The Daily Dragon: Journals

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: The Daily Dragon: Journals

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Journal Entry 2:
Written on the back page of a tome hidden amongst the bookshelves of the Great Library.

When we arrived in Waterdeep, House Moonstar regarded me with utmost respect. They saw to my physical well-being, provided me with some of the rarest tomes for study, and fed me with feasts day after day. In hindsight, I suppose that perhaps that is how the nobles eat—their midday snacks more delectable than the most grandiose of banquets held by the poor. Even the wealthiest of Silvaeren found it difficult to compete with the riches of Waterdeep! The trade center, I soon learned, prospered from shipments arriving from both land and sea, making the City of Splendors more affluent than most of west Faerun. With prosperity came resources, and with resources came access to knowledge. I would do well to live here.

The situation changed after a Ride of lackadaisical study, feasting, and general indulgence in pleasures conferred upon me by the nobles. I couldn’t help but overhear some of the chatter behind my back between the dark-eyed Lady and the monk who visited weekly, who I would later know as Brother Rufus. By Ride’s end, the Zealots of the Written Word had agreed to take full responsibility for me. I would never forget those dark, calculating eyes. I suspect that they are the only reason I am currently prospering in Waterdeep.

Brother Rufus and his fellow Carmendines treated me as equals. Unfortunately, that meant a combination of back-breaking labor combined with rigorous studies eight days per tenday. Before the break of dawn, they would drag me out of bed to begin the morning rituals of meditation. From memory, we recited the words of the Metatext thus far recorded, in addition to texts that the Glyphscribes deemed promising. After a silent meal, we labored in the library to copy and read various texts that the Order would later sell for a small income, which we used to support ourselves. After a midday meal, we transitioned into hand-to-hand combat training, along with wrestling and a variety of tests for physical strength. Every day, I felt alive.

To me, something felt missing—something small, yet enormously significant. The holy Order of Deneir championed self-improvement both physically and mentally, but did little to spread the knowledge gained. From an outsider’s perspective, I would find most of the copied texts uninteresting to read, had I lacked the academic upbringing for which I can thank my father. I eventually persuaded the Brothers of our Order to allow me to roam the city, and learn of ways to better contribute our knowledge to society. Many objected, citing the chaos and disruption outside the walls of the monastery as too much for my mind to handle. Perhaps they were right; I returned with hundreds of ideas from spreading the knowledge from our tomes to public broadsheets to studying the effects of potent substances on one’s ability to discover the Metatext in written works. The latter eventually led to the continuation of the craft I knew well—and the craft that many looked down upon within the walls of the city.
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:52 am

Sera had gone to her room in the wee hours of the morning, with a moment or two spared to tell Enialas she was ready. She had a scroll in hand, and her familiar standing by with a potion or two, and the elf wizard ready to step in if needed. Not that any of it would help.

The halfling herself wasn't really aware beyond the initial point of contact with the artifact. The pair in the room with her saw her go rigid though. One sharp breath and then nothing, she just locks up. With a few intervening minutes giving rise to a slow trickle of blood from her nose. The scroll only allowed for three minutes, but how long the crystal could maintain contact of it's own accord if it wanted? That was perhaps another matter..

Either by way of three minutes or more by the time she wakes up she's on her back, with the blood congealing a little. Looking more than a little shaken. She used her arms to prop herself up, rubbing her arm idly across the bloodied spot of her face. She wasn't really here, not just yet. Breathing though, shakily breathing and shakily conscious. The Imp was crouched in the corner, tail around his legs and arms wrapped tightly around his knees, refusing to speak or even look up. And yet not invisble. Sera however just walked to the desk in her room and went for paper and inkwell and quill. Though she almost spilled the inkwell and her lettering had never been sloppier by the time she's writing. All this just to get down eight words.

The bells ring thrice, and the sky falls.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 am

He sat in the Watchful Order's Main Campus library perusing through some informational books of wyrmlings. He remembered what Susanna had stated of wanting to acquire a dragonette wyrmling. He flipped through the pages and finally came to the section of Dragonettes, and then started reading it through. Sarafina stayed on his shoulders and looked at the large book also.

After reading up on the pages about the Dragonette, Aulric closed the book frowning," Interesting type of familiar to have, but not for me." Sarafina appeared to be happy with Aulric's statement and rubbed against his neck,{ I'm glad you're not getting rid of me so soon!}

Chuckling,he lifted his hand up to Sarafina's head and lightly scratched the weasel's chin,"Don't worry Sarafina, I won't get rid of you for a while. I have a lot to learn if I want to acquire a more powerful familiar than you my dear."

She seemed to like Aulric's answer and settled down on his shoulders, as Aulric stood up and returned the book back to it's spot in the large library.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 am

Well, that had cleared the air...hadn't it?

She lay on her side in the dark, his gentle reassuring warmth up against her back and hands loosely encircling her body. It was the only way she'd managed to keep the nightmares away, so far, but she still felt very small and unworthy of the attention. Eyes closed, one still managed to eke out a single tear that vanished into her pillow.

She knew what she wanted. She knew what he wanted. There was no way she was going to leave. So ... why was she still afraid? It was so confusing, even though she was sure he wasn't planning to leave. She'd heard it twice now, and not just from him. That had to be enough to make it certain. Didn't it?

Eyes still closed, she sighed even as she felt him shift quietly behind her. He'd wait until she was sound asleep before leaving, which was reassuring, and that thought itself brought a tiny shudder. Hands tightened, and she forced herself to relax again.

Yeah. Everything was perfectly clear, all right.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Loth'Gar Journal Entry 22: The Rat Bat

Shivering slightly in the warm moon light, Loth'Gar prowled from one alleyway to another. He was in his element, his eyes seeing clearly in the dark, the various shades of grey as clear as the noon day sun. He had a length of wood in one hand, which he affectionately referred to as his 'rat bat'. His heart rate was up, the pulse sounding loud I his ears, adrenaline slowly sufficing his system. Tonight he was combining a bit of 'fun' with his vigilante style work, making his way among the alleyways in the 'nicer' parts of the Docks and 'moving along' any ruffians or near-do-well he came across. He darted into a small confines between a run down looking bakery and a permanent fish mongers, quickly scanning the space. There! A nasty looking fellow, the booze still detectable over the reek of urine and fish guts. Leaning against a wall casually, the man looked like he was waiting for easy prey to take the narrow highway home. This time though, he found Loth'Gar! Moving quickly down the stretch, trying not to mind the mess accumulating on his boots, the half-orc casually looped his 'rat bat' in circles through the reeking air. "Not a nice smell here. Maybe you should go home before it sinks into your pores?" He suggests in his loud and deep voice. Apparently that was enough, because despite his intoxicated state, the alley tough slinked off, just slightly faster than the approaching half orc, resplendent in shining mail, scarred and obviously a veteran of many scraps. "Well that was easier than the last time." He smiles, remembering the pair of thugs who's bottoms would undoubtedly remember Loth'Gars boot for several days to come.

Moving along, he finds several alleys empty, before he empties a couple more. A ceaseless and at times dangerous task, but worth the effort to know that every pickpocket, drunk and brawler sent packing is one less disturbance the Watch will have to distract them from more pressing matters. He swings the rat bat merrily, rather enjoying the exercise and the odd test of skill when the slinkers prove to be more tenacious than smart. When he takes a knife to the kidney (luckily stopped dead by his hardened mail), he decides that a little more caution may not go astray. He spends the next hour or so making his way through small alleys, dead ends and other spots where petty crimes are often reported but the Watch are unable to regularly patrol. Satisfied that his rat bat and boot got a good workout, he heads to the nearest tavern of any worth, which happens to be the Angry Cox, a favourite for Loth'Gar and a few of his adventuring companions.

Come to mention it, it has been a while since he has seen anyone he recognises. Probably busy with one thing or another, he supposes. He himself had been in hiding for quite some time. Shrugging he takes a table at the front of the tavern, ordering the chowder the place has a reputation for. They don't water the wine too much either, so he orders a cool jug of something white and fruity, not his usual, but it takes his fancy in this instance. Thinking of some of his closer friends, he resolves to see Sera, Aulric, Throm…. he lists them off one by one. Yes, he really should try and run into them soon. Especially Sera, who seemed to be mixing with some sinister people of late. Maybe he should raise that point? Or maybe his fears were unfounded. After all, she could be a little harsh and scathing, but surely that was just her mannerism? He sighs loudly. She defiantly needs someone to keep her out of trouble. The chowder is good, the wine refreshing and a pleasant exertion from his do-gooding. A good day he determines. Watching the sun set, he smiles. A common sight once, but one all to rare the last few months. Looks like all wounds heal with time.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Dev set a brisk pace setting out from his home in the North Ward headed towards the Fields of Triumph. It was part of his routine, he allowed the glow of the predawn sky allowed him to see the path perfectly. The star light and beginnings of shimmering sun meant that he did not need to resort to the black and white filter of darkvision which he found useful but terribly difficult to read facial details and features. He wasn’t very good at that sort of thing any way so anything that increased his disadvantage was something he tried to stay away from. He took stock of recent events and shook his head as the Fields drew into sight. Things were still awkward…though not nearly as much as they had been. Dev wondered not for the first time if he had…oversold his impressions of what Susanna looked like and what it meant that she was comfortable wielding a cutlass.
He had no desire to damage her confidence but, he had thrown down the gauntlet in a manner of speaking. At least this would happen in the fields without blunt weapons instead of edged weapons. Maybe I should spar without my gear, he thought and then dismissed the thought because Susanna would find it insulting. No he would wear all of his protective equipment. He would lay back initially and he would not enter into the dance of dervish. He would let her set the pace of the sparring and rely on his speed to force her to reveal her talents. He would have to eventually dance as his reputation precluded because he was certain by now she had inquired about it. The last thing he wanted was for this sparring session to cause conflict between them. He hoped it would be fun. He frowned and he hoped the nagging feeling in the back of his head was just nerves.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Journal Entry 4:
Penned in a tome that Elliot carries around him from morning to night.

Brother Rufus used to send me to the Docks to drop off his letters. I once wondered why he didn't simply pay the sorcerer a couple of coppers to magically send off the message faster than you could say, “Delivered,” but now I suspect I know why.

One autumn evening, I peregrinated the wards with his scroll tucked in my breast pocket. It struck me odd that hardly a single soul passed me as I neared the docks. A coastal zephyr kissed my face, and I couldn't have wished to be in a more blissful part of the world—until a hastily-muffled shriek pierced through the quiet.

If anyone ever asks me where the richest part of Waterdeep lies, I’d point them to the Docks. While the nobles and wealthy merchants who reside in the Sea Ward own more jewels and gems than the collective dowries of entire communities of peasants, the Docks carry a history and culture second to none. The masonry of the Warrens alone has existed for centuries, remaining largely intact despite the occasional repair or augmentation. Cargo arrives by ship, and deliveries go out to other coastal cities and islands. As a result, the Dock Ward attracts all manner of folk for all kinds of reasons.

Sometimes, the worst of people pay the ward a visit. I sprinted towards the scream, spilling flaming lantern oil as I ran. The pitch seemed human and feminine. When I arrived, the sight sent my body into a numbing shock. A gang of thugs formed a semicircle around a figure drenched in crimson. A shredded dress lay at her feet, trampled by the hoodlums as they performed acts beyond inhuman. I stood immobilized in fear.

“Son, you gon’ watch or do sump’n ‘bout it?’" said a voice behind me. I jumped, and chucked the flaming lantern at the gang. The target screamed in pain, and those around them scrambled to gussy up and reach for their weapons. “Brave, but stupid.” I turned to see the owner of the voice—none other than the Captain of the Watch, himself. He drew his famous Red Sword. The hooligans ran.

The girl turned out physically OK, as the combat medics arrived on site to patch her wounds. I wouldn't dare to imagine the trauma that occurred to her mind, however. Reinforcements quickly captured the criminals, who I suspect ended up in the sewers, or at best, imprisoned for life.

Despite the cruelty that I witnessed, that day I saw the Watch in full action. Although I wished that the crime could've been prevented, the memory inspired me to later join the Watch in hopes of doing even better.

The moon shone in all its splendor by the time I returned to the monastery. To the apprehensive Brother Rufus I said, “I failed to deliver. I will next time.”

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Loth'Gar Journal Entry 23: Today I Got Chased by Dogs

Loth'Gar threw on another burst of speed, hoping to outrun the dogs that were hot on his heels. One, a great black, vicious looking thing, another a crossed mutt of indeterminate origin and lastly, now lagging behind, a pampered and polished poodle, teeth bared and fur on end. In fact, as he ran he had to laugh, the poodle looked utterly ridiculous and barely reached above his boot. Were it not accompanied by the black beats and the possibly rabid mutt, he might have turned and grabbed it, risking (well, not a lot of risk honestly) a bite from the things sparkly teeth. However, with three to one, he didn't much care for the odds of escaping unscathed. And he really didn't want to hurt the animals either…

It had all begun but a few minutes ago, when walking along, minding his own business, the half-orc had been ambushed by a rather smelly, obviously mad individual in what he could only assume were night clothes. "Mad! They're all gone mad!" He had ranted, breathing heavily, his eyes half out his head with excitement or fear. Thinking he was one of the doomsday preachers (though unusually dresses he had to admit), Loth'Gar had carefully but forcefully extricated himself from the mans clutching, trying not to make eye contact or show even the slightest inclination of interest. "No! You don't understand, my dearly, my little poopy has gone quite mad! She near killed me she did!" He persisted, indicating the smelly and torn night clothes. "The Watch did nothing! Damn good fer nothing puke on Mystra's boot!" So Loth'Gar could not contain a snort of laughter at that. He recovered himself quickly, remembering his manners, but it was too late, the old man had taken offence. "Mask shit in your boots then! Don't say I didn't warn you!" and off he huffed, muttering darkly about fools and magic and curses of the gods.

At least he left peacefully and without too much spitting, thought Loth'Gar, continuing on his merry way. The road narrowed and passed through a curve, opening into a small court maybe sixty paces across. Not familiar with this part of the Trades Ward, Loth'Gar continued on, making note of the lack of foot traffic and an odd black smear on the pavers. Looked like… almost like a dogs face. It jogged some memory, but he couldn't quite put hi finger on it. No matter, the courtyard was deserted, bar a couple of dogs scrounging in some weeds and rubbish in the corner. Unconcerned, he stepped over the black staining, looking for all the world like a scorch mark or something. A prickling passed very briefly over his arms, but maybe that was summer breeze… He considered looking closer at the marking, though he couldn't really determine why he would… but growling got his attention.

Turning to the dogs, a mutt of splotchy brown and a great black thing, he made eye contact. That was it apparently, for the pair went from growling, bared teeth to a full out sprint at him, foam starting at their mouths, claws clicking! "What the?" was about all the half orc got before he decided to make a dash for it. He thought he could outrun the dogs, but why were they so keen to apparently eat him?? Of all the luck, Tymora saw fit to throw his way… He could hear the dogs close behind, not gaining but it seemed he had overestimated his own speed, because he wasn't making much headway. As if from nowhere a white, fluffy ball of fur and teeth comes barrelling at him from the side! Jumping, legs splayed wide, arms out for balance, he had to vault over the thing to stop it's little nashy teeth from clutching his boot and tripping him up. Time seemed suspended for a moment before he returned to the pavers and continued his headlong retreat from now three crazed canine pursuers!

"Oh! Curse the luck!" He shouted, suddenly remembering why the marking seemed familiar. He'd read about it once, a strange magical effect that turned any dog against the person triggering it. Suspected to be a curse of some kind, or perhaps a ritual gone wrong, the city residents had been warned in the broad sheets to keep away from a court yard somewhere in the Trade Wards. He had only glanced over the article, so details were sketchy and he had been paying scant attention even then. Guess he managed to find that one courtyard in an entire city. He really would have to make an offering to Tymora, if he made it out of this one. And maybe listen to the crazies a little closer…

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:42 pm

Waking in the dark, roused by something she could not determine, the first thing to impinge on her awareness was pain. She hurt. There were enough large and small pains for almost her every move to cause some. But that was a good thing, she thought as she gently stretched, thinking over the day's happenings.

Some things could be questioned. Some could be mistaken for another. And some could be lies. But this many things all pointing the same way? All her doubts had been put to rest. While she was almost certain he had held back, he hadn't done so about anything important. Gods, he had hit so hard...! What had happened to the man she used to know to change him that much...?

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:33 pm

The silence of the night was intermittenly broken with the roar of natures most curious beast. It wasn't the typical howl of a wolf, nor any lion, tiger or even bear. No, this was a hollering for the very claims of angish that befell the beast.

Somewhere in all of it, was the breaks between where voices echoed soundly after. Giving voices to a fight between beast and man. Or was it really. It was hard to say, but those with ears keen to the languages of the world could have easily made out the tongue. One moment it was clearly an orc, the next and elf. Both locked in a tug of words, warring on a matter those outside of it wouldn't entirely understand.

This would increase in ten-fold, then twice that. Until it came to a horrible loud call of both pain and victory. When the final silence came, only one sound could be heard intermixed with it. A strong cry, not of beast, but of babe. Born under pain and stars.

With an arm heavy laden the red-headed mother of nature leaned over and handed the babe wrapped only in the furs of her mother to the proud worrisome father. Rising up she spoke to the orc-an-elf mother, praising her strange friend of no shared tongue. Before simply leaving them alone.

"He's strong.. I did not think it a he.. I have not usually been wrong.." Kale spoke tiredly in the dim light of the large round tent that form their home. "He looks much like you. This pleases me."

The babe with three very different bloodline curled, flailed and peered bravely around. Always trying to come to focus on the large face over his head.

"You'll have to think of a good name when hes old enough.. it's the father's place to decide." Kale closed her eyes and seemed to find little relief from the throws of pain she had experienced. "I need rest.. I need my herbs."

"I think I can handle him for a bit." Devon beamed with an expression very typical of him. Joy, mixed with pride that only comes from the pocession of your first born.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:34 pm

The Hin was staring at that lead lined wooden chest again. She hadn't looked inside since the first experience with it. Not afraid, she told herself. Not afraid of it, just avoiding it for pragmatic reasons. It's knowledge was painful but tempting, and yet she had other responsibilities. At least for a few more weeks she did. The thought sent a hand roaming across her belly.

"Should probably disclose at least a little of that with my associate.. I'm sure it'll either brook caution, or enthusiasm."

She winced a little from a sharp kick in there. Looking uncomfortable, glancing around the room. She felt the malicious little creature there. Bonded to her as it was the malice wasn't quite directed at her so much as at everything, and he could be very patient when power was concerned. They had that in common.

"I know you're in here Ahl'zarde. I need something hot to soak my feet in, some blueberries, and about two more pillows."

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Dev was aware of her stirring before she actually arose. It was very early in the morning but he had been aware of her getting restless for the last hour or so. She rose in the darkness and he could see her rise. He could see her perfectly though it was clear she was only vaguely aware of the surroundings. He could tell from her gait that she was sore from the sparring match they had earlier that night and he felt a small twinge of guilt.

He set that aside as she began to stretch in the darkness, he couldn’t allow emotion to get in the way of what he had done or would continue to do. It was important that she be capable and know her limitations and to at least be aware of his own capabilities so that she could trust them. She had died once because he had fled and the pain and shame of that defeat had remained with him like a bag of sand he carried with him everywhere. He was trying to set the bag down and leave it behind. He was also trying to ensure that if she ever faced anything like she had before by herself again, that she could send the creature to whatever reward it deserved.

Still he had held back…he had never entered the dance of the dervish. He could not help but smiling though, she had connected on a strike against him there had been very little effect yet she had landed a blow against him and that was to be commended. He smiled more broadly it had been fun and in the end he thought brought some resolution to many of the unasked questions between them or that plus what happened later. Dev lay back and continued to watch her stretch in silence.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 am

He sat there at his desk, going over his personal notes about the icy shards, the Wyllowoods, his personal experiences in the Sewers below Waterdeep, his travels into the Ardeep forest, and his experiences near death too (dire wolf chew toy, exploding glyphs,free falling in the air,the examples could go on forever and then some)!!

Frowning, he considered the possibility of not finishing some of his personal goals. Sarafina nudged against his neck while she sat on his shoulders, as if reassuring the Half-elf that they would be alright. He reached up and scratched under Sarafina's chin, there was no need of any words between the two of them. After a few moments of scratching, his familiar settled back down on his shoulders to drift off to sleep.

He returned his attention to his notes, adding a note here or there as he went through the papers slowly. It was good to remember what has happened to himself, one can never know when his time is up! He stopped at the notes about the pseudodragon familiar, he frowned again wondering if he should invest his time into that or not.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Loth'Gar Journal Entry 24: Winter Maintenance

Loth'Gar crouched low on the roof of a small, two story homestead. The weather was fair, which was just as well. Had there been a misty or rain within the last twenty four day the slate roof would have become treacherous to even an accomplished climber. As it was there was enough traction that the large half-orc could keep his balance without much fear of a plunge to the cobbles below. Which was only a good thing.

Unlooping the steel crowbar from his belt, he went to work prying the broken slates lose. He must make quite a sight, and in all honesty he had half expected someone to call the Watch by now. Anyone looking up from the right angle would see a wiry rogue dressed in his thieving leathers breaking into a house in a reasonably peaceful neighbourhood of the Docks. As it was it was actually a home owner conducting routine maintenance on his residence. With the fair weather there had been little to worry about, but all too soon the colder and wetter months would be upon them and that meant rain and (possibly) leaking roofs. As he slept on the second story, the prospect of a leaking roof right above the bed was not a pleasant one. He worked the lead seal loose and pulled the offending tile free. Probably cracked in the heat, it wouldn't be water proof, and living in a coastal city that was a matter of some importance.

Reaching into the basket hanging against his other hip, he selected a nice tidy looking slate tile, slotting it neatly into the lead sealant where the culprit had been. Gently, as the tiles were somewhat delicate if mistreated, he tapped the lead down with a wooden mallet, sealing the tile in place and the water out. Standing up as straight as he was able, he wiped his brow. While the weather was cooling, the sun and the heat from the roof made it thirsty work. Too bad he'd not thought to bring a skin. He had half expected to be finished in under the hour, but as it turned out one broken tile was not so easy to see on a roof with so many of them. He sighed. Something he did almost out of habit now. Well that was that. No point stopping now, he had another few feet of roof to do, then he could get down and maybe head out for some mid day refreshments.

With the adventuring slowing down in recent months, he was finally able to make time for these menial tasks. He actually quite enjoyed it, truth be told. It made a change, and an honest day's labour was good for the soul. His business still kept him occupied a lot of the time, but the workers were all very competent and used to the work by now, so he didn't have as much of a hand in it as he once did. He still got stuck in when they had a deadline to meet or a heavy workload, but more often than now they waved him off and pointed to the accounts book… which Loth'Gar had declared his nemesis and found a point of doing anything else to avoid. A good thing when Camilla was doing them. That saved him from an awful lot of excuses.

Okay, a few more feet to go now. He bent over again, studying the next tile for cracks, chips of breaks in the relatively smooth surface. Nope. Next.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Journal Entry 5:
Diary of a suicidal stranger, confiscated by Elliot Glendale after he prevented the suicide attempt.

19 Elesias 1382 DR
Business went poorly when food didn’t grow. We scrapped together all our dragons, silvers, and coppers just to bargain for a season’s worth of seeds. The drought struck, and we begged and borrowed to have enough seeds to grow the following year. When money flows and things grow, everybody appreciates the role of simple peasant farmers; when times are hard and commoners go hungry, everyone from nobles on downward blame those who toil the fields night and day.

Times are hard, dear reader. It pains me to watch my children starve, and rumors go that my wife is seeing another man. I don’t know who or what to believe.

News of a ridiculous market scam reached the wards last week. Prices of produce have jumped every which way, and yet, I am no better than before. It’s as if Talos punctured a hole in Chauntea’s glory—a hole the size of my family and farm.

With barren fields, I had little else to offer than our goat and our cow; the sacred offerings rose to the heavens unheard. I have little purpose left in life now, and all has failed. Tomorrow I plan to make the greatest sacrifice of all to the gods, so my children might have a better tomorrow.

20 Elesias 1382 DR
May the stars forever shine upon the kind soul who stopped me.

At the top of the Plinth I stood, arms outstretched, and tears pouring. I closed my eyes for several minutes, enjoying my last breaths—or so I believed.

“It doesn’t have to end this way,” shouted a voice from below. I looked down, and a man with an intense gaze seemed to stare into my soul. I felt confused and slightly annoyed, my final moments interrupted by some stranger.

“Who do you think you are?” I called back. “You don’t understand, my sacrifice is for a noble cause!”

I will never forget the look on his face. Hands on his hips, the brave fool started disparaging my beliefs while I stood in that precarious spot. “YOU don’t understand what it’s like to live without a father, without a mother. You think your sacrifice is noble? Damnation on Earth, that’s what it is!”

A chill ran down my spine, but the tears now flowed because of joy. The damned fool was right. I got down on my knees and started praying, praying to bless the man’s soul, praying for the good fortune of my family, praying to repent to Chauntea for all the misdeeds I have done, and praying that no other man would ever again experience suffering like my own. When they carried me away, I just couldn’t stop laughing.

Seekerthefallen

PreviousNext

Return to In Character Roleplaying