Archive

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: Question of Clerics

Postby Rosemadder » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 am

Great Ideas, and I point out we are UNLIKELY to be house-ruling a change here. It's an easy fix with feats and items.

Thanks for the question!
Rosemadder

Postby tooitalian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 pm

There are also some domains that give intimidate as a class skill, but that's not a fix either, I don't like the idea of taking a feat just to add a skill, but that may be the most advantageous method
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
tooitalian

Postby Azmon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 pm

A lot of class skill options really don't make sense.
Azmon

Hexblade Revision

Postby Serpent Axis » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:59 am

Anyone with more than a passing familiarity with the Hexblade class can see two things - one of which is potential, the other is terrible design.

Terrible to the point where Mike Mearls, one of the people who created the class came out and said this:

"The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5's life.
As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky or potentially broken aren't. Other times, we learn things that look fine don't actually
work in play.

Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren't. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed.

If you want to boost the hexblade, I'd try the following changes:

* Good Fortitude save
* Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
* Curse ability usable as a swift action
* Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
* Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
* At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.

The key to the hexblade is his curse ability, but it's a little un-fun to have it so limited in use. The hexblade also has trouble casting spells and using his melee attacks, so shifting spells to swift actions fits in with the idea of an armored mage."

From the mouths of creators...

Needless to say, I'm in favor of implementing those suggestions.
In the past, a revision for the Hexblade was suggested, but you guys refused because you felt that it would be unfair to the other classes and that this sort of work will put a strain on the DMs.

I'd like to point out:

1. You guys have already done similar revisions on the Sorcerer and Half-Orc.

2. One of the reasons I believe it wouldn't be unfair to give the Hexblade this sort of attention is that all those other classes receive a lot of attention in publications and have options readily available to them in terms of Feats and Prestige Classes that build upon their features and improve them - while the Hexblade receives almost no attention (beyond a few additional spells to his meager list here and there).

3. Quoted above is a list of suggestions written by one of the people who created the class, readily available.

In light of this, I'd like to suggest this revision for your consideration.
I realize that revising a Class in SCORES might or might not be very convenient, but would appreciate at least considering making the revision.
Serpent Axis

Some help

Postby Sister » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 am

I have a new character I'd like to get into adventures but I can only do these on sundays and mondays. Or tuesdays during the day before 9pm. I have to work on tuesdays and leave at 9pm. Can I get someone interested in running something for me and whom ever wishes to join in?
Sister

Re: Some help

Postby tooitalian » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:08 am

I could run something on sundays
tooitalian

Postby Sister » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 pm

That would be wonderful John. I can only get into something on those days and its hard to catch the other adventures going on during the week. I just can't get into them cause they are ran to late for me to be able to participate. Give it some thought and when you have something to run let me know. I'm open sunday and monday all day and night. I just have to know when you want to start so i can arrange my sleep around it.
Sister

Postby tooitalian » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:01 pm

fPM me your PC info. Class, race, AC, etc.
tooitalian

Postby adragonb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:42 pm

I should be able to play on those times too with Adolamin. especially to give sister's character some company. Just a thought, so let me know.
adragonb

Previous

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions