Something wicked this way comes

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Sept 14th

Zeb and Burgon have been seen conversing together in the Yawning Portal, a favored haunt of the tubby Waukeener. Anyone who is listening very carefully may have overheard:

Zeb: Zeb would search for the pudgy cleric through the markets and any place those of Waukeen (sp?) might gather.

Burgon: Well the markets were a good start. After all, Waukeen is the patron of trade. But it is much more likely that Burgon can be found in one of the finer establishments around North Ward, eating and sharing local gossip with both merchants and clergy.

When Zen finally tracks him down (a difficult task for one so unremarkable as the quarry), Burgon is sharing gossip with a group of merchants. "Shipping should return to normal soon enough. Waukeen has sent omens that favor sea travel."
Upon seeing Zen approach, he excuses himself politely, graciously accepting the offers to cover his tab. "My friend! Greeting, what brings you here?"

Zeb: He grins as he over hears the bit about fair sea travel "You do of course. You're not the easiest man to find you know? Spare a moment to chat?"

he motions to one of the tables off to the side "I've got something that you just might be interested in..."

Burgon: Well, he'd raise an eyebrow slowly at that. With a quick glance around the room, the pudgy cleric shuffles out of his chair with just a small sigh. "I hope you're not in trouble now. Last thing I need is more trouble." He mutters as he moves to the more private local. "You found me, so what exactly might I find interesting?" He asks in a soft voice.

Zeb: "Trouble? Me?" He waves a hand "No more than the usual" he grins and sits at their private seats "I am planning a small... Sojourn of sorts. Nothing new for myself of course. But I am not intending to so alone this time. First we will be going to Lantan and then the forests of Chult." he nods and grins "Just think of all the possibilities for foreign trade and exotic materials to return to the city with..."

Burgon: At the mention of 'not so alone' Burgons face goes neutral. At the mention of Lantern it goes uncooperative. By the time Chult comes up it can positively be described as panicked.

He swallows several times and makes liberal use of his still half full wine glass. "Not alone you say.... I suppose you think that I would make a good traveling partner?" He looks for a moment... almost proud, perhaps flattered that he is being personally asked to attend. "I really don't know anything about this 'chewlt'" he mispronounces. "Are they a big city? I really should get out more, but I have simply never seen the need to travel, what with this great city meeting our every need." He pauses, dabbing daintily at his mouth with a silken handkerchief. "And what if there were no bath to be had for miles and miles. Some cities, alas, have not heard of the bath." He is shaking his head ruefully. "Lantern... now that sounds more familiar, though the details are sketchy. By what means do you intend to travel?" No 'we' used just yet. "What sort of accommodation can be expected? Food? Will there be an adequate supply of bathing venues?"

He ticks off several other petty needs on his pudgy fingers. With a sigh, he says "While I have never traveled far, I suppose I could be persuaded... provided that the conditions will be civilized and sanitary. I would also require adequate time to prepare and pack the bare essentials. A week or so should suffice for this. I would also need a few days at each city in order to see what mercantile advantages can be had, in the name of Waukeen." He ponders, a range of emotions crossing his face. Distinctly there is fear and uncertainty, but perhaps, well disguised, is a little pride. With a calculating look, he asks "So when do you propose to depart?"

Zeb: He listens quietly, watching the pudgy little cleric curiously. "mmm, I dont know the details of the place, though I believe Chult to be more of a jungle. Which you never know, could offer untold possibilities for an enterprising young man" he nods a little "At the moment I've no idea how to get there. I am assuming by ship, but I am looking for those who will go first. You are the first I came to ask" he smiles "And as for baths, I make no promises. As you said, there's places who never heard of the concept. But I have a spell that can easily clean so" he shrugs a little as he thinks

Burgon: "A JUNGLE?!" he replies perhaps a little shrilly. "Won't that be hot and full of creepy crawlies? I hardly think that is the sort of local one would willingly venture to. No, quite the opposite in fact, I imagine those of sane mind would prefer to live in much more temperate climes." He sniffles a little, having expressed his distaste of jungles. He leans back, feeling so suddenly weary of this whole 'adventuring' lark. After a few minutes of simple silence, he sighs deeply, rolling his eyes and sitting forward again. "I had a dream last night. Not at all a pleasant one mind, but one that I feel was probably bought on by divine intervention. I think I am beginning to see what this dream, or perhaps more accurately 'vision', is supposed to mean. I saw a far away place" he pauses for dramatic effect, sweeping his arm out wide to encompass the whole of the Portal "and there were vast untapped resources. No, I did not see them as such, I just...." He searches for the right words. "I just... felt that they were there, like... like a weight, or a light..." He trails off, unsure how to explain. "Anyhow, perhaps this is some sort of sign from Waukeen. Always was a nosy prodded that one." He gives a wink at his slight blaspheme.

With a serious face, hands that tremble and several newly acquired beads of sweat, he nods to Zeb. "I shall accompany you good sir, should you wish for me to do so." His voice holds no trace of enthusiasm, and he looks decidedly glum at the prospect of leaving Waterdeep. "I shall travel with you to Lantern and this 'Chult' place. However, I do not much care for discomfort, so I require that whatever vessel you procure to take us there be both clean, well equipt and not run by any of the scurvy vagabonds that seem to litter the ocean. Oh, I have no intention of leaving the ship once we get to this Chult. I shall simply be an observer, not a jungle trekker. Oh, you WILL keep that magic handy to. I cannot abide being foul smelling and unkempt." He nods, happy that he has made perfectly logical and reasonable demands. "I will require time to prepare. You can find me here most nights, so once you have our journey (he avoids the term adventure) planned, do drop by and provide me with the details." He leans his short and tubby frame back into the chair, awaiting a response from Zeb.

Zeb: He blinks as he listens, watching and listening to the Cleric make his demands and he just nods a little "I will do so to the best of my abilities" he grins and stands "I'll keep you up to date. I need to find a few others and then I will set about means of travel." he nods and gives the cleric a bow before he makes his way out, whistling as he left.
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Burgon has spent the last couple of days speaking to his fellow holy men in hushed whispers regarding a strange tome he has finally been able to examine, having broached the subject with Zeb following discussion of their trip away. The first day really yielded little for the cleric, and he grew frustrated. Seeing that his search was going nowhere fast, he changed tactics. What people cannot tell, perhaps parchment can.

Down into the dank, dusty archives he plodded, looking terribly miserable about the whole prospect. With a sigh of resignation he settles in the least dusty chair and orders the adjudication to bring wine, food and a bard to make his unpleasant duty less dreary. Wearing a simple brown robe and pair of gloves to cover his clean, manicured hands, he begins to sift through likely looking writings.

His search is at first slow. A name here, some boring raving there. How dull. Thank all that is holy that the wine, food and entertainment are here otherwise he may bore himself to death. Oh what one will do for curiosity. By evening Burgon is much more engrossed, carefully scribing notes onto a sheath of paper he has acquired.

The notes he compiles read thus:

~Ulutiu~ (pronounced oo-LOO-tee-oo), also known as The Lord in the Ice or The Eternal Sleeper, was the lawful neutral father of the giant-kin races and the god of glaciers, polar environments, and arctic dwellers. His domains consisted of animals, cold, law, ocean and protection. Ulutiu's symbol was a necklace of blue and white ice crystals and his divine realm was where he slept in the Astral Plane.


HISTORY ~
Around -25500 DR Ulutiu began an affair with Othea, wife of Annam All-Father, leading to the firbolg, fomorian, verbeeg and the voadkyn (while I can not confirm this, it is possible that those repulsive monsters could be the result of a god's sin). Ulutiu voluntarily exiled himself from Faerûn in -2550 DR when his affair with Othea was discovered by Annam (one wonders what the alternatives were).

According to Skrom Jek's The Meanderings Upon the Friezes of Hotun-Shûl, Ulutiu's corpse was placed on a barge that floated into the Cold Ocean and when it sank, his magical amulet froze the water (a potent trinket indeed. One that could be used for much good or much eveil should it fall into mortal hands), creating the Great Glacier and the Endless Ice Sea, a process which took 75 years.


DOGMA~
Ulutiu encouraged respect for animals because they share the same morals and emotions as people, despite showing them in different ways (what I wouldn't give for some more of that roast chicken). All people were equals, except for Ulutiu's clergy who were entitled to positions of leadership so that Ulutiu's wisdom could be distributed (similar to Waukeenan philosophy, that a time will come when all will share in prosperity and wealth). In the Great Glacier, Ulutiu's worshipers believed it a blasphemy to use magic not granted by Ulutiu (frankly a load of nonsense if you ask me).


The picture of the Icicles, is his Holy Symbol. Who could be interested in a dormant god? Some sort of nefarious plan perhaps?*

Far dustier than he is comfortable with and missing the comforts of his warm fire and favorite chair, Burgon ascends from the archives, feeling both rather pleased and heroic. Finding the temples messenger boys, he sends runners to each of his rough and tumble companions with a copy of his findings. Pausing to admire his reflection in a shop mirror, he heads back to his grand rooms in one of North Wards most luxurious inns. Still debating whether he is ready for the adventure set to come, he falls asleep, warm, safe and well fed.
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:14 pm

And now the ship has sailed, moving off into the open water and the fog that came with it swallowing the shape of the ship long before it should've vanished from sight.

Hedron, nearly got into a fight with a sailor as soon as he got onto the ship, Ryan arranged a quiet place to go pray.... and they all dined at the captains table...


But a few nights later, Ryan had a dream that put his blood on chill and the marrow in his bones to ice...
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:42 am

The party set out on that vessel, it took them a long way out into the ocean before they’d turn on their heading to get to Lantan. In between their start and the port, they had a skirmish with some pirates that intended to board them allegedly looking for something but the crew fought like demons. The party getting their own view of the way the ship ran it’s business and of all things, nearly fell foul of the captain himself due to the actions of one. But finally they made it to Lantan, with a promise to meet up again with the captain and the ship of the damned when their business was concluded.

After a peaceful time in the city searching the vast library in the city, and a hair-raising ride through the tunnels and nearly all of them losing their lunch along the way, they finally found some information to go on and some interesting facts about their next destination.

A while later, they were back on the ship and sailing away from the island of its misfit toys and the gnomes that made them, sailing the short distance to Chult’s peninsular and then along the coast, they made land just short of Tashalar's port, in a small town and found themselves in a hotter than anticipated damp climate, a place where the air was full and heavy, the people were unusual and made the impoverished people around them all want to touch this strange cluster of people, Sera, Aulric, Burgon, Zeb and Ryan nearly got split up in the mob’s actions. Only managing through Aulrics quick thinking and transference to pass into a small alley that led to the edge of the jungle itself.

Now, they find themselves needing to be equipped, prior to their entry proper into lands unknown and the Jungles of Mhair lies before them.
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 pm

After some bartering was made, Aulric managed to procur a guide of sorts that at least spoke their language, even if he did eye Sera's staff a little strangely and spoke with a rampant hiss to all his esses. The night was spent in the luxury of a decent enough bed, supplies were procurred and the choice was made to actually make a start the next morning.

All in all, Aulric didn't do too bad a job, although the guides now think that Sera and Burgon are wedded, with Aulric as their tour head and Zeb along with Ryan being their servants... so far at least though, no one's mentioned Chult in Ryan's presence again.

The good news was that the guide did appear to know where they needed to head. The description of a Temple near a Waterfall and a river seeming to set of his mind thinking in that direction...

Now, if only they knew what horrors lay head in that animal festooned place that was the Jungles.
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Jiriki » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Iiin the jungle.. the mighty jungle, Burgons stomach rumbled all niiiiiight.. in the jungle, the not so silent jungle, it nearly caused a fiiiiight...

Ahem, they made it through the first four days or so of the jungle, big snakes, spiders, plants that ate pigs and blue arsed monkeys..... but then... on the fourth day... No body rose again...

[01:53:12 AM] Bodycount Bex: *To fast forward a bit, the next few days pass easily, there's lots of walking, there's walking up hill, then down hill. The light sort of varies from time to time but you do get plenty of exercise in the meantime! A few of you find small guests in your gear the next morning, a few of you see things you might not want to share with the outside world. Monkeys with big bare blue assholes, a large pig thing that snuffles it's way across your path, shortly to be violently snatched up by a plant that makes it squeal for a long period of time after... and four days later.. you find yourself at the top of another hill... a rocky bluff. The river you'd been following is now a raging torrent that plummets off the edge of a 100ft drop.*

Image (consider it looking like this..)

[01:53:23 AM] Seraphina Tosscobble: No more sign of the red one. She just gathers the cloak, folds it, tucks it against her back and heads where the guides are taking them. Possibly trying to goad Ryan into mindlessly saying something about temples and waterfalls again.

[01:54:14 AM] Zeb: When the guides weren't around Zeb would let Burgon in on his unease about their guides and worrying more about them than the book at the time.

[01:56:42 AM] Burgon Goldwirth: Well he takes it all in stride... for a day. The following three he's back to complaining and being unhappy with his lot. He looks decidedly lean to (from what he was). "Not enough food, always damp, legs ache, biting insects, dirty..." The tirade continues unabated. As to Zebs worrying... well he can't disagree, though he isn't sure what exactly to do about it, short of leaving them behind. And that seems like a dangerous alternative. "Keep your friends close and your enemy closer." he offers.

[01:57:46 AM] Burgon Goldwirth: As they reach the bluff... "Well dear, is this the spot that you've always wanted to see?"

[01:58:23 AM] Aulric DragonHawke: "Last time I'm leaving the city." Aulric mumbles through the trek to the waterfall.

[01:58:36 AM] Seraphina Tosscobble: She found perverse pleasure in watching an insect or two try to bite her.. Try to. They appeared to have some difficulty with her skin. As they got to the place though she'd walk rather boldly toward the edge, gazing down over the ting. "By this point.. Err, yeah, it damn well might be at that."

[02:00:42 AM] Bodycount Bex: So how to get down there.. *The guide grins and steps to the edge.... peering over it, the other two go with him.* Well, you could always just..... *He shrugs and grins then when his comrades are much closer to him than you've seen previously... and vanishes.*

[02:01:33 AM] Zeb: He watches the guides stil... which he generally did whenever they were around. He backs away when they vanish, using his want to cast mage armor again.

[02:02:00 AM] Burgon Goldwirth: "......" and they're gone. Damn.

[02:03:01 AM] Aulric DragonHawke: "What the hells! What have we've gotten ourselves into now!"

[02:03:23 AM] Zeb: "My guess would be it involves death... More than we thouht..."

[02:03:58 AM] Burgon Goldwirth: "Seems you were right Zeb... though I note our throats are intact... so I don't know what their motives were for actually guiding us here...."

[02:04:28 AM] Zeb: Grins to Burgon "For the time being m'lord. For the time being..."

[02:05:54 AM] Seraphina Tosscobble: "..I'll have to make a point of learning to do that as well. Heh. Anyhow.. their motivations will matter if we run into them again. If not.. well, one problem at a time."

[02:06:33 AM] Burgon Goldwirth: "Like how we are supposed to get down from here..."

[02:01:26 AM] Bodycount Bex: (Now, you have a choice. You can either figure out how to get down there now, or you can have a forums scene and come up with a plan, but it's 2am now... and I did a ten hour shift what seems like a million hours ago.)

(They chose forums for the discussion, this is just to keep the flow moving for when we move through to next week.)
Last edited by Jiriki on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jiriki
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: UK!

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Shamsy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:22 pm

"Aulric, do you have any magic that would allow us to fly or fall safely?" He asks, aware that often the officers of griffon riders of Waterdeep carry privately purchased rings that save them from falling in aerial accidents. Otherwise he suggests that they use rope. A lot of rope. And he is not the one to tie the knots....
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
User avatar
Shamsy
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby tooitalian » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Ryan mutters something about the friendly locals and his intelligent companions as he slides his pack off and walks over to the edge of the ridge and looks down. "I do not see another option down, rope or magic are our only two choices. I have fifty feet of silk rope and a grappling hook." he scans the water. "We do not know what is beneath the surface either." he steps back away from the edge and walks back to his pack. He kneels down and unhooks a neatly coiled rope with a grappling hook from the side of the pack. He looks up from the pack and eyes the not-as-plump-when-they-left-but-still-a-bigun Burgon and smiles faintly. "We could tie you up and lower you down if you cannot make it yourself my good Master."
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
User avatar
tooitalian
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby adragonb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Aulric crosses his arms across his chest and looks at them all," Have we forgotten my one talent of benign transposition? I can get anyone down that can't do it themselves." Aulric smiles at them and gives a small bow. " Man, I like it when I'm useful!", Aulric looks to Sera," Can you still spiderclimb like when we fought the hag in the alleyway in Waterdeep? Cause you could take Sarafina down with you and then I can start the transposition of everyone else then." (( the spells range is 100 feet +10 feet per level, in other words 150 ft.))
User avatar
adragonb
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: Pemberville, OH. USA

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Shamsy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:50 am

Burgon QUICKLY agrees that Aulric offers the safest, fastest and by far most dignified way down. After the state he found himself in four day's ago he needs to salvage all the dignity he can.

"A lovely idea Ryan, but why sweat and heave when we have magic at our beck and call?" He rubs his still ample tummy. "Honey sweet cakes anyone?" He produces several small cakes wrapped in cloth and preserved in honey. "I've been saving these and seeing as we don't know what we'll find down there now is as good a time as any." He offers them around and will of course eat any remaining.

((I think we're good on how to get down. Catch you all Saturday))
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
User avatar
Shamsy
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby tooitalian » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:24 am

Ryan refuses the sweet cakes with a shake of his hand, instead he just pulls his hood over his head and sits down cross legged next to his pack while he waits for his ride down.
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
User avatar
tooitalian
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby adragonb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 am

Aulric chuckles at Burgon," No thank-you Burgon." Waving away the sweet cakes, Aulric pulls a flask out of his cloak and drinks the refreshing water in the flask, and then taking a seat five feet away from Ryan. After settling down and with Sarafina checking around himto make sure no critters was near Aulric, Aulric stares at Ryan to see if he gets any visions.
User avatar
adragonb
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: Pemberville, OH. USA

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Murdling » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:09 am

"Going to be a little busy I'm afraid." She'd have to fetch Aulric's familiar after all. Get it situated somewhere safe on her person and then get started. It's not as if climbing down a hundred feet of cliff face is going to be easy or quick. Is it?
User avatar
Murdling
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm
Location: Michigan, Bay City

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby tooitalian » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Ryan turns his head slowly and returns the stare to Aulric. His facial expression was blank and unreadable, but if you stared into his eyes hard enough you might see a small fire burning. "Aulric, I have noticed a pattern in your behavior that you may want to address." he said rather bluntly, as if stating a fact that was not up for debate. "You act before you think. Much like our guides saw right through your horrible lie, I can see right through your stare. Tell me, if I were to suddenly go bat shit crazy again, do you think being this close, or staring at me as if I am some freak, is safe?" Ryan asks in a calm tone.
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
User avatar
tooitalian
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Something wicked this way comes

Postby Shamsy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Burgon smiles. Both at the idea of Ryan going loopy again and at the sweet cakes that appear to be all his! He does take a descrete step back though. With sticky fingers he VERY cautiously approaches the cliff edge to watch the careful descent of Sera. After looking down though he decides it's safer to sit a little away and trust in her ability. Knowing they will likely be facing different trials to the jungle soon, he settles into quiet prayer.
Of course it's evil! Kill it!
User avatar
Shamsy
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to In Character Roleplaying

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest