Research into the misty afternoon (Attn Kylan)

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Research into the misty afternoon (Attn Kylan)

Postby David » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:31 am

After the events of that misty afternoon, Kristoff and Kylan headed off to the elven temple that Kylan had suggested to see if they could get help in discovering the identity of the owner of the coat they had in their possession or the region where the coins he possessed had come from. Kristoff still remembered the man's last word before he vanished, playing it over in his head to make sure he remembered it as it could be another clue in case they found a linguist. Kristoff had not issues with going to the elven temple as he was quite comfortable with them, having grown up in The High Forest, training under an elven druid.
David

Re: Research into the misty afternoon (Attn Kylan)

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Kylan is more than willing to have a meeting with some elders at the temple. (Not sure when we can get together with the dm for this one.)
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Murdling » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm

((You two still looking to do this?))
Murdling

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:26 pm

I"m game, but I need some advance notice on planning. Thursday evening around 9pm EST would work for me.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby David » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 am

(I am, I was just waiting for a response on what we found out. I was hoping we could do the research scene in the forums as between a newborn and work my free time is scattered and unpredictable)
David

Postby Murdling » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Finding the elven temple is not hard. Finding a priest with spare time might be a little more so, and finding the RIGHT priest is an exercise in patience. For elves. For anyone else it's an excruciating task that takes all day, but at least they let you linger around in pleasant gardens in the process right? They find one person, who says they are not the right person and that they will go fetch someone more knowledgeable. Asking after this would just be met with assurances that it's coming along, only for that person to need to pass them off as well. Watching fair folk come and go and listening to the occasional hymn which is frankly prone to making one drowsy after so much run around, right up until-

The voice is a bit abrupt, and sounds tired. Looks tired too. The elf is an older man (must be pretty damn old for an elf) in weathered white robes with no clear signs that he's anyone important. Yet here he is.

"Hello there children. I'm given to understand you two have been waiting for me, with questions.
Murdling

Postby David » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 am

(Sorry for the delay in replying)

Kristoff bows respectfully to the elderly elf and responds back in elven. As one listens to how he speaks the language, it becomes evident that he is quiet fluent, having used it on a daily basis.

"I thank you for taking the time to help us in these matters. We have some items that were possessed by a man who was kidnapped by strange creatures and hoped you might be able to help us in locating either the man or the region he is from. We also have some strange coins that we can only presume are from that region as well but do not recognize them. If there is one who has studied languages in the temple, I memorized some of what he said to us in hopes of getting it translated."
David

Postby Murdling » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:30 am

The elf moves slowly. First looking at the items as they're shown, and almost seems prepared to do something about it right up until the last part. "Ah, we'll address that first then. While it's as fresh as possible." He'd reach out for the shoulder of one of the young students in the temple, sending them for parchment and quill. "As to the languages I'm sure we can do something, either by knowledge or divination. What manner of creatures do you speak of though, and where did they take this man?"
Murdling

Postby David » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 am

Not wishing to leave out some detail that could be vital, Kristoff proceeds to tell the elderly elf the whole story of what occurred, with time seeming to stop with the arrival of the mist, the terrified man and the strange creatures whose only purpose was to retrieve the man and take him back to where ever they were from. Once the student returned with parchment and quill Kristoff recites what he remembered of what the man said to them, including his last word as that seemed important.
David

Postby Murdling » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:40 pm

The old elf was as patient as you'd expect when it came to the story, which is to say he asks Kristoff to slow down more than once while he takes a note or two. Brow furrowed mightily, and yet never much changing expression beyond that point. Eventually though the recounting is finished, and so continues their plight.

"Well, it certainly doesn't sound like any Faerunian language I know of.. or any planar one for that matter. If you'll just afford me a moment here I'll.."

He doesn't bother finishing that. Just takes the paper in a weathered hand squints, while quietly moving his lips. Murmuring a simple prayer.

"That's.. a bit troubling. He seemed to be entreating any who would listen for help. Saying it wasn't his fault, whatever 'it' is, and then the final word is simply an earnest form of 'I'm sorry' as far as I can tell."
Murdling

Return to In Character Roleplaying