The Rabbit Hole

In Character Announcements, Narratives, News and Events

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

The Rabbit Hole

Postby ManthisFocht » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

(( The "word on the street version of the events is here: viewtopic.php?p=26762#p26762 ))

The group re-emerges from the sewer, in various stages of cleanliness, to find a group of guards keeping back a small gathering of bystanders from the very dead beggar you all passed in your pursuit. Recognizing you are not the orcs that several witnesses reported, they bring you up to speed what happened topside while you were in pursuit.

There were actually two victims hung by red ropes from buildings in the docks, both by orcs that quickly fled the scene and have since disappeared if the witness reports are to be believed. Details and reports on their identities vary, but they both seem to be "known do-gooders" of some sort and relatively popular with some members of the crowd. The third victim, dead at your feet, appears to be a common street beggar that will not be missed, say the guards.

A detachment is sent down to recover the orc bodies, but are dismayed that is seems their leader is likely the murder and has escaped. The Sergeant, however, does thank you for the assistance, however. He mentions that reports from Griffonriders, mounted patrols, and indeed, even some adventuring types have pointed towards a serious and growing orc problem to the north and west... Hopefully not to late for action. The only fully vetted and confirmed reports, however, are some mining camps that have been raided in the Sword Mountains... In fact, he notes that the markings on pouch of ingots you recovered are from such a place.

--------------------------
Loot recovered:
2 Daggers (poisoned?)
1 Falchion
3 x Leather Armor
Pouch of small cold iron ingots - Stamped (approximately 150 gp worth)
1 Potion CLW
3 Javelins
--------------------------
((We will be continuing next WEDNESDAY - 8/12/15 - AT 7 PM EST or therebouts. Because we are still in town, those wanting to still join or those needing to bow out can still do so.))
ManthisFocht

Re: The Rabbit Hole

Postby ManthisFocht » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm

We are still on for tonight, might be a little after 7 EST however.
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:46 pm

The poor light given off by your campfire and the general chaos of battle prevented you from getting a very good look at the hair covered humanoid, however, upon its death you still seem to be a bit puzzled... It looks quite odd, certainly nothing any of you have seen before. For better or worse, you are at least sure that it is neither a man nor an orc... ((Knowledge Nature, anyone?)) ((http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG15.jpg))

The remainder of the night is quiet, and with first light, you are able to survey the surrounding area a little better. A small carry pack is found against a tree near where you first spotted the creature. There are a few potions that are surely of value, however, the rest of the pack contains grungy camping supplies - a bed roll, fire starter, a cook pot, some jerky of questionable origin, and a handful of trail rations.

POTIONS FOUND:
4 x CLW
2 X Lesser Restoration
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will resume WEDNESDAY 8/19 around 7:30 PM EST ... I think we have 3 sessions left, so we need to discuss future scheduling as well... If Weds. still work for everyone, I think that might be best.
ManthisFocht

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:21 pm

((Just a reminder to all that we will be continuing THIS WEDS. AUG 26th around 7:30 PM EST and hopefully CONCLUDING the adventure on SEPT. 2nd))
ManthisFocht

Postby Raina » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:10 am

My Internet is flakey - I may not be able to make it in!
Raina

Postby ManthisFocht » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 am

((This is a general FF of the events following the last session. If you have questions/actions/etc to insert at any point, that is still very possible - just let me know.))

Wrap-up:

The unlikely Rubal strikes hard and fast with his staff and finally knocks the Tanarukk to the ground - blood pouring from its nose, mouth, and multiple wounds... Your blows were not mighty, but collectively they managed to take down the brute. Arelliano, however, is in a similar state after having several chucks of exposed flesh ripped and bit free by fang and claw alike. Thinking quick, you dig up the last potion remaining and pour it down is throat - within moments, thankfully, he regains consciousness and his wounds close enough to fend off death and allow him to groggily move around.

Taking a minute or so to investigate your immediate surroundings, listening for sounds of movement and the like, you are confident the area is secure and the dwarf engineers and militia men begin to stack the fire fodder (and stripped bodies) inside the mine chamber. The dwarves also take some time to begin closing off some of the tunnels in the area to funnel the smoke more directly to the mine entrance where the battle horns can still be heard directing troop movements for the siege. The whole process takes about an hour. At long last, the fire is lit and with the massive pile of consumables along with the heaps of natural accelerates added, the fire is soon roaring. Leaves, tar, hay, some alchemicals, the orc bodies… it all burns and chocking black smoke soon fills the chamber and the tunnels beyond!

The final touch, the massive forge billows that were loaded onto one of the wagons, is brought forward and inserted into the narrow passage carved into the seal and, with slow and methodical purpose, begins to agitate the flames inside.

There is little you can do to be sure if the plan is actually working or not… Leave for the front and more orcs could arrive to scuttle the plan. If it’s not working, the front could be in peril of a direct attack… As the minutes pass, the tension rises.

However, perhaps after 30 minutes, battle horns from the front are heard sounding an aggressive attack… and within minutes, victory. The militia sound an acknowledging reply, and your detachment leaves for the front to rejoin the main force and celebrate. When you arrive, choking black smoke rolls out of the front of the mine and the ground outside of it is littered with dead orc bodies, and a few of the towns militia as well… but of the dozens that set out to lay siege to the entrance, easily 4 of 5 survived the fight – far better than was hoped for and an overwhelming success!

The battlefield is cleaned and a defensible camp is set for the night – the entrance to the mine is turned into a kill zone as smoke continues to pour from the mine and orcs stagger out one or two at a time and promptly cut down in a hail of arrows. In the morning, a detachment is sent in to the mines and reports that they are abandoned save for a few dozen dead orcs who did not make it out. The victory is complete. The militia spends the day carrying supplies, weapons, and other valuables out of the mines and, well, prepared it to bring it back to operation. Your time at the settlement has shown you many things, but paramount is that without the mine/metal goods to trade and sell for food, these people would very quickly become destitute and starve.
After a few days work, the militia packs up the wagons and heads back home, where a victory feast – meager by Waterdeep standards - is held in celebration of the militia, and of course, the lot of you. Without you, they may still have succeeded, but there is no doubt that you saved dozens of lives and secured the prosperity of the settlement for years to come.

In thanks, they present you with a large chest of coin, recovered from the mine and offer you at-cost discounts on any of the metal ingots or items of special craft they can produce from the mine.

Some scouts report that several small bands of orcs, no more than a dozen or so in total, did manage to escape the battle, but are separated, unorganized, and fleeing at full pace to the North into the mountains or West towards the coast.

((There is 2,000 gp gold in all, 500 each. You can also buy special material items made of mithril or cold iron AT COST (pending DM approval) while in town))
ManthisFocht

Postby Kemian » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:21 am

(This sort of reward has been offered before by other player DM's and DM's.)

Arelliano would very much like to purchase enough materials for a mithral chain shirt. Between what he has saved and the current award he has enough gold to cover the cost.
Kemian

Postby Lifeinwinter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Just gold for Syial.
Lifeinwinter

Postby Raina » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Nehili, who seems irate at the whole matter, wants a good, high-quality crossobow, and bolts.
Raina

Postby Murdling » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:37 am

I wish I could think of something more noteworthy to go with on this but I can't think of any metal gear Rubal would require. Gold then.
Murdling

Postby Kemian » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:11 pm

So umm...are we back in Waterdeep or are we still waiting on something?
Kemian

Postby ManthisFocht » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:53 am

((Was/am on vacation, apologies that I wasn't clear - yes - you are free and back in Waterdeep))
ManthisFocht

Return to In Character Roleplaying