Little Lamia Lost

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Little Lamia Lost

Postby Seekerthefallen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 am

Little Lost Lamia:

Basically, this is a easy opportunity to make a little exp and gold. This is how it works. I'm going to write out a Story Start. Your going to finish it, using one of your characters. You can only use one of your characters period for this. SInce I have not a lot of time to run, consider this a Scene. That I'm doing a different sort of way.

Rules:
Obvious: 1 submission per player.

Here is the fun part: In this little scene. You and Another player can collaborate. You must make it clear who typed what. Agree to the same idea, story. And have permission to write for/about that other character. You can use (S)(M)(C) The first letters of your name at the beginning of your paragraphs. Just try to do equal parts and be fair.

(S) Sally buys a house.
(B) Billy hates it and burns it down.
(S) Sally turns him into the watch.
(B) Billy is a sad panda. He meets Frank. Frank wants to be his friend.
(F) Frank is a happy panda.

Keep in mind the rules of the site: Your submissions should follow the basic rules, which are pretty straightforward. The only major rule for this is ( nothing explicit/cybersexual in nature).

Do not write something that would be impossible. Do not send me a story about ten dragons, you slayed. Etc. Your character should be in a setting appropriate for them.
YOU MUST STICK to the theme of the Story I started.
Must be at least 3 paragraphs long. You can submit more, but don't write me a novel.

You're called to the house of one of the local Noble houses, for a matter of upmost importance. Seems the good Lords daughter Lamia has gone missing. She was set in a carriage along with her bodyguard Glax. He explains that he thinks something terrible must have happened, because he heard no word in days. She was suppose to reach the house of another Noble by the nights end. Her bodyguard is incredibly dedicated to his work, so since there is no word from him either. He really feels foulplay is at hand.

Although, he has not recieved a ransom he thinks the worst and maybe she was kidnapped. She was suppose to be married to another local nobleman in the city, and bring a union between houses. Long standing has there been a feud.

Though, it takes you some time you get word of a carriage wreckage outside of the city. What remains of it is a charred frame and corspes. They appear to be humaniod, but you aren't entirely sure. There are various items strewn about, but nothing you can use or take.

Just in the short distance two of the four carriage horses are still wandering around.

The only lead from this point is a trail, leading into the woods but it could be from anyone. There are clear hoove prints in a hurry...

He sends you off with a few others, various people within the house to help you.
Stella, a human cleric. Theris a stout dwarven fighter, Relin a half-elf ranger, and finally Maryin a powerful sorceress and her trusty snake familiar. You can use them if you want. BUT ONLY these NPCS. It's not mandatory, but it could add to your story.

So this is the point you write up, a little story about what you did. Do you follow the trail and see what is there? Go back and tell the noble about the carriage.. It's up to you. Make it interesting and fun. Those are two suggestions, but there are plenty you can make up.

Please have the submissions by Saturday, Feb 8th at midnight. Or if you make arrangements with me Sunday.

ALL SUBMISSIONS SENT TO FPM ONLY> DO NOT POST THEM HERE.
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Re: Little Lamia Lost

Postby Seekerthefallen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:43 am

I'm going to extend this until next Sat. Given that I only had one submission.

Those of you that get it in today, Sat 08, 2014 will get a tiny bonus.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:02 pm

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d been annoyed by a group of strangers, but this was vastly bringing to mind every other time it had happened. There sure had been many. She glanced across from the carriage, towards the four of them. Occasionally she would notice something slightly off about them, a gesture or even a look between them. It was bad enough she didn’t trust nobles, but the lackey-types they hire were even worse. Each with their own view and plan. It was getting to the point, you couldn't hear the voices in your own head. That was both bothersome and refreshing. Either way the general idea was to leave the city and find some evidence out side of it.

They headed into the forest, and it was sort of another situation she wanted to wait to do. It was dark, and it was getting moist in the air. A storm was raging over their heads, and Zi had to pull her hood up and her cloak around her to keep it out. Always thankful to have such a wonderously magical way to stave off the chill or the heat. It had come in handy and paid back it's price by now.

By this point the group with her had taken up a snake like form.. Theris and Maryin had slipped into the rear, while Shiela and Relis had taken the lead. From this, Zi found herself centered in the midist of them. Not entirely a bad place for her. Sheila was really the only one that talked to her, asked her about her family, and seemed overall quite pleasant. It was a nice sort of distraction. She continued to chat like this relaxing finally and perhaps even letting her guard down a bit.

It was probably the worst of the things she could have done, because she didn’t see the strike from behind. The thump was surprisingly less effective than Theris must have expected. The mace just bounced off her head, it still did the work. She was down, but not quite out. Surprisingly tough flesh, that did no less then reflect an almost metallic quality. "Damn yer head is as hard as a anvil forge. Should I whack her again?"

"Heavens mercy no. You promised you weren't going to hurt her!" Sheila pleaded and stopped Theris. The dwarven male grumbled something, but didn't try again.

“Mother of the mistres-“Even as she tried to rise to the attack and repel it, she was tackled. Arms were bound, while her face was pressed into the wet dirt. “You’re making a big mistake. “

Relis gave her a kick and it was sound enough to make a point, though it really didn’t hurt her as much as it did the person that did it. "Ribs are hard as steel."

“Just be quiet and gag her before she starts casting out.” Maryin said as she pointed down at Zi. "Don't want her poofing out of here, before we are finished with her.

It was the gag, and then an old sack. It was hard to make out who said what or who's hands were in the process of trying to strip her of anything magically yuseful. Perhaps, they were thieves. That would be a job short lived, she told herself. There is not enough miles they could take her things, that she couldn't get them back. Surely, they would have thought about that.

The sack though, twice as bad as being gagged really smelled of rotted out oats and hay. Some sort of feed bag long forgot in use, until today. Rather unfitting for her head, such a dainty thing and the smell would ruin any sweetness she'd laid on it.

By the time she found a seat on the floor, her arms had been looped over some sort of post in the ground. The sound of the rain was getting louder, but she was mostly dry thanks to the cloak. She could tell now that her items were missing. At least the ones they could find easy enough. Her armor was still place, probably because they couldn't find out how to get it off with her tied up in such a way.

"I can handle it from here." That was Relis, she could tell him from the rest. It was that darkness in his voice, the way it made even her worry just a little.

"You don't forget your promise. You won't hurt her-"

"Lamia, come on. Leave him." Did she hear that right, but that voice was Sheila's. Now it makes a little more sense. There was certainly no kidnapping, at least not of Lamia. She could hear the sounds of people leaving, then the erie silence that followed.

The sack was pulled up, and she could finally take in the sight of the dome like tent around her. It was her place in the center; the four of them were reduced to just the ranger for now. He walked over and knelt down speaking to her in elven. “So, I’m going to take this out of your mouth. If I even think about casting a spell, I’m going to cut out your tongue. Don't worry I think I have a knife sharp enough.” Reaching out, he pulled on the gag. Getting it out of her mouth and staying there close. “I’m sure your pretty cross, but I think you will understand how it works here. You just sit there, and do what I tell you and you’ll be home in no time.”

“Or I blast your face off. “ She replied with a harsh tone that didn’t have the same effect it would have had before. “What am I doing here, you better start talking. I have a short fuse for bullshit.” Her stare went from bright green to vivid amethyst and showed her power churning within. "You know what I am going to do to you, when I get free? I'm going to blast a hole as big as a-"

He arched a brow, perhaps he didn’t quite expect this pretty little youngling elf maiden threatening him. So cut her short with a finger to her lips. The softest touch seemed to have the right effect, because she fell into a hard-dark stare but quieted. “Listen, not speak.” When her look turned to utter defiance he grew impatient. Reaching out and grabbing her ear, the grip applied was intentionally painful. It did the trick to subdue her, but she made no noise to express the discomfort. “Now, you need to be quiet now. I have a few things I like to talk to you about, and I don’t enjoy interruptions.”

She glared at him, but for the moment she didn’t talk. Her hands were busy taking up the effort, “Thank you Howard.” She thought to herself, as the smallest sliver of wood was being used to work the lock on her manacles. “Who said I never pay attention.”

“Good.” He let her ear go and patted her face, a bit rough. Then stood up, “I will cut to the chase, not wanting to take up too much of your time.” He smirked a bit, and started to think about how to put his thoughts. “Your husband is a very influential gentleman, but he lacks a certain allegiance if you would.” Kneeling down again, and gently patting her head. “So, my dear lord wanted to help him along with a decision. A very important one. You see my dear youngling, your husband doesn’t seem to want to be our special merchant and give us the discount we need to get an edge on our neighbors.” His hand moved to grip her chin, and didn't relent the hold as she tried to free it. "It's simple really. I'm sure he will be liken to listen once I tell him of how I have a guest."

“So, you kidnapped me to extort him?” She sighed and shook her head. “He’s going to kill you, if I don’t first.” Looking around the place and back to him. “I am going to assume, there is no kidnapping here, except me. Right, I should have seen this coming. This is why I don’t work with damn nobles.” She was trying to get him to talk more, anything to give herself more time to work the locks. Wood wasn't exactly as good as a steel lockpick, but she was already formulating a good plan. One that needed only a little more time.

He reached for her ear again, holding it tightly as he found himself once more reaching for his dagger, “Maybe I should send your ear along with the letter. You think he would come sooner?” She winced a bit, and then tried to get her ear free, the dagger came down and he tried to cut at it, but her skin was too tough for something as simple as a common dagger. “What the hell is the deal with you?” Sawing at the flesh, and though it made no cut. It was still painful in the look on her face gave that away.

“I’m made of metal you idiot. “ Good enough excuse, but it didn’t get her ear free. “You want his attention. Bring my bag over, pull out that little black stone in my front pocket. I will call him. I will tell him to come here and you two can talk this over. Okay, let go of my ear.”

"I bet not everything is that hard." He held the ear, and tucked the dagger back into his boot. She made a note of it, but it didn't help her. With the second hand free, he glanced over her. The armor would make any vile exploration impossible, thankfully. "Your pretty, that is if your into children. Tempting though." He did his best to frisk her a bit, but it wasn't really going to get him anywhere. "Metal on metal."

Finally Relis looked to her bag, and then back at her. Letting go of her ear, he walked over and dug around into her bag. After a few minutes he collected her Sending Stone and brought it over. “What is this?” He turned the item over a few times. It was mudane in appearance, though magical to the trained eye. A simple means in which for husband and wife to have conversations even at great distances.

“Just put it near my head will you.” He did what she asked and she momentarily rubbed her face on it, and then waited. “Hey Enn, Are you busy? I have a bit of a problem; you think you can help me with. I am getting really hungry out here, while I search. Suppose you could send Salad? I know, I know I always get into hunger problems. No, you don't have to worry about it. Shouldn't be to much longer. I appreciate that, Thanks.” Something was said in Abyssal so quietly, it was almost unheard. The stone was moved away from her and gave her a flat look. "What?"

"You called him and ordered a salad? You didn't bother to mention your kidnapped, or that I am going to mess your face up bit by bit, until he shows up. Or worse, you might like worse. I'm sure a child like you hasn't had a real good time. He needs to show up and makes the damn deal."

"He is sending over Salad himself. Shouldn't be long now. Then you can have your way."

“Good I will certainly be ready for him.” He flipped the dagger around in his hand, catching it and tossing it. “He’s a real fool for meeting me here, in my playground.” Walking around the tent now, circling around the place and eyeing her. “You’re so young and pretty. Seems sort of a waste.” His attention, male-bias and probably male-driven had him pausing to stare at her. It wasn't entirely something she wasn't used to, the old body got that all the time. Just in this body, she wanted it left so much intact with it's natural modesty. His leering made her actually feel dirty and disqusted. "Why the look?"

"I think you know why. Don't you get any ideas, I will burn it off." She was certain, there was at least a few more minutes left before she would have proper company to rescue her, if she didn't save herself sooner. Thankfully, she wasn't afraid of him. No man would ever make her afraid like her old Master did.

"You shouldn't be so fiesty like that." He made tish noises and waggled a finger, passing close enough to touch her ear and tweek the tip. "You're mine until I say otherwise." He seemed to enjoy his little acts, and stared intently into her eyes, but it was he who had to turn away as her eyes turned bright pink. "Child, your to much."

“Yeah, I hear that a lot.” She looked to him with a cold stare, “I’m going to enjoy what happens to you..” Glancing around, and then continued to work the lock on the manacle. It took longer then she expected, but it popped open. “Oh, hey honey!” Noticing the huge shadow that formed on the outside of the tent. Sounding excited as she directed the man’s attention towards the door.

The ranger-bandit turned, and before he could react the entire tent was flug up and off of them. Leaving him with a full view of the nine foot plus armor formed creature glaring down at him through slits in the armor. "What the ..." Stumbling back a few feet, and looking upwards in surprise. It was clear, he'd been completely startled. As the thing moved closer, he let out a holler.

"Salad, be a dear and plant this guy so deep in the ground the worms can use his ears as a passageway." She spoke rather firmly but fondly to the monster. The giant armored skeleton beast made no noise, but nodded only in the slightest. Could have just been the armor shifting over the skull.

It certainly was something to see, standing damn near nine feet and a few inches. Dressed from head to toe in the better pieces of splint mail, there was just the inclination of a large lumbering giant skeleton under all of it. Salad appears to be from the shape to be once an ogre and further more from the armor's cut. It's identy was apparently female at one time.

“I’m sorry you didn’t really hear the conversation we had. Something wonderfully good about speaking Abyssal is that no one can understand you. He will not be coming, he doesn’t need to be involved in what I am planning to do to you.” A slight smirk, and she added in. “He’s doing his part, which is speaking to his Noble along with the Watch. I think by the time I get back into town, things are going to be really unpleasant for you and him.”
The ranger tried to run, but Salad even for a big giant monster had strides that crossed much bigger spans. Closing in on him, with a large swipe he was knocked down, "enough..mercy.."

"You wouldn't have given it to me." She growled back, and then looked at Salad. "Round them all up. We are going into town."

By the time she returned to the town, there was a few Watch ready to get the ranger out of her hands. He was wearing the manicles and looking a little roughed up. As for Salad, the giant had be left just a bit down the road out of thre general view of public. Though, there was something to be said about how scary Runa's pet was.

Relis kept chanting something about a giant Salad monster, and the others seemed unwilling to remark on the same thing. They just made themselves look more crazy with every description.

"I have no idea, what they are talking about!" Zi said with the most innocent look ever, "I didn't see anything like that. They had great guilt and turned themselves in. Expecially Lamia, she was not wanting to do it from the beginning. She should be returned to her mother, she's barely older then me."

With that and her statements, the youthful elven maid moved back to where her husband was waiting for her. He was giving her a bit of a look, having overheard all of the story she'd given the Watch. She walked over to where Enialas stood with a half proud-half smirk on his face. “What, I behaved.” Leaning over and kissing him.

“I didn’t say a word.” Enialas said reaching out to pull her in and just for his own sake, briefly check her over. He found the rubbed raw area near her ear and the lump on the back of her head."Your going to have to let me check on all this, and where did you leave the 'Salad'."

“I’m fine. Though, my head is still thundering from the idiots hitting me over the head.” Rubbing her temples a bit, “How about a bath, some wine and relaxing. That is where I keep extra 'Salads." Reaching out she hooked her arm around his. "Only thing that drove me nuts, is how he kept calling me a child. " Muttering a bit under her breath about it. "I'm hardly a child, you know?"

“I think you forget how young you are. Your body looks pretty young, even for an elf your age. That is probably more to do with your, special heritage.” He paused as the Watch Captain came over to ask Ziandra a few more question, bemused about how she could easily play the little victim. He made note to see to this Salad, at least for now the thing is owed a thank you. As much as it was a pain sort of thing, it had uses. Once this was over, he led her towards the shop. “So then. Have you learned your lesson?”

“Why is everything a lesson to you?” She made a face at him.

“Funny, Howard says the same thing.”

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 pm

The disappearance of Lamia

You're called to the house of one of the local Noble houses, for a matter of utmost importance. Seems the good Lords daughter Lamia has gone missing. She was set in a carriage along with her bodyguard Glax. He explains that he thinks something terrible must have happened, because he heard no word in days. She was suppose to reach the house of another Noble by the nights end. Her bodyguard is incredibly dedicated to his work, so since there is no word from him either. He really feels foul play is at hand.

Although, he has not received a ransom he thinks the worst and maybe she was kidnapped. She was suppose to be married to another local nobleman in the city, and bring a union between houses. Long standing has there been a feud.

Though, it takes you some time you get word of a carriage wreckage outside of the city. What remains of it is a charred frame and corpses. They appear to be humanoid, but you aren't entirely sure. There are various items strewn about, but nothing you can use or take.

Just in the short distance two of the four carriage horses are still wandering around.

The only lead from this point is a trail, leading into the woods but it could be from anyone. There are clear hoof prints in a hurry...

"So, what do you think?" Loth'Gar ask from his perch on the ruined carriages driving seat. Face crinkled in a thoughtful look, Relin paces a couple more times around the wreckage, stopping both times at the horse prints that lead off into the forest. Theris just stood near by, holding the small band of ponies that carried them to this place. He stomps his feet a couple of times before cursing loudly, remembering what the diligent ranger had said about disturbing the scene. Stella shoots him a wink and a mischievous grin, chewing a little at the side of her mouth. Her companions recognise this as a sign that she's both tense and bored. Always a bad combination in the sprightly young cleric. Maryin sighed loudly and with obvious frustration. "What on earth is taking so long Relin??" She fumed at the ranger. "A child of two winters could see plain as the leaves on the trees that her attacker carried her into the forest by horse after he killed all her guards." She began pacing, close enough to the tracks to get a click and shoo of annoyance from Relin, who still studied them intently, as though they were telling him a long story. And perhaps they were doing just that thought Loth'Gar. The half-elf had an almost supernatural ability when it came to forest craft. In fact, he had been the one to first teach Loth'Gar the very basics of survival outside of the stone jungle he called home. He surveyed his mottly band. He'd known all of them for at least a year now, with the beautiful but fierce Maryin being the most recent addition to their band. In fact this had caused more than a little friction between the group. When Maryin had been selected as the mage of the group there had been some disagreement, with Stella being the most vocal of the opposition. I wonder why that was. he thought. Maybe it has something to do with her looks... which made him blush a little when he realised he was staring. Looking sharply away Loth'Gar saw Theris smirking, but no one else seemed to be paying much attention. He poked his tongue out at the dwarven warrior, glad the dim light of evening hid his burning face. Torn from his pondering, he himself gave a silent sigh. While a brilliant outdoorsman, the impatient and rash rogue often failed to understand how Relin could stare at the ground for over thirty minutes like that. In fact Maryin had suggested and then tried insisting that the ranger not accompany them on this trip for that precise reason. They needed to move quickly if they had any hope of finding Lamia alive and Relin was too slow, too methodical for a fast pursuit. As the sorcerer continued to pace and show her impatience, Theris scratched at something in his bears and Stella practically shook with barely contained energy, he reluctantly spoke up. "Relin, I know you take this seriously, and Ilmater bless you for that" at the name of her god Stella paused a moment "but it seems obvious that the trail leads into th woods, and light is fading fast. We need to hurry if we've any hope of... of finding her." He left the rest to hang there. There was silence as everyone waited for a response. Even Maryin stopped pacing to see what the ranger would say. Relin seemed not to notice, carefully poking one of the horses prints with a stick. Loth'Gar opened his mouth to ask again just as Maryin did, but before either of them could utter a word, Relin said softly. "She's not in the forest. Of that I am sure." The moment he finished that Maryin blurted out "That's preposterous, ridiculous, we can all see the trail clear as day! Come on, lets go before we lose any more light. Theris, Loth'Gar, come!" Theris looked please to be doing something and started stomping towards the woods with the sorcerer, but the half-orc and Stella paused, unsure. "Relin is a tracker of great renown, I'm sure he isn't mistaken." Stella spoke with a hint of the old hostility creeping into her tone. The dwarf and dusky skinned human paused, Maryin going rigid. Like a cat. Thought Loth'Gar, before dismissing the odd notion.

Whirling around she hissed "The more time we waste debating this worse the odds get! I was paid to find a spoilt brat who likely ran away because she couldn't appreciate all she had. That's it." Stella began to rely, her tone rising steadily as she found an outlet for that pent up energy. Maryin responded in kind. Theris covered his ears and muttered loudly about women and how you could never trust a clean shaven woman. Sensing the rapidly impending conflict and the aftermath of the last one (they were still trying to get those scorch marks out) Loth'Gar stepped forward, motioning for calm and trying to mediate between the two women. Relin stood a little to the side, not enjoying the noise one bit and wincing as more voices were added to the mix.

It took them a few minutes to notice, but suddenly the shouting, stomping and cursing ceased abruptly. They all turned, utter silence reigning and stared dumbly. Relin was eighty foot away and heading back along the path they had ridden out on, his face carefully studying the ground as he went. In mute silence they followed, all thoughts from those heated moments gone. They gathered behind the half-elf and slowly walked back to Waterdeep, the ponies following lazily a few feet behind, forgotten but loyal. It was slow going, especially with the awkward silence that had descended. On reflection it all gives us time to cool off and gather our thoughts. Reflected Loth'Gar, scratching absently at a small patch of discoloured skin on his neck, the legacy of a slow fading curse. After about an hour Stella's face had gone from red to it's normal pale with a light smattering of freckles. "Sorry." She murmured, looking straight ahead. Maryin remained quiet for a moment before replying "No, it is I who am sorry. Sorry to you all." As old bridges were mended Theris visibly relaxed and Loth'Gar felt a small knot in his neck he hadn't realised was there ease. The rest of the way was silent, but in the way dear friends are when what needed to be said was voiced.

For his part Relin lead them with nary a word. Back to The River Gate (and straight past the guards, whom Loth'Gar had to quickly sooth, lest they arrest him right there and then), down a few near empty streets at this hour, down a dark alley way or two (again where only their formidable appearance and reputation allowed them to avoid trouble) and through several more streets. "You're sure about this?" Loth'Gar asked as he eyed the more familiar surroundings of the Docks. "Yes, quite sure. I read several tracks, faint mind, they've been covered most carefully." the ranger relied, almost as though speaking to himself. Down Lackpurse Lane… and right into the back of Relin who had come to a halt on the left side of the street. They entered a small courtyard, several grim looking buildings making up the surrounds. Relin paused but a moment before strolling to one door, this one quite well maintained and freshly painted. Putting his finger to his lips he signalled the others for silence before slipping inside. They each followed in single file, with the ranger leading, Loth'Gar a close second, Stella holding the centre and Maryin a few paces back. As was usual when stealth was needed, Theris took the rear, trying his hardest not to stomp and give them away.

The building was dark but clean enough. Whoever owned it (if indeed it was still claimed) had at least seen that it was clean and reasonably maintained. Through the narrow hallway they trod, silent at the front and more noise at the back. Loth'Gar listened intently and Relin seemed to do the same. While these two, and undoubtedly Theris at the rear, could see in the near dark of the dimly moon lit house, Stella and Maryin were practically blind. Another good reason they should bring up the center of the party. After a few seconds they heard a rough cough, off toward the right hand door Loth'Gar thought. Catching Relin's eye, he pointed that way and received a nod of confirmation. Giving a tap to Stella's shoulder, who passed it back to Theris, they edged up to the door and cracked it open. At the far end of the room they could see a dim light and two rather clean men in well maintained leathers joking over a a small table and a hand of cards. A lone candle lit the space, the rest of the rooms end obscured by barrels. Loth'Gar and Relin padded forward silent as a mouse on a mission for food. They slowly their swords free, one thick and somewhat crude, the other deathly thin and black as night. They crept forward, hoping to see what these men were up to…

A resounding CRASH! made them both jump, though the two playing card jumped perhaps the highest! A "Oops…" from Maryin followed quickly after. Well trained, the two guards recovered quickly and draw long swords, plain but well made. One spoke a word and suddenly the room was flooded with light. Loth'Gar squeezed his eyes shut and jumped aside and he heard Relin do the same. A whistle told him he had just saved his head and a responding THUNK! reminded him why he and Relin chose shorter blades in the city. He heard a curse, but his eyes were still shut against the sudden light. He feared the rest of the party fared no better, while the guards who had light were at a distinct advantage. "What are you doing…!" he heard before a gargle issued somewhere to his right. There was a flurry of sound followed by the clash of steel for several seconds before he heard Stella swear something fierce and then gasp. Another thud and then a booming crack before all was silent. Tears streaming from his eyes, Loth'Gar risked a quick glance, seeing black spots but able to make out the scene as he stood. Relin was slumped at an awkward angle on the floor. His breathing showed he was alive but must have hit his head in the wild dive. Stella was down and bleeding from a terrible slash down her side. She appeared to be out to. Great, the healer needs healing. Loth'Gar thought, beginning to move forward, reaching for a potion. The two guards lay dead, one a crossbow quarrel poking from his eye, the other staring into whatever lay beyond death. The second seemed to have taken a luck hit from Stella's iron shod club and was soundly sleeping it off. Maryin stood, a spent crossbow hanging limply at her side. She dropped it to the floor with a clatter. Theris pushed past, his own eyes squinting in the stinging light. He reached Stella and raised her gently. "Easy does it. Bring that potion her, she still alive. A strong one she always was. Ilmater's not done with ye yet girl." Concern for the worst of his wounded friends led Loth'Gar forward. Maryin stood mutely, watching as they went to administer aid. She raised her hands in a casting to dispel the light while Loth'Gar unstoppered the tiny metal vial. "Sorry." Maryin said suddenly. Loth'Gar barely had time to glance up before his world exploded in searing flames. Unable to cry out he rolled more from instinct than any coherent thought. The world went black and he heard Theris roar before he heard nothing else.

He awoke in a world of pain. Blinded, he though, for I can see nothing. Where is Therin? Where is Stella, Relin? Where is… Maryin. That though bought back all sorts of emotions and memories. What had happened? A casting gone wrong? He stretched out an arm, whimpering as he felt hard, leathery skin crack. He reached out, a little further, further still… His hand came to rest on a supple and well made boot. Mayin's boot. "Where are the others, what happened?" He asked, his mind still reeling from the loss of consciousness and the pain that clouded all else. He felt her bend down level with him, coming closer, the soft caress of her velvet dress, the cool touch of her hand on his hot neck. "I'm so sorry. It wasn't supposed to go this way. If only Relin had followed the false trail, found the body I had prepared…" She trailed off, leaving the bewildered half-orc to try and make sense of it. "But, but…" He croaked off, his scorched throat not able to make any more sound. He didn't under stand. Even with his face half ruined that must have show. "Don't you see?" Whispered Maryin, softly, seductively. Had the situation been different Loth'Gar may have found it alluring. "I was going to wear her form, take her place. She didn't know what she had, that ungrateful BITCH!" Now the words were hissed, venom and hatred Loth'Gar had not heard the likes of before. "I would have replaced her, become noble, something denied to me because of unlucky birth! She is to blame, it's her fault we are like this! Damn it all to the hells!" And suddenly her cool, soft hands were wrapped around his neck with the force of steel. He choked and began to squirm, though he could manage no strength in his struggle. "It's not too late! I can still pull this off! NO one will ever know! You can never know. Farewell Loth'Gar, you always were so naive and trusting. A good friend though…" And he began to see stars, the first things since he had awoken. Maryin's fanatical babble faded with his life, until he could hear no more… When suddenly the pressure was gone and he reflexively gulped as much air as his damaged lungs could take. Hearing returned, enough for him to hear a ragged but throaty "Now bitch burn in the Pits!" followed by a sickening SNAP! and the thunk of a body. Second later a second thunk followed. Several minutes passed before he was coherent enough to probe a second metal vial from his bandoleer. He downed the cool liquid, then a second. Sight returned, his flesh cooled and he felt a shoulder he never even felt pop back into place. Rising and looking around, he surveyed the carnage. Maryin lay at his feet, her shocked and staring face sitting on a neck bent at an angle too sharp. Over her legs lay Theris, the back half of his head just.. gone, his hands bony and fleshless, his… he looked away then, struggling to hold back tears. Relin lay to one side, eyes open and staring, a yellow bruise around his neck. Stella lay where she had fallen, now blackened all over, but Theris must have taken the brunt of the attack. No, betrayal he reminded himself. It was too late for Relin and Theris, but he may save Stella yet. Quickly he stumbled towards her, pouring another potion down her throat. Shallow breathing, but a little colour returned to her face. Silently he prayed over her and his fallen comrades, though he couldn't bring himself to pray for Maryin. That wound was too new, too confusing. Prayed and for Stella to heal. Eventually she murmured and looked around. "The girl… did we find her? There was a flash and I remember being blinded. The guards… OH GODS NO!" She wailed, catching sight of the others. Carefully Loth'Gar lifted her and carried her out into the hallway. Again the heavy duty weighed across his shoulders. Returning to the room he carefully passed the bodies, trying not to look. Past them, to the upturned table and beyond. In the corner lay the small form of a pretty young girl. He noted she breathed but appeared to be asleep. Drugged maybe. Maryin must have needed her alive for whatever ritual would morph their forms and allow her to Lamia's likeness. Lifting her gently he left the room behind, strolling quickly and with purpose to every stride. In the hallway he was joined by a limping but up and awake Stella. No words were spoken. They marched out into the night and through the streets of the city. The late night denizens moved aside as they passed. Even the boldest must have sensed something was not right and offered no trouble, nary a word. A few even ducked their heads, perhaps recognising the pair or that a great tragedy had occurred that night. All the way to North Ward in utter silence. To the very doors of the large, lavish house. There was no need to bang on the door, the guards they had scattered with a look ran to fetch the Master and Mistress. When they arrived they were full of smiles and relief, but one look at the half-orcs face and they sobered up instantly. He passed the sleeping bundle gently to her father while her mother pressed a large pouch into Stella's hands, the payment earned with blood and lives. Without a word they two pairs turned and walked away. There was no need for gratitude and there was no need for explanation. Both understood perfectly.

It was a dark night. A crowd formed and followed behind the pair as they returned to the Docks. Beggars, merchants, thugs, criminal and ordinary citizens formed a guard as they returned to Lackpurse Lane. They all recognised the half-orc and his friend, servant and friend to the common man. Into the house the pair went, emerging one at a time with bodies. Each was wrapped and lifted in blankets that appeared from somewhere in the small crowd. A honour guard was formed and they marched quietly towards the final resting place of two heroes, and the unmarked grave of one other. It was a dark night in the City of Splendours.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Looking at the burnt remains of what was left of the carriage and bodies. Adolamin chewed his lower lip trying to make sense of all of this. He knew that his family was asked to help find Lamia, and of course, Adolamin was picked to appease the family that dealt business with the Massalan’s. Thinking to himself as he looked at the others in the search party, “The only reason the Massalan’s sent me is because of the large amount of jewelry that family buys from us.” Shaking his head, Adolamin glanced at the rest of the search party, the Dwarf, Theris, standing guard at a distance facing the woods while the Half-elf Ranger, Relin. scouted in the woods. The Cleric, Stella, was praying for the burnt remains of whoever they once were, while the Sorcereress, Maryin, stood beside Adolamin watching him. It was unnerving that for a search party, he seemed to be watched by these people given to him from the old man of House Ruldegost. For a noble house that dealt with mercenaries, Adolamin didn’t feel safe with these people to watch his back.
“Stella and I casted various spells in this area and didn’t come up with anything helpful lord Massalan. Might I suggest we continue on with the trail that Relin is scouting ahead for us?” Maryin appeared annoyed to be wasting any more time, when they all could be following the trail right now. Standing up and getting his light crossbow out from the side of his backpack, loading it and holding it ready for a hunt, Adolamin looks at Maryin,” Well if you insist, I guess we should catch-up with the Half-elven ranger and see where that leads to.” The only reply from the female sorcereress, “Good, let’s move then.” It really wasn’t that hard to follow the trail, it seemed that the two horses was rushing through the woods, a little reckless but who knows what happened here, Adolamin thought to himself. Finally catching up with Relin, they discovered a mishap campsite with lots of blood and a still smoking small camp fire that was quickly put out. Relin shows everyone the broken shaft of a black feathered arrow,” It appears that they were attacked and seemed to be running. Glax and the others that were with Lamia didn’t use any black shafted feathers. “
Everyone absorbed the information given and started preparing for the worst, Maryin cast some spells on herself quietly, Stella prayed and her hammer seemed to glow with a reddish hue, Theris adjust his hold with his battle axe, while Relin readied an arrow to his short bow and then proceeded to lead the party deeper in the woods. Surprisingly in a short while, Relin hand motioned for a halt/stay put and quiet command, then proceeded on quietly by himself. It felt like hours but Adolamin knew it was merely minutes when Relin quietly came back. Everyone all huddled together, Relin whispered “There’s four hooded thugs holding Lamia prisoner. Glax is bound by his hands hanging from a tree limb, either out cold or dead. I think we can take the four thugs and rescue Lamia with no casualties.” Relin looked at each of the members as they nodded yes, until it was Adolamin’s turn to answer. “Isn’t it strange that we’ve been following the horse tracks but no sign of the thugs?” Theris shook his head and just glared at Adolamin, mumbling in Dwarven. Stella answered quietly, “First we rescue Lamia and then we can figure out how the thugs were able to travel with no telltale tracks for Relin to notice, okay?” Adolamin shook his head, “Fine but if this goes awry, don’t say I didn’t like this idea of charging in.” Stella smiled and nodded, “Good.”
With some quick hand commands among the Ruldegost armsmen, an attack plan was established, glancing at Adolamin, Stella whispered, “Stay behind us and watch out for any surprises, okay.” The other three moved off on their own not even regarding Adolamin. Muttering to himself, “I can feel the love here.” Adolamin waited to the count of 30 before shrugging off his backpack and moving towards the campsite as quietly as he could. Adolamin moved silently like a skilled rogue he was till he was able to see the campsite, watched the attack start with an arrow flying at a thug and knocking the person into the campfire. The thug now aflame started running around, but with sound coming out. Adolamin smiled, muttering “Nice to place the silent spell in the campsite area, Maryin.” “Thank-you.” Came the comment from Maryin who was visible to Adolamin, but then she appeared when a bolt of magic flew from her hand towards another thug that was standing behind Lamia. Theris came out the woods yelling in Dwarven that ended abruptly when he entered the silent campsite, embedding his wicked glowing battle axe into the third thug that appeared to be a humanoid rat when the hood unveiled the face. What happened next took Adolamin’s attention from the battle to besides him as Maryin crumpled to the ground with a black shafted arrow sticking out of her back. Turning Adolamin saw the sniper and returned fire with his crossbow hitting the sniper in the chest full force knocking the person down in the brush. Adolamin pulled the arrow out of Maryin and turned her over. Grabbing his last potion (CLW), Adolamin slowly poured the potion down her throat hoping that would suffice to keep her alive. Standing up and turning to check on the sniper, Adolamin had to dodge a swipe of a long sword aimed for his neck. Going on the defense, Adolamin tumbled away from the attacking were rat that kept swinging at him. Abruptly the were rat stood stiff straight with a look of shock on its rattish face. Taking no chances, Adolamin mumble the only spell he knew of and cast two magic missiles at the were rat. Collapsing to the ground, Adolamin saw what caused the shocked look of the sniper, a burning hole in the back of it that seemed to be getting bigger as he watched. “That’s what an orb of acid does to those thugs.” Maryin stated with a smirk on her face. Adolamin rushed over to Maryin grabbing a hold of her before she collapsed again to the ground. Helping her walk by keeping an arm wrapped around her waist, they both made their way back to their original spots to see what was going on at the campsite. Looking at the campsite, the sounds from there definitely told them the silent spell had ended, with Stella attending to Lamia and Glax, Relin stood watch for any surprises, while Theris looted the bodies after making sure they were dead. Looking up from his last check of the thugs, (Dwarven) “So the cowardly noble brat shows himself.” Maryin snapped back (Dwarven), “Listen you bearded fool, he saved my life and kept the sniper distracted long enough for me to recover enough to put an orb of acid in its back. Now if Stella could help me, I might be able to live without the poison from the arrow killing me first.” Adolamin helped her over to where Stella, Lamia, and Glax were at. Making sure Maryin was comfortable, Adolamin turned around looking at Theris (Dwarven), “This noble brat had your back, even if you wouldn’t watch my back, you stubborn slab of a boulder.” Theris stiffened at first and then let out a hearty deep laugh that got everyone else smiling. “Show me where the other thug fell so I can check out the body and make sure it stays dead too.” Theris waited for Adolamin to answer or lead the way, in which Adolamin did.
While Theris finished chopping the head off the dead sniper, Adolamin began talking out loud, “ So we assume the thugs attacked the carriage carrying Lamia and Glax. They fought off enough to run and the reason we saw no tracks because the thugs were basically following them in animal form. Now why did they attack at all: for the gold, because the feuding house didn’t want to combine the families?” Theris looked up after looting the body, “I don’t know, not do I care also. Let’s round up the party and head back to Waterdeep as soon as we can.”
After returning the lost daughter back to her family alive and well. Adolamin was happy to head back to the Massalan villa to wash away the grime of this search and rescue adventure.

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Howard joined Relin in examining the hoofprints. "Yeah, I think you're right. A blind man COULD follow those," he agrees with the ranger. "But what about when they slow down? Give me a minute and we'll get on it."

Heading back to the charred remains of the caravan, he kneels down beside the cleric who was busy covering one of the charred bodies. Stella, that's right...that was her name. "So, what do we have?"

"They're all men, if a little on the stout side," she says grimly, touching the mark of her goddess. "If there was a girl in the wreckage, she was taken."

He nodded, considering the options. "Alright then. Maryin already went back for the City Watch. Or maybe the Guard, out here. I'd like you to stay here-" he gives a nod to Theris, which is all the stout dwarf needed "-while Relis and I see if the tracks lead to our mark and scout out the trouble."

That agreed, the two stealthy members of the group followed the tracks. As predicted, what had started as wild hoofmarks as the apparent-brigands galloped off with the carriage horses shortly moved to the fainter marks of a slower, sedate pace. Howard backed up and let the half-elf do his job, following and watching everything else but the track they were following.

"At least one horse is carrying two. Maybe more than one," Relis cautioned after a moment. That didn't help much; Howard was already on edge.

For good reason. As they proceeded, they came to a clearing. Staying on the edges of it, they saw four white horses tied up outside a good-sized log hut with a sod roof. Someone had taken enough care of the building to put in windows, which were covered with drapes. Despite that covering and the stout walls, though, you could hear a celebration going on.

"Definitely bandits," Howard murmured as he watched the building.

"What makes you think that?" Relis asked, likewise keeping his voice low.

"Just a few little things. Blood on the tack of one of the horses...could be an oddity, but probably isn't. Ripped fragment of cloth on the post they tied the horses to...looks recent. And that big guy sitting just by the corner with a giant crossbow is a dead giveaway. Time to book."

Relis took a second look and gulped, then followed Howard back along the trail. There the wily young man set him to guard and make sure the bandits did not depart the scene - or if they did, follow and mark their trail. Howard himself went to go rejoin Stella and Theris, finding them with a Guard detachment awaiting their report.

"One log hut filled with disreputable sorts," he says to the captain in charge. "Four decent-looking horses tied outside, and at least one posted guard. Curtains were drawn, so we couldn't get more, but they were certainly having a party." The captain nodded his thanks and moved out, with Maryin, Stella and Theris in tow to provide what aid they could.

Entirely uninterested in a pitched "fair" fight between a Guard unit and a bunch of brigands, Howard instead chose to head back to the noble's house and report progress so far.

Arriving at the entrance, he was mildly puzzled to see a carriage out front and guards swarming over it, but was escorted inside to meet the Lord...who had his arms around a young woman matching the description he had been given.

"Her carriage had been ... delayed," the Lord finally informed his hireling of the facts. "A ... matter of Houses." He apologized in a manner which seemed at least partially sincere, paid Howard a fee of thanks, and left the man at the door. Bemused.

"So...which bunch of brigands did the Guard catch, I wonder...?"

Seekerthefallen

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm

We open upon a site of much disturbance. There lie amid the wreckage and debris signs of struggle, and of murder, and of utter disregard for the fine art of the barbeque. Or so we presume.

"These remains are clearly human." Sayeth Stella, the resident authority on the sight of charred bodies.

"Aye, and nay scrawy enough to be the lass." Comments the dwarf, Theris. Resident authority on the size of lasses.

"And there are two of the horses still here.. Perhaps they can help tell us which way to hoof it." Said Relin, the half-elf who claimed to be a woodsman of some renown. Who was presently approaching one of the two equines and muttering something at them with an intense look on his face.

The last of the four, a human lad by the name of Devon, was staring cockeyed at Relin with an occasional glance to the other two of them as if to confirm he had indeed heard that right. Receiving naught but long-suffering shrugs in return from the two.

"Come! They say this way!" Says, or really more exclaims in flamboyant fashion, the half-elven ranger. Before donning a pair of dark tinted glasses and hauling off into the woods at break-neck (We can only hope) pace.

The other two do not move, nor does Devon. He just blinks again and asks, sounding disbelieving. "Is he humming theme music..?" The other two nod sadly, then look to the ground again.

"Nay any footprints heading out from here.. something's a touch amiss. Some hoof prints though, heading the opposite way o' the 'woodsman' there." Quoth the dwarf, sensible as ever.

"And I still feel an odd trace of magic around the area. Not evocation like you'd figure from what seems to be an explosion, it's more transmutation.." Advised their ever vigilant priestess.

At this point both horses let out a heavy exale and begin trotting off. Stella motions for them to follow the beasts, and the Dwarf and Squire comply. Creeping along at a distance until the horses lead them to a small pond in the woods, where they find a few strewn about hoof prints intermingled with what appear to be discarded items of clothing and broken underbrush.

The idyllic scenario plays out like a scene from.. well, a play. Someone they can only assume must be the bodyguard Glax seems to be bathing with the girl they seek, both of them waist deep in the water and splashing at each other in the pond. Though they are curiously far out to be waist deep.. The reasons for which become apparent when the girl, giggling in the process, rears back on horse legs that she seems to be sporting from the waist down.

We then break for intermission while our brave adventurers get enough gawking out of their system to actually productively effect their tasks one more. Leaving Devon haphazardly approaching the water's edge and speaking "M-Madam? Lady Lamia? We uh, your parents- that is, we were supposed to look for you and ah-"
Around this point the girl and her guard take notice, adopting strange little smiles and starting to amble up out of the water. Leaving Devon faltering mid-thought and trailing off into uselessness.

Luckily Theris picks up where he left off. "Lass, yer folks want te know yer safe. So we're te see ye home. Are ye and yer guard ah.. fit to travel, so to speak? An what happened to ye?"

When they finally stopped approaching the man was equine chest up to the dwarf's face and leaning down. Smiling in a challenging sort of way. "We're fit enough. The question being.. can you keep up?" The thought was apparently shared between them, as Glax and Lamia both take off quickly back toward the city, leaving the three adventurers staring after them again before shrugging to one another and striding back to collect their payment. And hopefully find out just what the blazes happened here from the girl and her guard later.

Walking just out of ear-shot of a figure with gently pointed ears stumbling toward the road, covered in welts and something sticky and quite a lot of tree branches who appeared exhausted and afraid muttering something about "No.. I am not your cub, oh gods wait for me frie-" before being cuffed in the head by something furry and eight feet tall, then dragged off by one leg.

Seekerthefallen

Return to In Character Roleplaying