Three Sheets to the Astral Plane!

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Three Sheets to the Astral Plane!

Postby ManthisFocht » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:33 pm

((I wanted to get this info out sooner rather than later, but please note it may be subject to alterations before we start based on feedback from other DMs))

FIRST SESSION: THURSDAY 3/20/14 at 8 PM EST (we are aiming for weekly scenes on Thursdays moving forward at this same time as well... mark your calendars!)

As Devdan and his motley crew of Tahiri, Tyrani, and Kurik make final preparations to quest to the Astral Plane and the Graveyard of the Gods, or in the Elder tongues "Isvarya Talifar", they are each contacted by messenger bearing a sealed note from Ethran Drakhat, the party's patronand broker working on behalf of the mysterious Auctioneers.

The note is short and simple, reading thusly...
Final instructions await, 2 days hence at dusk. -Ethran

The plan, at least as explained thus far, is to retrieve a sizable piece of a dead god at return it to the Auctioneers (or Ethran by proxy).
ManthisFocht

Re: Three Sheets to the Astral Plane!

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:45 am

The final meeting (for now, anyway) with Ethran went smoothly, wherein Devdan and his crew of Tahiri, Tyrani, Rhyl, and Kurik were given some final information and some advice on accomplishing their goal of traveling to the legendary "Isvarya Talifar", aka The Graveyard of the Gods.

Being nearly impossible to locate in ones lifetime throguh research and exploration alone, it was suggested that they aquire a guide of somesort to take them there. With little other information, Ethran gave the PCs a name (if you could call it that), "Captain X". Alledgedly, and it was unclear how Ethran knew any of this, Captain X is some sort of sailor on the Astral Plane who is aware of the location of Isvarya Talifar. However, Ethran has no way of contacting Captain X.

Instead, he suggested the PCs attempt to locate and use something called the Astral Cerebrum. Apparently, this device allows an individual or group to broadcast thoughts, desires, emotions etc to the Astral Plane... It is thought and hoped that should the party be able to locate this device and use it properly, they can contact Captain X and perhaps recieve a response.

The party was able to teleport to the alledged location of the Astral Cerebrum, a ruin in the High Ice log abandoned. After some trouble with the "giant" door, the party made it inside of a large, natural-ish cavern. After some initial searching, they determined that there was little of note in this area. Before they could press on, however, something like an earthquake has started! The ground is trembling and rumbling from deep below their feet...!

((The next session will be this THURSDAY, MARCH 27th at 9 PM EST. If you have not already done so - please fPM me Stat blocks and references for your PC's abilities!))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Though tense, the fight with the Frost Worm ended as quickly as it began and other than a wounded Kurik and Tahiri, none of you seem too worse for the wear... save for perhaps your nerves. As the darkness brought on by the frost worm disappears, you can see that it has exhumed a massive pit that was concealed by the snow, but you can now see clearly. It is a vertical shaft that extends down perhaps 100' and seems to contain the remains of the collapsed tower above. Nothing of note, however, is immediately apparent, though who can tell what is below if you should care to explore in more detail.

Now that the cave has been refilled with relative silence, you can still see the natural-ish tunnels that extend in either direction away from the door. Both are too long and turn before you can see what is at the end.

The mission remains the same, find the Astral Cerebrum to contact Captain X, travel to the Astral Plane and then the Graveyard of the Gods!

((Next session will be April 10th at 8 PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:52 am

((Friendly bump reminding you all that we are still on for this week, April 10th, at 8 PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:45 am

Having explored two of the ruin's tunnels, the party has come across what they expect is the Astral Cerebrum. It is a massive, magnificent and well crafted stone orb, perhaps 15' across. The party has started to try and manipulate or use the orb, and is meeting limited success. Some report it humming as they press their hands on it and growing stronger as they focus on it in certain places (Kurik), others have noted that it lashed out at them with some sort of magical attack (happened to Tahiri and which seemingly failed, so the effects of which were unknown). The rest have tried their luck at activating the orb, but have not experienced any effects at all.

Still, as the party ponders the mantra that has been seen throughout the ruins ("With our blood, the orb is safe. From the earth may you spring and journey to the stars above and beyond, onto your wildest dreams.") After some time, it seems that Tahiri has managed to get the orb to give some sort of response to her vocal questions...

Is this the object that the party came for? Will they be able to use it to contact the mysterious Captain X? Tune in next week!

((Same bat time, same bat channel. Thursday, 4/17 @ 8PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

((Just a reminder that we have a scene TOMORROW at 8PM EST - See you then!))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:30 pm

((Time of my night meeting got moved, make the start time 9 PM EST please))
ManthisFocht

Postby Stam » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 pm

[And...I'll either be not here at all or very late. I'll be headed back to the hospital to bring my wife her vitally-needed miscellaneous stuff.

We honestly tried really hard to have the baby come LAST week, but the damn thing was more stubborn than either of us and insisted on coming ON Passover.]
Stam

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 am

((My house closing is scheduled for Thursday so it is probably best to skip this upcoming week. Next session will be MAY 1st at 8 PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:55 am

((Just a reminder that we are still a go for TOMORROW, MAY 1st at 8PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

This month Thursdays are fine. But starting in June I'm not sure what my schedule in the evening is going to be like. I am going to be driving across the countryside this summer dropping off and picking up my kids from the grandparents. So I'm not sure yet what time I will be getting home on Thursdays. My goal is to be home and ready by 9pm EST, but who knows if that'll work out. :( I'll keep you posted.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 am

((Next session is this THURSDAY MAY 8TH at 8 PM EST))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Wed May 07, 2014 7:20 am

((Reminder that we are still on for Thursday, TOMORROW))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 am

After some time given to the party to get settled into your spartan, but not too cramped, bunk room, you are all summoned to the Captain's table for dinner. Much like you would expect on any other ship, the quarters are tight for all, the Captain included, but the feast spread before you, soft candle light, and pitchers of wine before you give it a great appeal. Salted pork is the main dish but many exotic looking fruits, nuts, breads, fish and other foods abound. The Captain bids you to take your seats before sitting down himself.

Aside from the handful of crew members bustling around the table refilling your glasses and piling food high on your plates, you are the only ones at the table aside from the Captain. It doesn't take long for him to get to business after introductions are out of the way. As Devdan had mentioned it upon boarding, he does indeed know the way to Isvarya Talifar - The Graveyard of the Gods. In fact, probably the reason his name was made known to you is that he intended on traveling there himself, though he does not mention specifically why. It is a long and dangerous journey, he cautions, but based on what he saw you do to that Deep Beast on his deck, he is confident that you will make a worthy contribution to his crew... And that is all he requires of you. Stand amongst his marines for the journey to and from Isvarya Talifar - what business you accomplish while there is your own. If the terms are amenable, then we have an accord.

((The next session is Thursday May 15th at 8 PM EST - Feel free to post any questions or actions here, but next session will start with a bit of dinner RP before we move along. See you then!))
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Sat May 17, 2014 6:13 am

((I have a meeting next thursday night, ending (hopefully) around 7:30 PM CST, home around 8 CST. If you are all okay with a later start and still getting a few hours in, then that works for me... If not - we can just skip the week.))
ManthisFocht

Next

Return to In Character Roleplaying