Question on Solo scenes.

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Question on Solo scenes.

Postby Nelfein » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 pm

What types of solo scenes are we allowed to have? I was told there is a rule in place that no scene that has peril in it is allowed to be run solo.

So, if I made a thief and wanted to do thiefly things like breaking and entering to steal things as a solo scene or would that be a no as well.

Or is it only RP scenes that have no skill usage with failures that could result in death?
Nelfein

Re: Question on Solo scenes.

Postby Rosemadder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:24 pm

When you say solo, do you mean a dm or pdm will run the scene for one player? Or for example, only your chr will be there, you running it, no other chrs present, no moderators?
Rosemadder

Postby Nelfein » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:38 pm

1 dm/pdm and 1 player.
Nelfein

Postby Jiriki » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

He means PDM run scene as in a one on one adventure. The problem with it is that in the rules stated by Seeker from where ever she got them I think it was on the front end of the old site, it states that solo scenes cannot be run due to the level of peril or something?
Jiriki

Postby Ian » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Here's the thing on solo scenes:

They are more dangerous than party-based scenes (economy of actions and mutual support among them--if you get unlucky dice going solo, there's no one handy to save your ass), but that's not really why we discourage them.

We discourage them primarily because this is a social site that already often doesn't have enough adventures for people to get in on. In many cases, DMs and PDMs have limited time to run stuff with, and a character that is built on the idea of getting a lot of solo action is basically taking time from scenes that could be involving and entertaining multiple players.

Does that mean solo scenes can never happen? No. Sometimes plot calls for a single person to be involved, either with setting a plot hook or doing a solo negotiation or the like. Or sometimes it's the middle of the night, there's only two people around, one person feels like running and the other person feels like playing, and Bob's your uncle.

It's been said that we have a lot of weird rules here. In this case, as in many others, it's more of a recommendation based on some extreme circumstances that arose in the distant past--specifically, a recommendation to use some sense and courtesy after a couple of stretches where we had solo-focused PCs that were really sapping time and energy from DMs' ability to run for more players.

Long story short: You can go solo, but if there's an option for you to involve other people, we'd really prefer it if you did so. And we'd really rather you didn't build a PC that needs to get a lot of solo action for its concept, for reasons aforementioned.

That make more sense to people?
Ian

Postby Jiriki » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Yes, thanks that's much better.
Jiriki

Postby Nelfein » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Yep, perfect. Thanks
Nelfein

Postby driochtor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 pm

That's SO good to know, as Maggy's PRC requirements pretty much require solo play or..well..some very open minded PCs. ;p
driochtor

Postby tooitalian » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm

She and Ryan need to make up, he's pretty 'open minded'
He who laughs last, laughs alone.
tooitalian

Postby Seekerthefallen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am

What Ian said, is exactly what I was getting to. I didn't say, No. I said that Generally as a Rule it's No. For more often reasons it's because of "Peril" but, Ian's clarification is exactly the Rule Reference I was using.
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions