Taking care of your character.

A place to discuss the setting, rules and anything else Out of Character.

Moderator: Dungeon Masters

Taking care of your character.

Postby Jeremy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey folks,

I just wanted to make sure that the expectations the DM's have your you all are know regarding taking care of your characters.

Recently we had some PC's who had a run-in with a wererat. Two characters were bitten during the scenes and had indeed contracted lycanthropy. HOWEVER! The players were not told specifically. The DM rolled for this and kept the info private because honestly a character wouldn't just magically know if they had gotten infected by a disease or not. The players then went about their business.

There are a couple things here that need to be addressed. First, always remember that your character is your responsibility. If something happens IC then it is your duty to figure out how to handle that IC. Some of the problems that I think we ran into with this scene are that players did not want to be accused of metagaming regarding lycanthropy. Remember, that you can always ask a DM what your character would know regarding any given subject (in this case lycanthropy is actually a relatively well known thing. Heck, theres even a deity devoted to it.) And also the players I think assumed that the DM's/pDM's would be doing more to directly follow up with them instead of just watching to see how they reacted. Once again, your character, your responsibility.

Now I am not harping specifically on the players from the wererat scene it was just this that made me see it. This should be something that every player on the site takes note of. When you are in a scene where things could have happened to your character it is part of the roleplaying experience to follow up and make sure things are alright. The DM's are not going to always tell you every single thing that happens. There will be secret rolls and things going on behind the scenes but there will be clues IC that something happened and you should pay attention to these and then look into it on your own. You can ask your DM/pDM questions and such and they will help guide you if you need it.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy

Postby Jiriki » Wed May 14, 2008 8:44 am

I completely agree with Jeremy. If your dice happen to fall that way for the DM/pDM or whoever else runs the scene, then you have GOT to RP the consequences! After all chaps, why else would you all be here if not to get in some decent RP? Having a character suddenly affected this way should be an excuse to really throw that boat out!

HAPPY RPing!!!!
Jiriki

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 am

I find this argument of "taking care of your own" quite interesting, considering some months ago, when Tyrani, Keth'ean, Kaileta and a few others were in an encounter under the Dock Ward and ran into some Wererats, and I wasn't permitted to play my pc, but was not only told what "someone else" did with her, but that I had no choice in the matter.

She was bit or scratched, the party took the rescued 'rat food' up to the temple, and Keth'ean fully intended to go to her own physician, Evander. And when I attempted to role play that, I was "informed" that, no, she "would have been checked and healed by the temple", whether I wanted her to or not.

Postby RandomT » Thu May 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Yeah, I hate HMOs
RandomT

Postby JuneBarcarolle » Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Sometimes the person running such a scene may have something in mind to take care of the PCs. Other times, the players are on their own. Everyone has different styles of running games. Also, in the past this is something we really haven't had come up, so putting in a contigency to cure potential PC lycanthropy victims isn't surprising (or wrong). If the DM wants to add in something to take care of diseases and whatnot in the wrap-up of a game, that's perfectly allowable. I think the point Jeremy is trying to make is that players shouldn't assume that's always going to be the case.
I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
JuneBarcarolle

Postby tachus » Fri May 16, 2008 12:22 pm

hmm... i seem to remember Dydd and Jerek (way back when) both running around like idiots when they found out they were going to turn into seals... heh.. good times, good times...

anyways, i agree with June that a contingency plan for if PCs are bite when you run a game with lycanthropes, is a good idea. But don't force it on the players. Basically just have an idea of 'if they figure it out and wander around then they can head here' type thing, rather than having it as more of a they will end up here and cured if they figure it out or not.

PC loss is part of the game anyways, and while we might not all like it, its inevitable...
tachus

Postby Mark » Fri May 16, 2008 12:25 pm

June is correct. If PCs assume that they are going to be scoped out for lycanthropy at the end of the adventure for free at the cost of the DM, the entire inherent risk of the disease is removed.
Mark

Postby Achan » Fri May 16, 2008 12:56 pm

All right. I'll bite. (lousy pun)

Aside from the meta-gaming issue, the whole problem (in my case anyway) is just "what the hell do I do and should I bother the DM about it?". It's not really a problem of assuming everything is just fine and hunky dory in the end, or not wanting to be responsible for a character's actions or what happens to her/him; it's more of a player personality thing - a lack of assertiveness on the player's part to figure what can be done.

Sounds silly, I know. But uncertainty and anxiety could be a problem with other players as well. In which case, it needs to be made clear that communication is pretty dang important.

Next time, instead of a Nerf bat I'll be sure to use metal. And right away too. :)
Achan

Postby Jiriki » Fri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm

I seem to remember a spot of nerves is good for rp. Therefore, I think players should allow the DMs to get on with it. A bit of secrecy and nerves are all part of the game. A bit of mystery. A bit of.... je ne se quoi... mystique?
Jiriki

Return to OOC Questions, Answers & Discussions