Ryan's Background Story: Dark Beginnings

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Ryan's Background Story: Dark Beginnings

Postby tooitalian » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:26 pm

The sun was just setting, it's fading light barely making it out of the dark murky clouds that trapped all the moister and heat in the air. The small wooden wagon seemed to jump at every rock and hole as it traveled down a trail, overgrown with weeds and grass. A young boy was sitting in the back, his knees tucked under his chin and a grey wool blanket draped over his shoulders. His eyes were a steely blue, his dark hair short and messy like a mop. His face was blank and emotionless. Thunder cracked loudly overhead, but he did not even flinch.

The driver turned around to look back at the lad, an elder man with sorrow in his eyes. He turned back to face the path ahead of him, contemplating what had happened earlier that morning. "Poor young lad." he thought to himself. "Not a soul to care for him, so we give him to them." he shakes his head and spits in contempt. He had made this journey many times before, always finding comfort in the silence of being alone. This time, however, the silence was stifling. Thunder cracked again, spooking the horse. "Whoa there." he said clicking his tongue. He exhaled heavily as the words left his mouth, finally breaking the spell. He looked up at the sky, quickly getting darker as the sun left. "There will be no moon or stars tonight, we should make camp now while we still have a bit of light left." he said to the boy. The lad did not respond, his face remained emotionless. The driver pulled off to the side of the trail, and got down from his seat. "Laddie, go see what you can find for firewood, while I start unloading." he says as he nears the boy. Without any acknowledgement the boy jumps down from back of the wagon, and walks slowly towards the tree line. The driver can only shake his head as he starts to make camp.

Nightfall, a small fire burns brightly, not that any heat was needed on a night such as this, but it was still comforting to watch the flames flicker in the night. The boy had hardly eaten anything, and was staring blankly at the coals. The driver fidgeted uncomfortably again, unsure of what to do. He finally stood up and moved over to the side of the boy. After a few moments of staring at the fire, he said, "You know, what you saw was truly horrible. No one should ever go through that in their lifetime. I know there is no words of comfort I can offer, no comfort could be had in a situation such as this. All I can tell you is the truth." he turns his head to look at the boy, unsure if he was listening or not. "Where you are going, you will be beaten, abused, punished, spit on. If it were my decision, you would not be going to these monks." again he spits in contempt. "However, your uncle has charged me with bringing you to them, therefore I must. By the end of tomorrow, we will be there. You must stay strong, lad." he grabs the boy by the arm, and squeezes it roughly. The boy finally turns his head to look at the hand then back up to his face, staring him directly into the eyes. The driver sees all the anger and hate behind those eyes, hidden beneath his emotionless face. It is startling to see a young boy of eight staring so intensely, the driver leans back a bit but does not break the stare. He shakes the boy's arm again. "Stay strong, and you will survive. Be the strongest, and you will never need to submit yourself to anyone again." he says with gravity, and releases the lad from his grip. He stands up and feeds the fire more wood, thinking about all he had read in those eyes. Anger, hate, defiance, and yet at the very bottom of his eyes was a small glimmer of thankfulness, he thought. Sighing heavily, he leaned up against a wagon wheel. There would be no sleeping tonight, not for either of them.
tooitalian

Re: Ryan's Background Story: Dark Beginnings

Postby tooitalian » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:03 am

These stone walls looked cold and desolate thought the driver as they passed through the main gate. As he pulled to a stop just inside he looked over his back to watch the boy. He had gone through a tiny transformation since the previous night. No longer blankly staring into space, he had seemed to take a keen interest in the surroundings as they went along. Once inside, the boy jumped down from the wagon and looked at the high walls surrounding him. A group of 3 grey robbed figures approached the driver. "You are two days late from your normal delivery date, Horrice." says one of the group. He watches as the boy walks over to the side of the driver. "Who is this you brought with you?" "This boy is Ryan of House Cragsmere. Well, that is not entirely accurate." Horrice replies, looking down at the boy. "I see, so he is meant to stay with us?" said the monk with a slight tone of exasperation. Horrice stares at the boy for a moment before replying "Aye, I have here a letter from his uncle, Lord Hatrix." He removes a folded parchment from the inside of his coat and handed it to the elder monk. "Very well. My brothers will assist in unloading your wagon. Brother Talbert, please show our guest to his new living space." With a bow, one of the monks walks over slowly to the boy and grabs him by the arm. "Come with me." he commands. Ryan does not resist, he walks slowly with the monk, turning his head for a moment to give Horrice one last look before disappearing around a corner. A heavy sigh exits the lips of the old driver as he shakes his head.

Ryan is thrown into a very small chamber with naught save a chipped wooden bowl on top of a small pedestal and a corner with rotten, moldy hay. "This is where you will be living for now on. We will fetch you later." And with that, Brother Talbert shuts the heavy wooden door and bolts it from the outside. Ryan looks around in his little space. The only openings are little slits way above that dimly illuminate his cell. The bowl is dry and dusty, it looks as if no one has been inside for quite a while. Anger and frustration build up inside him, and he starts pounding his fists against the cold stone walls. What had he done to deserve this? Why was this happening to him? It wasn't fair, and Ryan was to be sure the wall was taking all the punishment it deserved. He did not stop until his small bloody hands were making tiny pools on the wall and floor below. No tears or cries did he make, he just stood there, trembling in rage. Finally, he sat down and leaned against the bloody wall, his clothes soaking it up and wetting his back and pants. It was going to be another long night, no one came for him until dawn the next day.
tooitalian

Re: Ryan's Background Story: Dark Beginnings

Postby tooitalian » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 am

((WARNING: THE FUTURE CONTENT IS VERY GRAPHIC. IF VIOLENCE BOTHERS YOU, YOU SHOULD NOT BE READING THIS.))

The sliding of the metal bolt jars Ryan awake. The blood had dried up and was sticking between cloth and stone. He squints as daylight hits his face from the now open door.

"Get up." says the monk.

Ryan stands up, too slow for the monk however. With an open hand he smacks Ryan across the head.

"Worm! When I give you an order you move!" he screams at him.

Ryan glares back at the monk, hate building up in his eyes. This provokes another hit, this time with a closed fist, right in the face. The young boy falls to the floor, grimacing and grunting in pain.

"Insolent turd! Do you think you can defy me!?!" The monk screams at him from the top of his lungs, and gives him a kick to the ribs that lifts him up off the ground and throws him a few feet.

Ryan shouts as he feels his ribs snap. The boy tries to bring himself up with one arm, but the pain is too great and he falls down to the floor, crying out in pain.Tears stream down his cheeks as he lies there, helpless and in agony, desperately trying to stand up, just to get up and move, but his willpower cannot overcome it. Without a word, the monk steps slowly over to him, looks down at the body of the young boy holding his side, and kneels down beside him.

"Look at me, boy." he commands. Ryan only whimpers. "LOOK AT ME!" he shouts in face. Ryan turns his head to look at the monk, his eyes filled with pain, sorrow, anguish and confusion. Brother Talbert stares at him intently for some time, until he nods his head. "Good, you have learned your first lesson. Brother Martin." he calls out to the courtyard. A small man, only about 4 feet tall, frail and elderly, stands in front of the doorway. "See to his wounds, and clean him up." Brother Martin bows deeply, and stands aside for Brother Talbert as he slowly and quietly leaves the room. Ryan watches him go, burning holes into his back with his eyes. He would pay for this, they all would.

It takes several hours for the boy to heal completely, even with the magics of the elderly monk, though he still has the bruises to show for. As soon as he can walk, Brother Martin leaves the room, and bars the door behind him. He returns shortly with a basket of bread, a large bowl of stew, and pitcher of cold water. This was the first act of kindness anyone had ever shown him.

"Thank you." Ryan says shyly to him. The monk only nods his head very slowly, and once more bars the door behind him.

Ryan makes short work of the stew and the bread. He drank half the pitcher of water and saved the other half for later. It was late evening again, based upon the dim orange sunlight that was shinning threw the small windows. Ryan stretches out, and curls up into a little ball on the stone floor, deciding that would be more comfortable than the moldy hay. It does not take long for his breathing to become more and more regular, and is soon fast asleep.
tooitalian

Return to In Character Roleplaying