Weather or Not:

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Weather or Not:

Postby Seekerthefallen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 am

(( Actually found a lot of instances on other sites, referencing the type of weather that should be typical for our little town. This is copied out from another site, because it was pretty straight forward and did sort of set the scene for what fall and Winter should be like.))

Waterdeep’s Climate

Waterdeep lies slightly above the 45 degree north latitude line on Toril. The oceans proximity moderates the more severe aspects of the northern climate, so rain falls as commonly as snow in fall and spring, changing roads to rivers of mud. Prevailing winds blow from the west to the east.

A vast southward-moving current usually called the Southern Drift by sailors lies immediately offshore from Waterdeep. This current is the tail end of a gigantic clockwise rotating current in the northern Trackless Sea between Maztica and Faerun, encircling the Moonshaes and Evermeet. Interesting debris from the sea sometimes floats past Waterdeep on the current.
Arctic winds often sweep down over Waterdeep in late fall and winter, moving from the northwest to the southeast, carrying ferocious storms, snow, hail, and freezing rain. Icebergs are rarely seen here because of the warm offshore current, but ice often forms along the shore in winter and may clog Waterdeep’s harbor.

Icy roads are easier to travel over than muddy ones, which is why the spring thaw is regarded with glum favor by travelers, merchants, and soldiers
"Even if you silence me, My silence will still defy you"-Me

"It's not Lying...It's Neglecting the important parts"-Me

"I'm Not stealing.. I'm borrowing with the intention of not returning."-Me
Seekerthefallen

Re: Weather or Not:

Postby Failbhe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:23 am

Was thinking about this last night as one of my characters is actually on the road here in the early, early spring time.

Ed Greenwood has said that Waterdeep is at the equivalent of the 57th parallel with a warm southern current like Europe rather than the cold northern currents like western US/Canada. Something a kin to Glascow, Scotland.
Makin - 6th lvl (Cleric of Amaunator 5 / Combat Medic 1)
Ogmios Vox - 1st lvl (Bard 1)
Fios-Khelek Heru (Grunt Ka Thunk) - 20th (Rogue 3 / Wizard 3 / Frostmage 4 / Arcane Trickster 10)
Failbhe

Postby Jiriki » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 am

I've tended to use Seattle to be honest as a weather template.
Jiriki

Postby Rosemadder » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Greenwood is a hell of a citation. We have two types of weather though, in city-- magicked for great business and beyond the protective uhhhh umbrella? Mind, its not an umbrella...
Rosemadder

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions