June's Halloween Adventure

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

June's Halloween Adventure

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:42 am

It was nearing dusk by the time the group arrived at their destination, a dark and foreboding castle long thought abandoned. Their employer had acquired ownership of it -- or so he claimed -- and wanted them to make sure nothing had taken up residence. Along the way to the castle they had heard rumors about the place. Screams were heard coming from the place when the weather was right. Some claimed the place was haunted. Others believed it was cursed. All of the tales agreed that nothing was living in the place. But not all things in this realm were truly living.

The very hilltop seemed to discourage visitors. A small wood circled the hill. And the woods themselves were darker than normal, or at least it felt like it. The wind didn't seem to touch this area, leaving everything to rot in its place. The local animal life seemed menacing. Even the spider webs seemed darker than normal, as if colored with the stain of dried blood.

The castle itself was nothing grand. A small keep with a pair of towers stood overlooking the countryside. A drawbridge over an empty mote was the only apparent entrance. A pair of graveyards to either side of the drawbridge gave the group pause. Those were expansive grave sites. The smell of death hung over the place like an open tomb.

But overall the sounds were the most unnerving part. The constant wailing of souls in trapped in torment never stopped. Circling the place did nothing to reveal where they were coming from or why. The screams could have been coming from the ground itself for all they could tell.

Not wishing to go inside at this hour, the group set up camp outside. Resting near a cemetery was preferable to exploring a haunted castle at night. They didn't bother setting up an elaborate camp. If they needed to move quickly, they wouldn't be leaving much behind. And there was no way to be comfortable in this cursed place.

Erick, the leader of the bunch, went about setting up as many traps and snares as he could while the holier folks did their part to ward against any evils in the area. The fires they set up didn't seem quite enough, so he went off to the woods to gather more firewood. At the same time he set up some snares along the treeline.

Perhaps he strayed too far. Perhaps distance was just warped in this place. Whatever it was, when the rest of the group encountered something, he was too far to see it. He heard their screams and ran as fast as he could. But they were cut off before he arrived. When he did finally get back to camp, it was a scene straight from his worst nightmares.

Most of the group was just gone. There had obviously been a fight, but there was only one body left. And in truth he wished he hadn't seen it. His friend for the last 3 years, a trusted traveling companion was lying there on the ground. His body was broken, limbs bent in ways that bones shouldn't allow. But the worst part was his face...or lack of one. Where his face should have been, there was nothing but a blank surface. Where eyes, nose, mouth, even bone structure should have been, instead was purely blank flesh as if no face had ever existed.

Scared, his sanity slipping, Erick grabbed his friend's belongings (including the map out of this awful place) and ran. He ran through the woods. He ran through a mob of rats, by rabid other furry creatures, rushed through the bleeding webs. Some things bit at him or clawed at him but he kept running. The creatures of this night would not keep him here any longer if his legs had any say in the matter.

He ran down the hill and finally, by morning was able to see the beautiful glowing orb of light starting to peak over the eastern horizon. He continued his journey back to civilization. Back to Waterdeep. And he would never go back to the dreaded castle on the hill.

Antiny, Tanya, and Rauvin were all gathered in the Heroes Garden. They were talking about nothing of real consequence when a man stepped out from the trees. Erick shared with them some of the details of his plight. No words could fully describe the horrors he heard and felt, but it was enough to let them know the dangers anyway. Rauvin offered to help if needed. Antiny was quick to volunteer for this quest. Tanya listened and pondered. After Rauvin left another local -- Brie -- joined the group.

But before they could discuss too many details, the group was attacked by a cloaker. Apparently the gear that had been left by Erick's fallen companion wasn't packed up in the man's cloak, but in something that could easily be mistaken for such by a person in a hurry.

The group was able to put the cloaker out of everyone's misery before it could kill the messenger. But its presence only added to the feeling of dread coming from that place...

What you have in the leftover bundle to divide up is the following:

- map (no monetary value)
- mostly eaten iron rations. (So that's how the cloaker survived being used as a sack for days...)
- set of MW lockpicks (50gp)
- 3 green vials of a minty smelling clear liquid (CLW potions) (25gp each)
- darkened steel dagger with silver coin at the base of the hilt and shamrocks engraved into the blade (MW dagger, 151gp)
- very fine gold chain necklace (75gp)
- leather pouch of coins (300gp total)

Total haul is 801gp, so 267gp per person if everything's sold. Let me know what people want. Prices are listed in resale value.

The pcs are obviously free. Anyone wishing to follow up on this is welcome. I plan on running the follow up to this on Friday Oct 8th at 6:30pm chat time. Characters wanting in on this should talk to Antiny, Tanya, Brie, or Rauvin. :twisted:

I hope everyone had fun.
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
JuneBarcarolle

Re: June's Halloween Adventure

Postby Lifeinwinter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:42 am

Antiny is generally pretty passive about shared items, so if anyone has a better use for any of these items let me know.

The map, of course, to find the way.

Ad he'll grab the fancy dagger to replace his common one.

Subtract that from his share and he'll take the few left over coins.

--Winter.
Lifeinwinter

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 am

I'm interested in bringing my beloved paladin. Antiny, wanna hook me up?

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Reminder, game time tonight 6:30 chat! Be there or else...

