves suck at Connor and his gear, swirl and make swimming diffcult. (Roll Swim)
    Connor McCullen
      [just keep swimming, just keep swimming] - Dice Roll (1d20-1): 7, -1 Total: 6
    Connor McCullen
      Ack!!! Connor's head dissapears below the surface as his attemptsto stay above water fail...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) underwater... ==>Henri' (-9 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Well. With Clang having taken care of Connor, Henri moves with his flaming blade, but finds he is much more wounded than he thinks. Or...
    Matron Mother Rose
      No, he doesnt' puke his guts out, unfortunately, as he moves towards Redskull! Attack!
    Matron Mother Rose
      Or.. NOT!! (Whiffle) Connor(-6HP) underwater... Henri' (-9 HP,Bitten) Blades fo Fire round 1 ==>Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Laughs and sends another bolt back at him] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 20, +1 Total: 21
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Laughs and sends another bolt back at him (for crit)] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 6, +1 Total: 7
    Matron Mother Rose
      Henri's flaming sword drops to the ground, out of lifeless hands.... (DED!) Connor(-6HP) underwater... Redskull ==>Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed!) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      disapointedly shakes his head and looks for next target...
    Dalton
      Quite amazed by the work of Redskull 'I think the last one's yours, Gent' Dalton drops his bow and takes a dive into the water. The swarch for Connor begins!
    Matron Mother Rose
      (the water is cold, and it swirls around connor and dalton, threatening to bash them against the rocks. Dalton to the rescue! The water is... 7 feet deep...as it SUCKS Dalton down too!)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) underwater round 1... Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 1) ==>Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang opens his mouth to ROAR at Redskull,, but what comes out of his mouth is a girly kitty whimper, as he has a 'sickle in his sack' (as per Connor!). Instead he charges Redskull... as verbal threats dont seem to work!
    Matron Mother Rose
      ==>Connor(-6HP) underwater round 1... Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 1) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and IN FLAMES)
    Connor McCullen
      [Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!] - Dice Roll (1d20-1): 6, -1 Total: 5
    Matron Mother Rose
      Morg runs screaming for teh water's edge, as he is ON FIRE! he LEAPS out into the water.... and is instantly under the surface.
    Connor McCullen
      *bubbles pop as they reach the surface no more than 2 feet above...
    Connor McCullen
      so he just lands on the bottom and jumps, quickly taking a breath...
    Connor McCullen
      and sinking again...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) underwater round 1... ==>Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 1) Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and UNDERWATER)
    (Note: at this point, Dalton informs MMR that he has 50 feet of silk rope in his backpack... oh darn! Whoooops!)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Grins at the pushy half-orc, "Is that all you got?" and lets fly with another sicking blast (ranged touch attack again, then switches to defensive stance)] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 8, +1 Total: 9
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Note you underwater guys, Morg is now in the water near the two swimmers drowners. Water is 7 feet deep and swirlingly troublesome!DC 15 to swim!)
    Dalton
      bubbles
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang SHOVES at Redskull, hoping to go 3 for 3.... *BULLRUSH!*
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [club the fool (defensive)] - Dice Roll (1d20-3): 20, -3 Total: 17
    Matron Mother Rose
      (That is the 5th I think 20 rolled tonight!!)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Its really really hard to put a half orcs weight behind a torn ballsack. Clang cries while he tries to shove redskull into the murky water. And... totally blows it.
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Wuss
    Connor McCullen
      gurgling from the water... "You're welcome!"
    Connor McCullen
      [Tries to swim...] - Dice Roll (1d20-1): 6, -1 Total: 5
    Connor McCullen
      eh pulls another hit the bottom and jump for air maneuver...
    Connor McCullen
      ((Starts to wonder where the damn ladder is))
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor LEAPS ok not leaps but manages to get his face up above the water long enough to take a desperately needed gulp of air.... before sinking below the water surface again.
    Connor McCullen
      [at least this method keeps me from drowning... while I look for a way out... Spot check...] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 19, +2 Total: 21
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor sees, as he leaps up Morg, toasted and soggy, ten feet away from you in the water and another flailing, human hand probably attached to antoher drowning person. There are many rocks in teh water too and if you aren't careful you wil be dashed against them.
    Matron Mother Rose
      The water goes right up against the rock wall under the docks, but there are the dock supports to hold onto, and a bit of rope off one that might be ok to use to pull yourself up. Otherwise you have around a 30-40" swim to the nearest ramp out of the water...
    Matron Mother Rose
      The water goes right up against the rock wall under the docks, but there are the dock supports to hold onto, and a bit of rope off one that might be ok to use to pull yourself up. Otherwise you have around a 30-40" swim to the nearest ramp out of the water...
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      [Goes for it (dropping defensive) and swings the club for all he is worth...] - Dice Roll (1d20+1): 5, +1 Total: 6
    Matron Mother Rose
      (he's not worth much, is he?)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      (hand grenade into the peanut gallery...)
    Connor McCullen
      ((boom))
    Varimar the Howler
      Varimar was walking calmly along the docks, holding a wooden tankard in his right hand. He spotted some scuffing up ahead.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Under the water, bad, bad things happen. And is anyone... bleeding? into the water?? With the.. fishies? Connor(-6HP) underwater round 1 (nee 3)... Redskull Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 2) ==>Clang (bitten2x, in contact with connor still, -12HP, bleeding wound.) Morg (Hamstrung, -dignity and UNDERWATER
    Dalton
      Dalton, forgetting what swimming was, tries to play hopscotch under the water.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Clang, who previously was so damned tough, frowns at Redskull, who has branched into two different men. The sky is beautiful today, as his bleeding wound finally catches up to him ... he slides to the dock surface as he passes out from blood loss...
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      And with a grin, the club politely crushes his skull.
    Matron Mother Rose
      *quitely dies*
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Chum in the water and I don't have a pole, damn the luck
    Varimar the Howler
      He watched the body bob in and out of the water, wondering if it was Conner. "Do I recognize that fellow?"
    Matron Mother Rose
      ==>Connor(-6HP) underwater round 2 (nee 4)... Redskull -11 hp Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 3) Morg (ded and underwater, sinking) Valimar (fresh, but not too swift!)
    Connor McCullen
      [Connor does his bob to the bottom jump maneuver since it's lots easier than actually swimming to one of the dock supports and tries to get to the rope he saw dangling from the dock. He knows he's bleeding and he needs to get out of the water asap! (funky jump/swim maneuver...)] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 16, +2 Total: 18
    Connor McCullen
      ((victory bubbles!!!)
    Matron Mother Rose
      Over by the alley, the litle ole broken man pulls out a hip flask and chugs it... Screw everyone else.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor makes the surface again, this time making headway as well towards the dock support. if he can keep that up.... Connor(-6HP) above water (swimming for 4)... ==>Redskull -11 hp Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Underwater! Round 3) Morg (ded and underwater, sinking) Valimar (fresh, but not too swift!)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Moves over to the old man...
    Varimar the Howler
      (Old man is number 4 I take it) Varimar strolls acsually along. Stopping near Conner to see if it was really him after all.
    Matron Mother Rose
      the old man is miraculously healed from the rather strong potion he took, though well covered with blood and as redskull can see the inside of his home now with the door open, it is rather nicely appointed, very comfortable and not shabby at all. The man spits at the half orc and sneers. "You tuskers. all alike! You want some of me?? do you?? Punk??!?"
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Raises an eyebrow, "Saved your butt"
    Matron Mother Rose
      Did not!! I coulda taken them all--well... maybe you DID help, just a little. The old man stands, straightens, and pouts at Redskull, not too eager to offer funds to hsi rescuer.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor makes the surface again, this time making headway as well towards the dock support. if he can keep that up.... meanwhile, Dalton bobs up and relentlessly attempts to make for safety as well... Connor(-6HP) above water (swimming for 4)... Redskull -11 hp Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Above water! Round 1) Morg (ded and underwater, sinking) Valimar (fresh, but not too swift!)
    Varimar the Howler
      [spot check] - Dice Roll (1d20): 1 Total: 1
    Matron Mother Rose
      (you see no fins in the water.)
    Varimar the Howler
      He grabs a rope from a nearby post, and ties it to his own waist.
    Varimar the Howler
      He then reeaches down and tries to pull Conner towards some sort of sake location, without getting in the lake himself.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Valimar spends some seconds getting rope and tying it to his own waist.
    Matron Mother Rose
      (each round is 6 seconds. That's all he gets to do in one round.
    Connor McCullen
      [Connor once again does his funky jump/swim thing to gain a better advantage to get the hell out of the water...] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 9, +2 Total: 11
    Connor McCullen
      *bloop* under he goes again...
    Varimar the Howler
      [popeye the sailor knot] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 11, +2 Total: 13
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) underwater round1 (swimming for 4)... ==>Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Above water! Round 1) Valimar (Safely knotted he THINKS.)
    Matron Mother Rose
      The rope is 20 feet long, with varimar tied to one end. Dalton makes the edge of the ramp.... Connor is right by a post but has sunk under the surface again.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) underwater round 1 (swimming for 5 or so)... Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Above water! at ramp) ==>Valimar (Safely knotted he THINKS.)
    Dalton
      'Damn..stupid...me..' Dalton says as he reaches the ramp out.
    Varimar the Howler
      Varimar reaches down, trying not to get his ahircut wet, as he tries to drag Conner to the ramp by dragging his hand.
    Matron Mother Rose
      (And btw has i have posted, the drop from dock to water is 10 feet deep, valimar. He will need something to reach down to Connor!!!)
    Varimar the Howler
      [spotter] - Dice Roll (1d20): 6 Total: 6
    Varimar the Howler
      Varimar uses the rope, like a hook, to try and fish Conner out of the lake, wonering just what had fucked him up in there, and not eager to get wet to find out.
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Roll use rope again. This is a higher check than the last.DC 15)
    Varimar the Howler
      [rope a dope] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 1, +2 Total: 3
    Varimar the Howler
      Damned Umberlee...
    Matron Mother Rose
      ==>Connor(-6HP) so screwed round 2(swimming for 5 or so)... Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Above water! at ramp) Valimar (Safely knotted he THINKS.)
    Connor McCullen
      [Connor does his bounce float thing to get another breath and try and stay above water this time by holding onto the pillar...] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 10, +2 Total: 12
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Picks up the battle axe so recently used against him and heads over waters edge and looks to see what is taking so damn long
    Connor McCullen
      ((what the hell... I may as well head for the ramp... ))
    Connor McCullen
      In gurgle gurgle, "need of so" gurgle gurgle, "assistance!!!" Connor manages to yell before he goes under again...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor(-6HP) so screwed round 2(swimming for 6 or so).. ==>Dalton (AC 10 un-dexed! Above water! at ramp) Valimar (Safely knotted he THINKS.)
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Heaves a large and empty crate over the side to the drowning fool.
    Dalton
      Dalton gets out of the water removing the 50 ft silk rope from his belt. 'Tie something heavy to the other end of this. Use that axe if you have to.'
    Connor McCullen
      [He instantly makes a mad leap from the pillar to the floating crate in the water now...] - Dice Roll (1d20): 20 Total: 20
    Matron Mother Rose
      Varimar is also tied to a post, via most of a 20 foot rope. Chill connor and save that leap.
    Redskull Bonecrusher
      Looks at the gash from the axe, "Got to get this looked at. See you."
    Matron Mother Rose
      Things happen too quickly to follow, but then Connor is flopped onto the floating crate, which then is forced underwater and sinks rapidly. So does Connor....
    Dalton
      'Until next time, Gent' Dalton waves exhausted.
    Varimar the Howler
      What in Umberlee... He watched as Conner sank.
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Note: Connor is sinking back under the water on the sinking crate. Dalton is trying to organize Varimar to a more productive method of rescue, then ties the rope himself. Varimar... is what?)
    Connor McCullen
      Connor, underwater, again, makes a quick gesture and blasts a hole in the crate... making it sink to the bottom with him on top of it... he then carefully stands up on the damn crate and breathes a sigh of relief...
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor's face appears out fo the water ,but he is in seriosu danger of being washed right off his precarious footing....
    Matron Mother Rose
      as the waves BUFFET....
    Varimar the Howler
      Varimar jumps in the water, sighing a she does so. He grabs Conner like his wife. "Damnit Conny."
    Matron Mother Rose
      (ZOMG. He WHATS to connor?? Where does he grab him???!??)
    Connor McCullen
      Connor suddenly being grabbed doesn't know what to think... but he knows he's not Conny... "What the hell" he says before being knocked off his perch and back under water...
    Varimar the Howler
      (Around the waist.)
    Varimar the Howler
      Climb up the rope you dim witted sea crab.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Conny is buffetted by waves and DAMNED WELL FINDS THE BLOODY ROPE! though Valimar misses um grabbing him. Around the waist.
    Connor McCullen
      [shit... climb checks now.... he attempts to climb out of the water] - Dice Roll (1d20): 7 Total: 7
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Roll Swim to stay above water, Varimar!)
    Varimar the Howler
      [Varimar vomits a bit in the sea.] - Dice Roll (1d20): 7 Total: 7
    Matron Mother Rose
      varimar and Connor both.. sink.
    Dalton
      Shaking his head Dalton decides not to go with his plan and replaces the rope on his belt. He will then go for his discarded short bow.
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Yeah just shoot them, be merciful already!)
    Connor McCullen
      [((getting tired of water in a serious way Connor takes a deep breath and attempts the rope one more time before making for the ramp that popped into existence so he could see where it was... lol)) Climb] - Dice Roll (1d20): 15 Total: 15
    Matron Mother Rose
      FINALLY COnnor grabs onto the rope, which probably doesnt do wondrous things for Varimar's attempts at not drowning, but that's survival of the fittest for you. His weight straightens the rope and he begins to climb it as best he can. (Dalton!)
    Dalton
      Dalton collects his things. Getting his bow back now he's going to go assist Connor in getting out. (Giving him a +2 if allowed)
    Connor McCullen
      [Continues climbing as he's getting out of the water... glad to be making some progress...] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 2, +2 Total: 4
    Varimar the Howler
      Varimar was just chilling for now, lot letting being submerged spook him.
    Connor McCullen
      [((steps on Varimar's head and grabs Dalton's hand to get onto the dock... ))] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 13, +2 Total: 15
    Matron Mother Rose
      (Varimar, youare in round 2 of being underfuckingwater. Roll swim!
    Matron Mother Rose
      Varimar;s body sinks much deeper in the water as Connor stomps on his head , but manages to ascend the rope enough to reach for Dalton's hand.
    Connor McCullen
      Once he's on the dock, he grabs the rope and pulls with all his might...
    Varimar the Howler
      [Laps] - Dice Roll (1d20): 8 Total: 8
    Connor McCullen
      [Str chk] - Dice Roll (1d20): 20 Total: 20
    Varimar the Howler
      He was under water still, rustling around.
    Dalton
      'Sure wish you had that horse now, Connor' He grumbled.
    Matron Mother Rose
      varimar is one lucky ass dude.... *LOL* as he is HAULED out of the water, the feel of PRECIOUS LAND under Connor's feet giving him great strength! Varimar is easily hauled up. And the fins have only just arrived where the three men were, finding tasty bits of roasted half orc to eat instead of Connor, Varimar or Dalton....
    Matron Mother Rose
      On the dock, there is no sign of the old man, or Redskull. Two bodies remain, those of Clang and Henri'.
    Dalton
      'I'm going to go pay for a nice hot bath at the Yawning Portal, and pass out.' He walks over to the two dead bodies. 'Let's see what these gentlemen have before the watch does first, though'
    Connor McCullen
      [Connor stands over the crushed and bloody body of Clang...he searches the body to see what he can find and then with a smug look on his face, unleashes a couple of eldritch blasts into his already rotting corpse.. "Damn tusker!" he grumbles as he vents his frustration on the dead half-orc... (search)] - Dice Roll (1d20): 2 Total: 2
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor definitely doenst find anything on the tusker but broken banded mail, and a sickle between the legs (No ballsack though.)
    Connor McCullen
      he of course reclaims his MW sickle from the dead body prior to unleashing hell on it...
    Varimar the Howler
      [He yawned and stood up, he looked to the bodies and then to Conner. He dicided to search as well, as soaking wet as he was.] - Dice Roll (1d20+2): 11, +2 Total: 13
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor mutilates the body of the dead orc further, a terrifying sight (oh, and he drips on it too) Dalton carefully picks over Henri's form....
    Varimar the Howler
      I saved your ass from Umberlee, I want a little coin for my sacrafice. He said as he had his hands in dead body pockets.
    Matron Mother Rose
      Varimar inspects the mangled half orc body and finds that he wore banded mail, now badly damaged, and had silk underpants on. But no coinpurse, nor any weapon around him.
    Dalton
      Dalton rips a pouch off, and tosses it at Varimar. 'There's your coin, Pirate.' He picks up the rapier for better examination.
    Matron Mother Rose
      There is also a small token, a wooden coin with a circle of black paint on it, on both Henri and Clang.
    Dalton
      'It's not master quality, but It'll make a fine enough trophy for my mantle.'
    Dalton
      He picks up the token too. 'This might come in handy.'
    Varimar the Howler
      He begins to strip the felow of his gear, smiling as he does so with a golden tooth grin. "This'll fetch some coin."
    Connor McCullen
      Connor done with his frustrations, takes a deep breathe of air and sighs. Exhausted from the ordeal...
    Connor McCullen
      Connor asks everyone else, "Are you all okay?"
    Varimar the Howler
      Just a little wet.
    Dalton
      'Didn't even take a wound' Dalton says as he continues to look over the girly sword. 'Two of you can keep the coin. I'm going to see what I can find out about this gang.'
    Matron Mother Rose
      (ok, thank you for playing!! You had some SHITTY rolls against you guys! Good work surviving the dice rolls of doom! And good playing all!)
    Connor McCullen
      Connor offers a weak smile as he accepts his share of the coin, and decides that a good rest would be warranted. He offers a salute to the fellow men and bids them farewell. "Gentleman, I'm going to retire for the night. Goodnight to you and may the gods watch over you."
    Matron Mother Rose
      Connor dreams of fish. Lots and lots and lots of fish.
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 am

    Thanks to all who played!! This was the most hilarious scene i have ever been seen in my life!

    Lessons learned:
    1. Crime doesn't always pay. Looting the legitimately acquired bodies before anyone else can get to them pays very very well actually.
    2. Some half orcs are not your friend.
    3. Some half orcs who are not your friend are also not friends to other half orcs who are not your friend. That said, he's still not YOUR friend, either.
    4. If you want to move off a 10' drop of an edge over churning waves and rocks, don't drop and rol sideways without ALSO stating that you are TUMBLING.
    5. Dropping to the ground and rolling sideways on the bare edge of a ledge over churning waves and rocks while stating you are trying to get away from a half orc (Who REALLY is not your friend) doesn't actually take you OFFF the ledge-- unless you roll also AWAY from the edge!
    6. 50' of silk rope only works for water rescues if you DON'T take it in swimming WITH YOU! Otherwise... it makes excellent ballast! ANd drowns you faster!
    7. If you wander by, and you see a half-orc (Who isnt' your friend either) looting bodies and basically not being helpful while i guy you might know is maybe drowning and then yells for help.... its not a good time to discuss prior relationships and the nature of friendship.
    8. Twice.
    9. If you need to rescue someone in the water, and you have 20 bloody feet of rope tied to a pier you just happen to find.... bloody toss the free end to the drowning man!
    10. Try to refrain from tying it to yourself first. in case you fall in teh water. Its faster and keeps you from being lampooned in forums.
    11. And then don't jump in the water after him, just untie the rope from your waist and give it to the poor soggy sod.
    12. If the half orc who is not your friend and who is not trying to actively kill you tosses you a half-broken wooden crate, do not assume that it is a rubber ducky of a floaty device. It isn't. You have just been pwned by a half orc (Who is not your friend). Even if the half orc thinks he did a good deed. Half orc good deeds are not good deeds to those who are not their friend. Which you aren't. So stop dreaming.
    13. If your buddy whom you have tried to save from drowning by jumping in many many feet away from him to nearly drown yourself, is still in the water when you emerge finally, do not pull your short bow out. Shooting him will not erase your humiliation.
    14. If you decide to save said still-drowning friend man by tying a battle-axe to the silk rope and throwning it at your still drowning friend man to use as a floatation device... don't be surprised if you cut off some vital piece of him. LIke.. his head. Which actually might float, but will not ultimately help your cause and can be detrimental to your friendship.
    15. If you, your buddy and a bloody roasted ded half orc (Who really isn;t anyone's friend anymore) are adding to the blood in the water, and its in an ocean where fishies with pointed teeth are, assume the DM can't pass up the chance to mess with you more, no matter how in trouble you already are. Dude, that was irresistible!
    16. If you choose to take an action WITH someone, like saving him with a rope or looting bodies or other things, always consider the value of ASSISTING the other person-- gives a +2 bonus to his actions rather than say... both of you looting the same body separately. Sometimes its a better idea nd sometimes not, but consider assisting! if nothing else, might get that guy (Who isn't a half orc and MIGHT be your friend one day!) to save your ass someday down the road. Efficiently.

    17. As much as you all get teased by the DM, serious kudos to all, it was truly awesome, from snarky comments to jokes to amazingly terrible and then amazingly great rolls, to brilliant plans which only went awry from bad rolls, and just generally had me in hysterics from the point when Dalton jumped in the water-- with the entirety of his rope.... onwards.

    THANK YOU ALL!
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 am

    XP has been awarded to all in the scene.

    Redskull has obtained… first pick of the loot. Because he has ‘friendly’ issues. See previous discussions of scene’s half orc population.

    Dalton has obtained a finely adorned and embellished rapier, one more for style than function. It is not a weapon of a master, but rather one who thinks he is. He also has a wooden token with a black painted circle on one side.

    Connor and Varimar have removed the damaged banded mail from Clang the gelded half orc (Who wasn’t ANYONE’s friend!) and his very shredded silk undies. This was not a pretty experience. The undies, once removed, will not be accepted by any vendor, no way, no how. Nasty! They also have a Henri’s coinpurse which contain:

    122 copper coins.
    50 silver coins.
    1 tortoiseshell hair comb
    A bracelet of carved ivory, somewhat worn.
    1 men’s copper ring
    A wooden token with a black painted circle on one side.

    Please let me know what you want to do next!
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 pm

    Connor would wish to split the loot evenly, but knowing the pirate, would accept half the silver and the ring...

    If not agreed to, Connor would suggest the comb instead of the ring...
    Guest
     

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Bob » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:20 pm

    bob

    Dice Validated

    Sat, 08:07:00 PM
    To Fiendish Xairren, bob: [Jac Edwards tries to use his job as a Waterdeep City Watchmen to find information about the black wooden coin Connor gave him.

    5 gp used for a +2 bonus to the roll

    Gather Information] - Dice Roll (1d20+3): 19, +3 Total: 22

    ---

    Cha mod: -1

    Bonus from Working for the Waterdeep City Watch when Gathering information involving criminals: +2 {Reference link}

    Bonus from use of "Gather Information: Bribe Money (New)": +2 {Reference link}

    Total Gather Information mod: +3
    Bob
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:24 pm

    (Moving right along!)

    Dalton has obtained an embellished rapier, one more for style than function. He is keeping it. When he has time, he has it valued, which is on his chr sheet now. He also has a wooden token with a black painted circle on one side. Please see Rosemadder for details if information is sought about the token.

    Connor and Varimar have removed the damaged banded mail from Clang the gelded half orc (Who wasn’t ANYONE’s friend!) and his very shredded silk undies. This was not a pretty experience. The undies, once removed, will not be accepted by any vendor, no way, no how. Nasty! They also have a Henri’s coinpurse which contain:

    The ring and the damaged banded mail, the comb have been sold and the money distributed. The bracelet has been given to Connor, since Varimar found an unlucky symbol for sailors on it and won't have anything to do with it. Connor's sheet lists the bracelet.




    Jac hears things. The token he is shown triggers a memory, something about a woman he heard talking about some special tavern whose clientele, if one wishes to use that word with these dock rats, can't just walk in the door. They need to show something to the bouncer to get in, and he remembers the Tavern's name has something to do with the word "Black".
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Bob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:43 pm

    Jac has asked Connor to meet with himself, and his supervisor at the watch guard house he works at so Connor can explain in full what he saw, and how he came about this black wooden coin.

    Connor said he would speak to Jac's supervisor.

    Jac can make preliminary report to hsi supervisor about the black wooden coin, the taverns with the word 'Black' in their titles he intends to check out, and the fact he will going undercover for case. Jac can also request additional resources for his case in this report as well.

    Resources ... whatever they can get ... gear that is concealable... escape items like smoke sticks... Jac hopes for good costumes and professional watch hired dressers to make them blend into the dock-rats crowd ... and a waiting team of watch guards to help if things turns sour. but mostly whatever they can get.
    Last edited by Bob on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Bob
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:51 pm

    Once he has his meeting with Jac's supervisor, Connor recounts the happenings on the dock that day. He describes the half-orc gang, their leader, the human caster, and their actions towards the elderly man. He also informs the supervisor of the partial conversation that he overheard prior to being attacked. He recounts the fight as best he can and leaves out his desperate swimming episode to save his pride.

    Without anything further, he also informs Jac's supervisor on what he knows about the murder at the sea ward....
    Guest
     

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Bob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:40 pm

    Jac also explains to his supervisor, that when Connor speaks about the Sea Ward ... Connor speaks of the about the body found at the sewers recently. [aka June's scene found here on the forum]
    Bob
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 am

    The supervisor isn't an idiot. He taps his foot at Connor and demands to know... what exactly he is hiding....
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:43 am

    (note, will not be running this as a solo scene. 3-4 players is about the right size, looking for levels 3-5 only.)

    The supervisor shakes his head at Jac. "Sorry Jack. The Raventree case has priority over shit that goes down in the Docks. The resources you requested are not available now, not based on some "Black" tavern which might or might not exist. Get evidence first that justifies having a city-paid Watch backup, and we will talk about requisitioning resources then. Oh, and don't get killed. Unless you got resurrection insurance."
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Bob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:59 am

    Jac nods but sighes at his own failure to get additional help from his boss, but understands what his supervisor's words and gives a salute with respect to his boss.

    "I will not die. That would a be smear against on the good name of the Waterdeep City Watch, SIR!"

    ---

    Jac Edwards is level 4
    Bob
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Rosemadder » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:12 pm

    "Oh, not so much a smear, as I hate having to interview new Watch applicants. Also, we tend to lose a lot of gear that way, and it takes cold hard gold to replace. So come back alive, with all your city-issued gear."

    Jac is waved away and onto his duty.
    User avatar
    Rosemadder
     
    Posts: 1170
    Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Bob » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 pm

    Jac just respectfully nods and salutes his supervisor. Then heads on out of the supervisor's office.

    ---

    Jac starts leaving postings ... "Looking for abled folks to help deal with criminals" along with details of how to contact him, and he asks interested folks to send their contact information to him in those postings.

    Jac leaves these postings where locals of the docks will most likely not see them.

    The temples ... but not the "The Queenspire", "The House of Heroes", or "The House of Inspired Hand".

    As well postings are left at the Kallo'rond tavern and inn.

    ---

    Jac also post around the Watch guardhouses. Jac denotes this work is not for the Watch on the offical basis. Jac denotes the file-number of his preliminary report and where his report is filed in the archives.
    Bob
     
    Posts: 199
    Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:40 pm

    Re: A Fine Afternoon at the Waterfront

    Postby Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:06 pm

    Rose, just fyi... Connor is lvl 2... so unless you wanna use him as strictly a support character for this scene, we'd need to adjust the level of it... Oh, and to Jac's supervisor's foot-tapping demand for more information:


    Connor waits until Jac is finished with his supervisor to respond. He politely says, 'Those employed by the nobles don't lie ... for that would put shame upon our noble blooded masters and mistresses.' When he says it, he's looking Jac's supervisor dead in the eyes and giving no quarter about his statement. He stands proud and tall, confident in his statement that he provided to the watch.
    Guest
     


    Return to In Character Roleplaying

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

    cron