Something wicked this way comes

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 am

So, to set the scene, lounging in the trades are various clusters of people under the tree's, of course the best ones are always taken first. Dogs lap at water in the troughs, sharing that with the horses that swish their tails. Handlers by them sweat unbearably in the punishing sun shine. Those aloft in the air fare marginally better, but only if you take into account the acclimatization that goes along with the role. People squabble over small things, others merely bask.

Small talk happened, people chatted amongst themselves, but then something was noticed in one of the alley ways. It was Camilla that really paid attention to it. Seeing an animal, something that made her eyes hurt and her head ache as she looked at it. The body, only the back end of the large creature appeared to be feasting on something.

A shriek in the trades ward, then another shriek, both different sides of the market. Kristoff runs to the first, Caelathlanna turns to find the source of the second, but Camilla and Devon seem unsure of which path to take.

The pair in the alley look over the body that’s been found and then, to their horror, they both hear the growling of a large predator. A huge thing, just before a pair of vile, menacing eyes glint, just a flash then it's gone for about 30 heartbeats. Then from the shadows, from the fog that's building slowly comes the deeper shadow of what looks like a head, large, flattish and the eyes, they glint again - but they look like they're upside down. It looks like a creature straight from a nightmare.

Kristoff and Cael chose to confront the monster. Hurling fire from one hand and causing column of fire from another. The creature bursts into flames, burning it, it howls in agony! Meanwhile, back at the alley, the one that Devon and Camilla were facing vanishes into the shadows.

The hound with Cael and Kris also vanishes mid leap. Leaving the hero’s having to wonder at what it was they’d just faced, but with slightly more answers than before.
Jiriki

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 am

It was almost like a dream, almost, but sadly all too true. The watch had arrived on the scene of the body found and one of the less experienced lads first off began by emptying his stomach at the entrance of the alley way.

“I… I wasn’t here… I wasn’t..” The shaken ne’er do well had been barely able to string a full sentence together to make any sense of what he’d found. A shaking finger, a bundle of bones that shook so hard that watch Captain Fraser could swear he could hear the man’s bones shaking against each other, that or it was his teeth chattering from fright. So he added to his notes of the scene ~ " The man has a hollow eyed gaze, as if he were an opiate eater, and the sweat pouring off him smells as if he’s run the whole night."

“I come down this way most nights. I come this way to get home like from where I gets me bits and things.” Fraser nodded expectantly, writing it all down in a matter of fact fashion.

“It were a mess. It were.. blood… and the busted bones… and the… the smell. It was awful.. but worse of all was the thing that loomed over it. I dursn’t even say if were real or no! I can’t be sure. It sort of…. Kept jumping like it weren’t there really, like it were sort of pretend. Like my mind were playing on me. And…. And… I could hear it, I could feel this growl building, like it were me next. But then, then it were gone. I never been so frit in all my days Sir.. I never have… this long tongue, it were long lined with a strange blue pus or ichor. I screamed, I screamed so loudly as I thought to break my throat. And it were gone. One instant there, the next it were gone.”

The witness begged me to put him in the cells, said he could still hear the creature growling in the back of his head. We sent for a cleric who could find nothing that ails him, so we dosed him with alcohol til he fell asleep, even then, he still cried out, woke frequently insisting that - “the monster was coming to get him next.”

These italic lines of text are not publicly available. Please bear that in mind.
Jiriki

Re: Something wicked this way comes - the house.

Postby Jiriki » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 pm

The weather was favorable, the entire day had been hot, but now when the city started to cool and the sun left long shadows in enclosed places... a group of intrepid hero's chose to gather before the House in question. It was quiet, the courtyard before the house overgrown with cobbles being pushed up through vegetation. A cleric had been arranged to come along but that wouldn't be til later... much later. The front door to the building stood closed, the windows dark and silent. Long shadows mark the place as one of secluded silence. The bustle of the city a bit further out still audible, but not intrusive.

Ryan, Burgon the Cleric, Zeb the mage and Sildawen stood before the house discussing it before going in, it didn’t take them long to decide what they were going to do and so, they made their way in. Only to be joined at the last minute by the Hin Roscoe! He was a welcome but surprising extra for their group.

Down into the house they went.. the air was dank and dry, dust motes in the air catching the light from the means that Zeb brought with them. Ryan went into a room on the left, shortly joined by a couple of the others but as he turned to face the group he didn’t see the figures suddenly begin to distinguish themselves from the shadows. Half formed man shapes, all waiting… the cleric nearly soiled his armor there and then, the others not that much behind him! A small amount of communication was attempted – but they failed when Ryan lost his cool and kicked out at the wall.. Embedding his foot into the chest of someone that’d been buried into the false wall the plaster hid. It was then that the door to the outside world slammed shut on them.

With that attempt at getting more information being flummoxed, they made their way down the corridor, tentatively, as if expecting attacks from everything in the house, Zeb sent his fairy friend on ahead. When she reported back that there was indeed a cellar, their hopes rose and they made their way to where she showed them. All around them, the darkness crept closer and they were anxious to get this over and done with.

Ryan chose to go down into the cellar first – the first step being a doozy, it dropped him onto the pile of bones of what appeared to be forty or so children, aged and old from years of being left there, then Sildawen fell and Zeb also; leaving the Cleric and the Hin in the corridor on the ground floor. They were just sorting out how to get up or get down, which was more important when both the Hin and the Cleric heard movement on the floor above them. The shambling shuffles of zombies were on their way down!

The pair quickly chose down was the better option and a thorough examination of the place ensued. Revealing a partially hidden corridor in the cellar they braved the spider webs and found another door into a second part of the cellar under the old disregarded house. Ryan proclaimed the door trapped and SIl stepped up to disarm and pick the lock. She did so easily, the lock was old and no great challenge to her.

When they went into the room they found lots of old items, some potentially magical, the rest of it mostly antiquities of a bygone age. When they turned around, preparing to leave, they heard the zombies had come down to the ground level and were heading their way and they rapidly came to the conclusion that they were going to have to fight their way out. The first zombie fell into the cellar and began to make its way towards where they thought to barricade themselves in.

Ryan went out to confront the creature while the rest of them hid behind the partially closed door and he did well, but more zombies were coming, falling down into the cellar and began to surround him. He ran back to get to a more defensive position, and the zombies were engaged by two more of them, the hins arrows hitting but doing no harm, the holy water and magic Sil wielded faring better.

Just when they thought all hope was lost – the sounds of the front door to the house being forced could be heard and the cries of battle being engaged again. A cleric was up there though, one of Lathanders chosen – and short work was made of the small battle that began, the cleric and those working for the forces of good winning through to gain the day.

Treasure as follows found (remember, all this can be sold for half their street value – or kept by the party. Example: A mithral shirt has a market price of 1100g, but is valued at 550g when figuring adventure loot.):

Lanne's Manuscripts: This ancient compendium is written in blood upon linen pages and bound in blackthorn plates inlaid with iron. Whenever it is opened, the tome floats several inches above whatever surface it is set upon until it is closed. When used in a performance, this tome provides a +1 competence bonus to Perform (oratory) checks. Price: 200 gp, Weight: 5 lb. – 100gp

X 2 Potion of Remove Fear (50 gp) - 25each

X 2 Potion of Sanctuary (50 gp) – 25each

X 3 Potion of Cure Light Wounds (50 gp) – 25each

X 2 Oil of Magic Weapon (50 gp) – 25each

One old tome written in a language that’s hard to understand for Zeb.

One MW two handed sword (400gp) – 200gp

One MW greatsword (350gp) – 175gp

One small mw banded mail (550gp) – 275gp

One stuffed Crocodile. (relatively worthless)

What appears to be the skull of a juvenile dragon (appears to be also relatively worthless)

(thank you for playing, sort out who wants what, you all get roughly 150 - 200 gold each, if anyone wants anything thats over that, they have to put the extra cost above that 200 mark back into the kitty, or make an IC arrangement that is also sent to a DM to ensure it's paid..... and paid in full... MUAHAHAHAHAH!)
Jiriki

Postby Shamsy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Lanne's tome is of interest to Burgon. He thinks how impressive a floating tome would be when he preaches.

Otherwise the dragon skull would make for good boasting rights.

He offers to pray over the book Zeb has to decipher its meaning (can read magic).

((I think someone else was after the skull, but these are the two options he will take if no one else wants them. If another does, happy to go straight gold, maybe a potion to))
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
Shamsy

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Sil has some fun playing with the floating tome. All wizards have an innate desire to collect strange books, but she isn't willing to sacrifice half of her take from the quest for it. She has plans for that money.

She will, however, take one of each potion, because it never hurts to be prepared.

She will also take the dragon skull. She'll roll dice for it if anyone else is interested.
Andy

Postby tooitalian » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Ryan eyes the swords (what's the difference between a 2 handed sword and a greatsword?)

EDIT: Ryan will just take his cut in gold
tooitalian

Postby Deaths_Mask » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Zeb takes Fluffy, the creepy book... And he also takes over the house.
Deaths_Mask

Postby Bodybag » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Roscoe will take his in gold
Bodybag

Postby Shamsy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 am

Andy wrote:
She will also take the dragon skull. She'll roll dice for it if anyone else is interested.

Burgon claims the floating tome since the others seem to have no more than a passing interest, and relinquishes the dragon skull to Sil, which seems fair. While the tomb is a fair chunk of his cut, he is still left with enough coin to cover his laundry and bathing. He has expensive tastes!

((Tomb and gold for me, no need to roll over the skull))
Shamsy

Postby tooitalian » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 pm

At some time in the near future we need to get together again and discuss the plot items that were found.
tooitalian

Postby Shamsy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 am

Raam wrote:At some time in the near future we need to get together again and discuss the plot items that were found.

Agreed. My available times are usually after 6PM EST Friday and Saturday. Otherwise I'm at work and it'd be very difficult to do much more than spectate.
Shamsy

Postby Jiriki » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 am

(( With regards to the loot for this part. Can you please make your final choices over who gets what, there were a couple of people going for the same thing. Let me know what you decide please when you've all talked it through and I'll get it added, the XP should be already on your sheets. ~End Transmission~))

((Let me know when you want to continue this, send me information and rolls so I can help you advance this. ~End Transmission~))
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with gold."
Jiriki

Postby Shamsy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Burgon has claimed Leanne's Manuscript and gold.

((I'll send some investigation to Bex, hopefully catch you guys online soon))
Shamsy

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Zeb had taken the book to Enialas at his shop, when Ryan happened to find them while wondering around the Trades Ward. After some time, Enialas learned that the book was a Necronomicon, "The Book of the Names of the Dead." rumored to have been written by an old necromancer, using pieces of his own skin then regenerate the patch he had pulled off, each time leaving an arcane mark on each page. Ryan revealed a vision he had while they were exploring the house. Ryan's vision showed him a map of, what is assumed to be, the Jungle of Chult. While examining everything, Ryan became as one possessed, and start screaming out words that were not his own. Just before he finally collapsed in a wretched heap holding his head like a vise, he screamed out, among other things "Hell, I see smoke out on the horizon Mama, get your baby, take her down to the water I view the wind like a promise broken I see the future but it's getting farther."
Jiriki

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:08 pm

While idly walking by the docks, Ryan stopped to listen to a bard, singing a song to keep time with the men at work. After listening to the bard play, he realized he was singing about Lantan, the location on the map found in the Necronomicon. A quick discussion revealed that the bard had found a ship willing to travel to the island of Lantan, for a fee of 300 gp. The captain is leaving as soon as his ship is full and before the storms begin in earnest. Ryan reserved space for himself, Zeb and the bard and some extra room for anyone else who wanted to investigate the Necronomicon further.
Jiriki

Next

Return to In Character Roleplaying