Sir Luvan will be a little lower in level than the others, so you have been warned.. :twisted:
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:02 am

Wahahahahahhah can I watch the terror commence?
Jiriki

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:43 pm

The group traveled to the dreaded hill, but at the last minute decided that approaching at night might not be such a good idea. So they camped in an abandoned pasture next to an old barn. In the middle of the night their rest was interrupted by swarms of rats. After exterminating the little pests, the group decided to investigate the barn. Inside were the rotting -- and in some places skeletal -- remains of several horses.

The game is scheduled to continue next Friday, 6:30pm chat time. (9:30pm EST, no clue UK time. :P )
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 am

(2:30am UK time)
Keith

Postby Jiriki » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:06 am

Wahoo! Tanks!
Jiriki

Postby Lifeinwinter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 am

June, I regret to report that I shall have to miss this next one. My friend is having his house warming party one hour before game starts and I shall be there mingling.

If you'd like to bot Antiny he will cut anything he thinks he can. He will shoot anything he thinks he can't cut, and if there are any paladins telling him what he's doing is bad he'll cut them down and eat their hearts.

Children and Horses are priority. Friends next. Himself last. And by oath he can't turn down anyone asking for protection if they agree to follow his directions.

Not much else to the boy. Everyone else enjoy the adventure twice as much for me!

-Absent
--Winter
Last edited by Keith on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed typo
Lifeinwinter

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:51 am

In this week's session the party started up the hill. They didn't get very far before they were ambushed by blood drinking spiders. After a hard fight where all but two of the spiders were defeated, the group continued up the path.

The story continues next Friday 6:30pm chat.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:00 am

The group traveled through the woods, survived being ambushed by blood-sucking spiders, and reached the keep early in the day. They also were experienced the shrill wailing sound that permeated the place. Anywhere they went, it could be heard. Once they actually entered the building the sound got louder or closer.

As they began exploring the small castle, the group encountered a room with skeletons lined up along the walls. At one end of the chamber was a stairwell leading up, and it appeared to be guarded by a suit of armor. Before anyone could suggest otherwise, Antiny threw a dagger at the armor. And as he expected, the armor and skeletons came to life. Just as the party thought they had a secure position in a hallway, the source of the wailing emerged. It was a horrific creature the floated down through the ceiling to attack the party. Its featureless head was surrounded by dozens of transparent "faces" all screaming and crying out in horror. When it raised its arms to attack, one of the faces would appear where a hand or fist should have been.

After a long battle against the unnatural forces, the party survived and was able to explore the keep. Once the creatures were slain, the silence of the place was both a relief and almost creepy itself. But there were no other hidden dangers in the castle.

The building itself was just a simple keep that might have housed a wealthy family, some guards, and a couple of servants at one point. In this day and age, though, it didn't appear to be home to anything living aside from some local bats. The upstairs had a several bedrooms badly in need of cleaning and refurbishing. Only one room was in any livable condition, which obviously the master bedroom. The canopy bed was immaculately made, and a very elegant dress is spread out on the bed. Next to the bed was an armchair, and a small end table with a dusty shot glass stood next to it. On a nearby nightstand is a book with a very fine lock on it. The book appears to be a journal or diary. (No key can be found.)

The main level of the castle houses the kitchens, storage rooms of long-decayed foodstuffs, and several now empty chambers. The basement is probably the most interesting of the levels. The main room appears to have been either a mad scientist's laboratory, or someone's trophy room. Along one wall are several statues that hold very real items. One statue is wearing a suit of breastplate armor, a necklace supporting a holy symbol to Selune, and has a mace strapped to it. Another statue is wearing a chain shirt and a buckler and has 2 swords strapped to it. An unstrung bow leans up against it. A third statue wears a suit of halfplate armor and a battle axe leans up against it. Elsewhere in the room is an examination table. On it is the skeletal remains of human/humanoid body. The skull appears to have undergone some kind of alteration. There are no eye sockets, no jaw, no nose holes. It's just a solid block of bone.

The rest of the room is pretty mundane. It has all of the trappings of a lab, though not in particularly good condition. There are cabinets with cobwebs, broken beekers, and a few flasks here and there. Plenty of the shelves are empty.

OOC Stuff...

Cleaning off the trophies decorating the statues and collecting the swords from the skeletons, you gather up the following trinkets:

Silver holy symbol to Selune (12.5gp)
MW Heavy Mace (156gp)
Breastplate+1 675gp)
Halfplate+1 (875gp)
MW Battle Axe (155gp)
MW Chain Shirt (125gp)
Buckler+1 (582.5gp)
MW Short Sword (155gp)
Silver Longsword (507.5gp)
Composite Long Bow (grants +1 str damage) with "Delimbiya's Shining Bow" enchantment (3250gp)
10 greatswords (25gp each, 250gp total)

Total haul: 6743.5gp. If divided equally, everyone gets 1348.7gp. Prices are listed in resale value. I hope everyone had fun. :)
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Lifeinwinter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Unless any objections are brought up:

For Flavor: Antiny will have taken the shot glass, and the diary to hold until he found any mage or lickpicker to open it for him.

Monetary: Well the bow looks nice, but I'm not going to take more than twice my share just because it's very pretty, but he will grab the MW Heavy Mace just to have something to use against future skeletons, and the rest in coin.

This was a lot of fun. Thanks^^

-Winter
Why sleep? I dream when I'm awake.
Lifeinwinter

Postby Azmon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Being uninterested in most of the items Tanya will just take her share of the gold.
Azmon

Postby Talinor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm

heh, coin is good for Rauvin

Thanks again for the story June!

-Joe
Talinor

Return to In Character Roleplaying