Class Levels

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Re: Class Levels

Postby J.C. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Well, when I had the braincell explode with this thought, which is now lost forever, I never thought it would become this, ummm, heated.

Actually, for me a simple yes or no would have sufficed.

I am glad I got some folk thinking, though I would never want an argument over it. It just seemed to me as the next logical step.

Happy to take a No as my answer and leave it at that.

The Instigator, J.C.
muhahaha :)
J.C.

Postby Murdling » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:10 am

I'm fine with a no if there's no discussion to be had about it but I'd still like an apology for the way that sounded toward those of us who enjoy the mechanics of the game, and the gigantic like button that immediately followed it.
Murdling

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 am

Murdling, my posts were not intended as an attack on you or anyone else. I'm sorry if that's how you took them, but that was not the intent and I stand by what I said. There are those who enjoy the mechanic side of the game more than anything. d20 has so many books and rules that it's hard not play the game without some appreciation for that aspect of gaming. :)

On the flip side, there is also the rp and concept aspect of the game. I was attempting to support that idea. Supporting one side doesn't automatically mean it's an attack on another. There is room for both styles of play within the game already.

And for what it's worth, I have killed off quite a few characters in my time as a pDM and DM. None of those deaths was from a weak build. All of the pc deaths I've handed out or witnessed (or experienced firsthand!) could be blamed on unwise decisions, or bad dice, or a combination thereof. I probably still hold the record for most pc deaths outside of combat. (Death by RP anyone?) I'm pretty sure a 5th class would not have had any effect at all. Maybe other people have seen something different, but that's my experience.

So how about we all just agree to disagree and move on?
JuneBarcarolle

Postby Stam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:48 am

As I noted, some concepts really need the extra help. Some require it.

An example I encountered just the last couple of days: The Teflamnar Shadowlord.

This is a high-profile assassin/enforcer of a thieves guild that usually requires a minimum of two classes just to enter, even if you want to fail at it, and it's a close-in melee combat class so it requires a high proficiency and damage output. This is ... difficult to pull off in any kind of concept without a lot of help.

The best option I found for entry and progression went like so:
Rogue3/Swashbuckler3 - this gets you one entry requirement, plus some melee competence and damage boost. It also establishes an early reputation for underhanded tactics and melee.
Trapsmith1 - Because booby traps kill people nicely, or distract them with minor damage while you move out of the shadow to apply dagger to their back.
Swiftblade3 - more melee competence, provides another feat requirement, while progressing Trapsmith casting to meet spell requirement for Teflamnar.
Teflamnar4 - where you finally meet the important part you built for, and the pinnacle of your thieves guild career.
Swiftblade 4-9 - finishing off your 20 levels with some more melee competence and a nice capstone.

14 levels, 5 classes required. There are other ways to build a Teflamnar, but this is the most melee-centric I have managed to produce that does not require items from banned books.
Stam

Previous

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions